To any current / former Comic Book fans.....

Hey all

So, I recently started reading comics again, and I do miss the medium. Anyways, with the coming "Watchmen" movie, I decided to check out the boo (highly recommended), and have taken the time to acquire some of the others I remember my comic guru suggesting (King Mob, where are you?!?).

Anyways... I've recently read Watchmen, Preacher, and am going to work on Y: The Last Man. I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest anything that may be easily find-able *coughcoughdownloadablecoughcough* that I should read. My suggestions:

Watchmen
Preacher
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: The Killing Joke
Astonishing X-men

Mark

Comments

• I have a Howard the Duck and several very early Groo (or is it Gru) comics at home.

I wouldn't really suggest either though.
  • You already hit the nail on the head with: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (and the sequel whose name escapes me) but really ANYTHING by Frank Miller is usually worth your time. Lots of great stories out there though. I can't help you with what is downloadable though. Check out Batman Year One if you're into him. As for X-men check out any of the older Uncanny books...pre #250 etc. For some real fun check out the original Eastman and Lairds' TMNT books. Quite a bit darker and better written than any Cowabunga movie version. Any Mcfarlane drawn Amazing Spiderman is usually worth the time. The new Transformers books are really well drawn (2005-6?). If you can find the original Wolverine 4 book mini series that's good stuff too.

Lots more but this should be a good start.
  • Those graphic novels seem to be always on sale at Chapters. Nice way to just buy a whole series.
  • I haven't bought many comics lately but the few I have picked up the last couple summers were the Marvel Civil War story arc. I just bought the mini compilations (graphic novel?) of each of the titles; there were 6 or 8 in total I believe. The story was pretty interesting overall.
    I also followed the World War Hulk storyline from last summer. That one was pretty wild although I read a few of the Planet Hulk story arc that preceded it and wasn't as enamored.
    Kingdom Come is a pretty interesting graphic novel from DC that draws a few parallels to the Watchmen.
    The sequel to Dark Knight Returns is called the Dark Knight Rides Again or something like that. It's pretty good but obviously pales in comparison to the DKR.