Top 3 people acting like morons on TV.

Well, now that TSN has finished airing the WSOP main event, I thought I'd share with you my top 3 list of people I hope I never find myself at a poker table with. And it has nothing to do with their ability.

1. Mike Matusow
2. Josh Arieh
3. Mattias Anderson (sorry Scotty).

Reasons:

Mike -- Well, this one's pretty obvious. I point to every word that comes out of his mouth as evidence of his moronitude. (;) )

Josh -- He berates his opponent's play when he loses, and he berates his opponent's play when he wins. What a jerk.

Mattias -- I know that his shouts of 'DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA' are just because he was excited or something (he has posted something to that effect on RGP) but come on, have a little tact. Even though he just won a big pot, someone else lost a big pot. It's OK to be happy, but show some respect for your opponents by at least attempting to downplay it a bit.

Did I miss anyone?

Cheers,
all_aces

Comments

• How about Fischman's head to head with Doyle. Trying to make it look like he has him all figured out before he gets busted. I like the other guy at the table who looks at him and says "So when is your book coming out?". (or something like that).

Sheesh, is there no respect anymore?

On the other hand it could be creative editing too.
  • Josh Arieh is a nob.
  • Did I miss anyone?

Phil Hellmuth and Annie Duke?

As for Annie Duke, let me just say that she's no Erin Ness. ;)

I recently saw Annie in a post-Gutshot interview in which she was attempting to explain the infamous Gutshot interview. It basically went something like (I'm paraphrasing):

I don't want to make any excuses for what I said in the Gutshot interview... [makes an excuse for what she said in the Gutshot interview]... I take full responsibility for what I said... [makes a remark which deflects responsibility for what she said away from her]

Phil's biggest dissapointment from this year's WSOP was probably that he got out-bratted.

I agree 100% with you on #1 and almost completely with #2.

However, while Mattias was certainly a goofball, I really think he's a lot different than the others you mentioned. My read on his celebrations were that they were genuinely in the spirit of fun and excitement, and never done to "dig in" to his opponents.

He never once (that I saw) was mean-spiritted, was critical of his opponets, needled someone, complained about a bad beat, or complained about how badly his opponents were playing. Basically, he never did any of the things that soured me on the other players that you (and I) have mentioned here.

While I also do generally disagree with much of the post-hand celebrating that goes on in these TV events, I'll have to admit that Mattias in particular was simply too fun for me to dislike. :)

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ScottyZ
  • I never watched any of the WSOP coverage, but I always check out the WPT coverage on City TV. There was that Tony Gee character at the Aviation Club on season 1 of the WPT. They showed a clip of an obviously pissed off Lederer refusing to shake hands with him after Lederer was knocked out. Lederer comes off as a gentlemanly player, so I'd have to guess that is a sign about Tony Gee's conduct at the table. I have to admit it was at least a little fun to see how much he pissed off some of the French guys at the final table though... there were a few clips where they were giving him very nasty looks.

On the flip side of the coin, I just saw the WPT Bellagio "Five Diamond World Poker Classic" from season 2, and Abe Mosseri was probably the most happy-go-lucky player I've seen. Smiling when he won a hand, smiling when he lost a hand, smiling when he was in the tank during a tough situation, and when he busted out it looked like he was trying to put a move on Shana Hiatt in his interview. Who knows, maybe he wasn't intense enough, but he sure looks like a guy you wouldn't mind having at your home game.

I like the old school cash game poker guys who obviously realize that if you berate the fish, they'll leave the game. I guess tournament poker has lost that element of the game, since people don't have the option of just leaving the table. I can't stand the big celebrations and high fives with the railbirds after hands... what is this, the NFL?
  • My read on his celebrations were that they were genuinely in the spirit of fun and excitement, and never done to "dig in" to his opponents.
    That may very well be true, but it's hard to like someone who doesn't realize that his pleasure is someone else's pain, even if he is (astonishingly) naiive of that fact. I agree that his 'DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA's probably weren't mean-spirited, but he should still show some respect for the person he just busted. If he doesn't realize that someone's WSOP dreams have just been crushed, and that the last thing they'll hear in the tournament is him yelling at the top of his lungs, he needs to get his head out of the clouds.

I'm glad we're continuing our discussion from the Championship Event. :)

Bottom line: Everyone I watched the WSOP with wanted Mattias to lose, just so we wouldn't have to hear any more of his yelling and screaming.

Cheers,
    all_aces
  • Okay, okay. As I mentioned, I generally do disagree with post-hand celebrations. I have been rubbed the wrong way by MANY other players' post-hand celebrations myself, so I can certainly see where you're coming from.

I guess I just found it difficult to see you lumping my hero Mattias into the same group as Mike Matusow, even if you meant to do so as a loose association. These two guys are *worlds* apart in class IMO.

ScottyZ

P.S. JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    As for Annie Duke, let me just say that she's no Erin Ness. ;)

Who's Erin Ness?
  • SlantNGo wrote:
    Who's Erin Ness?

She was the one from the 2004 WSOP who worked at Maxim and had won her WSOP seat through some kind of office tournament.

ScottyZ
  • The funniest was when Arieh was badmouthing someones play - when he was the one who made the bad play. I can't recall the hand exactly, but he was outplayed by his opponent, but still berated him??? I couldn't believe it - even Norman was like "What the hell is Josh on about?"

On the other hand - if you get knocked out of a huge event by someone who makes a really, really bad play, then I don't think it is out-of-bounds to ask him/her "How the hell could you call me with that?"

Obviously, you don't need to be mean about it - but getting busted by a ridiculously bad, lucky call, can make you numb, so a little venting is to be expected IMO....
  • Other WSOP thoughts:

* The european guy in the suit with the upside down sunglasses was pretty hilarious. He was acting like a total asshole too, but because he was being funny, nobody minded. I'd love to play against him, a guy like that loosens up the table like crazy and next thing you know, I've got all your chips!!!

* I can't stand Annie Duke, sure she may be a fine player, but there seems to be more hype than substance (from what I can tell). And since I've seen her play a few hands on TV - that makes me an expert! She just seems like a publicity-whore, which is strange because her brother comes off the complete opposite way. When Doyle busted him out - pure class.

* Playing poker with "the Mouth" would be very hard for me. He reminds me of Danny Bonaduce, just an annoying guy all around. When he got busted out, that was the best part of the whole tournament. He was asking for it so bad...

* I agree 100% with aces, the swedish guy was very annoying. I can understand if the hand was a back and forth exchange, with the lead changing on the flop, turn and river, but c'mon. He was taking it a little too far, Mats Sundin would not be proud...

* Phil Hellmuth is classic - I'd seriously love to sit down and play him, just for the fun of it. This guy is a character.
  • Iron wrote:
    I never watched any of the WSOP coverage, but I always check out the WPT coverage on City TV. There was that Tony Gee character at the Aviation Club on season 1 of the WPT. They showed a clip of an obviously pissed off Lederer refusing to shake hands with him after Lederer was knocked out. Lederer comes off as a gentlemanly player, so I'd have to guess that is a sign about Tony Gee's conduct at the table. I have to admit it was at least a little fun to see how much he pissed off some of the French guys at the final table though... there were a few clips where they were giving him very nasty looks.

Oh my god that guy was probably the most annoying I have ever seen. "IT'S A FLUSH!" LOL

That WPT event was at the Paris gentlemen's poker club (first time camera's were allowed in), and all these local guys just HATED him and wanted him out. I have the season 1 WPT DVD's, maybe I can rip that part out or something hahaha. "One card, I'll let you see just one card!".
  • And since I've seen her play a few hands on TV - that makes me an expert!
    ROFLMAO.
  • 1. Phil Helmuth - expects everyone to have read his book, and follow his instructions on how to play their hands; and then freaks out when someone does something different, resulting in him losing to them. There *is* an undeniable element of luck in the game, and I don't think Phil believes in that.

2. Scott Fischman - Very cocky snot-nosed brat who doesn't bring respect to the table (ie. doesn't realize that 'respect for other players' and 'confidence in yourself' are two different things).

3. Annie Duke - I respect her skills, and do not deny she is a skilled player, however all I can say is ... what ... a ... be..... yotch ....

~ :spade:
  • I think it was one of the announcers who says that PHIL HELLmuth is a regular man with a six year olds mentallity. if he doesnt win, he cries,and when he wins he cries about not winning last time or the time before that.

Although I consider him a bit of a crybaby, I would still consider him the most entertaining and one of the most talented in the game..
  • I agree with the Phil analogies. He can be a big baby and a big whiner, definatley needs to learn how to show grace in winning and losing. The thing is he won't change, thats the way he is and he's definatley entertaining to watch. Mike Matusow & Josh Arieh are both pricks, no class at all. The funny thing is when you watch these guys on TV there a lot more entertaining to watch then people who don't show much emotion.

I can respect a player who shows class when they take a beat even if it's a bad or when they win a monstor a lot more then I can someone who just belittles and berates others. If your humble win or lose I think you'll get a lot more respect, Phil Ivey comes to mind. That guy always has an anguished look on his face but he never really has anything bad to say about anyone, he just plays his cards.

It's all a moot point though, it's not like any of these guys give two shits what I or anyone else thinks about them or how they play.
  • all_aces wrote:
    Well, now that TSN has finished airing the WSOP main event, I thought I'd share with you my top 3 list of people I hope I never find myself at a poker table with. And it has nothing to do with their ability.

1. Mike Matusow
    2. Josh Arieh
    3. Mattias Anderson (sorry Scotty).
    my top 3 are:
    1. Mike Matusow
    2. Scott Fischman
    3. Josh Arieh
    3a. Annie Duke :mad:

oh i'm sure there's a few more...:rolleyes: :mad: :banghead: :tongue:

:tongue:
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    She was the one from the 2004 WSOP who worked at Maxim and had won her WSOP seat through some kind of office tournament.

ScottyZ
    smilies-12601.png
  • 0xDeadBeef wrote:

3. Annie Duke - I respect her skills, and do not deny she is a skilled player, however all I can say is ... what ... a ... be..... yotch ....

~ :spade:
    smilies-12603.png

:banghead:

:D:tongue::D
  • Josh arieh talks sooo muchh smack. I would hardly be able to stopo myself from punching him in the face if i played at the samew table as him...but he is good
  • I remember last Nov at Regina playing at a tourney table with a cocky guy who bragged about being from Vegas, blah,blah,blah. I think he thought that the money should just be given to him by default. During the WSOP I saw a picture of the winner of an event, and thought "that looks like that same guy from Regina." I knew that he had made one money spot in Regina and when I looked up the name it was Scott Fischman. It was obvious at the time that the guy had some skills, but he was already quite in love with himself even back then, lots of trash talk.
  • So after finally watching the WSOP Main Event, I can have a say in this thread.

1. Mike Matusow - "I got big balls, you got little balls!" Ya know, this sounds like the kind of trash talk at a home game with a bunch of friends, or people who know each other at least. Well out of line.
    2. Mattias Anderson - Daaaaaaaaa! Why won't you shut up?!?
    3. Josh Arieh - I didn't mind him nearly as much as some of you did. I remember three major incidents of him berating opponents. Vs. Harry Demetriou, for pushing with AJ after a raise and call. After a loose raiser like Arieh I can understand, but after a raiser and caller? Vs. I don't remember who for going all-in on pocket jacks vs. his AK. Okay, what are you whining about? Vs. David Williams for investing 1/3 of his stack with pocket 5s to his raise. Again, on this hand I can understand his whining. Maybe it's just me but it seems like his whining is legit most of the time...
  • When u sit down to play cards its cards. no amount of skill in the world decides what cards get flopped or what cards turn or river. Bad beats are part of the game its what makes it exciting. if you had AK and it never got out flopped wheres the gambling part of the game. if poker was a sure thing who wouyld play it? I myself piss and moan alot when bad beats come, you just have to remind urself "That's Poker"