What tv to buy?

Hey, looking for some advice. I was about to buy this tv:

Future Shop: TV & Video: 50" & Larger TVs: LG 52" 1080p 120Hz Flat-Panel LCD HDTV** (52LG70) - Future Shop Exclusive

but then I saw this tv for $900 less:

Future Shop: TV & Video: 50" & Larger TVs: Samsung 50" Plasma HDTV** (PN50A450)

Which would you get? Main use will be watching tv (non HD at this time), watching dowloaded torrent movies/shows and playing wii. My understanding is that the 1080 isn't a big deal except for blue ray which I won't have/get as HDTV is just 720 anyhow.

So, plasma vs lcd, any real difference in the real world? Any opinions on the specific tvs?

Thanks

Comments

• GTA Poker wrote: »
    Hey, looking for some advice. I was about to buy this tv:

Future Shop: TV & Video: 50" & Larger TVs: LG 52" 1080p 120Hz Flat-Panel LCD HDTV** (52LG70) - Future Shop Exclusive

but then I saw this tv for $900 less:

Future Shop: TV & Video: 50" & Larger TVs: Samsung 50" Plasma HDTV** (PN50A450)

Which would you get? Main use will be watching tv (non HD at this time), watching dowloaded torrent movies/shows and playing wii. My understanding is that the 1080 isn't a big deal except for blue ray which I won't have/get as HDTV is just 720 anyhow.

So, plasma vs lcd, any real difference in the real world? Any opinions on the specific tvs?

Thanks

Get the Samsung and in 3 years buy a better TV than both for $900.
  • I like Samsung. That model is a few years old now though. But it's cheap and meets your needs now so the above post isn't a bad idea. But if you intend it to be your main tv for the next 5~10 years you might want to pay a bit more.
  • did you ever buy the TV? I am thinking of getting a new TV in the near future but likely a little smaller (42' range).
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    did you ever buy the TV? I am thinking of getting a new TV in the near future but likely a little smaller (42' range).

Wait until boxing day (or Black Friday)...the prices of TVs have been on a literal free fall.
  • Yah, free fall....I bought a 37" Sharp Aquos 2 years ago for $2K =(

If you goto Futureshop, go haggle them about prices...they'll drop it even more.

If you're not planning to get HD, I would suggest keep your TV you have now if it meets all your needs. Otherwise, when you're ready get the TV and HD at the same time. Usually Future Shop has this deals for getting HD with Rogers when you purchase a HDTV.
  • schabs wrote: »
    Get LCD!

I personally like plasma; LCD looks too fake.
  • I have always had good luck with both Toshiba and Panasonic.
  • Sharp IMO is my personal favourite...but I'm no expert by any means. Just times when I have see them with others side to side, it just "looked" better and sharper (no pun intended)
  • I bought the 52" samsung plasma and it's great
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I bought the 52" samsung plasma and it's great

my friend bought a 50' plasma Samsung on the weekend. This seems to be the tv of choice.
  • There's lots of research that should be done. Then you have to look and see and compare. For me LCDs over 42" or so are not attractive. I don't like the motion blur or studder effects at all. I also notice the screen door effect on LCDs that large.

So for me over 42" I was looking at plasmas. However they get quite hot and since it was going into a small room with little airflow that was an issue. They also draw a lot of power and some can be a little noisy. The quality of them varies a lot. I had decided on Samsung as being good enough without breaking the bank.

So if you want a wall mounted tv and it's over 4X" in size I would recommend a good plasma.

However if you are willing to sacrifice a bit of viewing angle and you don't mind a rear projector I would have a good look at the new Samsung LED DLPs (at least the 700 series if not the new 800s). If you want to go big (like 60"+) then this is a real option. These are about half the price of thier Plasma counter parts. They use 1/3rd the power. They generate next to no heat. With the LED lighting there are no longer any moving parts to wear out or be heard (lamps, colour wheels)... and the rainbow effect with DLPs is a thing of the past.

In the end I went with the Samsung LED DLP rear projector. You can get the 62" version from Costco for $2000 including stand. They also had the 72" last time I was there. I think Bad Boy has the 67" version.

For some reason everyone thinks they need a flat screen so that is all Future Shop and Best Buy sell but that's simply not the case. My unit is 16" deep and so it comes out only as far as a standard TV stand does.

Just something else to consider... given the huge price difference.
  • I also notice the screen door effect on LCDs that large.

If you see the screen door effect on anything, you are standing too close to the set.

Oh, GTA.. Totally go with a DLP projector. You'll get a 100inch image that looks phenominal. I put one up in my Home Theatre room and it always gets wows..
  • BBC Z wrote: »

Oh, GTA.. Totally go with a DLP projector. You'll get a 100inch image that looks phenominal. I put one up in my Home Theatre room and it always gets wows..

Link to product?

• I bought the Optoma HD32 (720p, bright like a spotlight) after looking around a lot on on sites like projectorcentral and stuff.. It was $1100 at Costco.

If you don't live on the surface of the sun, a projector will still look good with a fair amount of light in a room