KIMBO schooled!

From an undisclosed injury, Shamrock had to bail out form his fight against Kimbo.

Seth Petruzelli a good friend of Jardine and Rashad took his place last minute and knocks the infamous Kimbo just 14 seconds into the first round.

WOW...just WOW!!!!!

rumour: looks like GSP and Penn are to fight in Ireland.

Comments

• Sounds suspicious. Kinda unfair to kimbo, he's prepared to fight shamrock and finds out he has to fight someone else. When did shamrock bail out? Was it just before the fight?
  • I've never been a big Kimbo fan, however, watching the replay (Video: Seth Petruzelli KOs Kimbo Slice - MMA FanHouse) made me question whether he lost legitimately - I'm curious on what others think. To me it looks like the kick missed and the punch on the chin stunned him, then he went down on all fours, but immediately tried to get up. Then, I count 2 hard punches to the back of the head (and possibly a third, but it didn't look like it connected fully) after which he stops trying to get up, rolls over, and can't defend himself. Then the fight is stopped. Bottom line - it doesn't appear that the punch to the chin is what took him out, but the blows to the back of the head. I know this isn't legal in UFC, maybe it's legal in this league?
  • Anyone else think this is the end of MMA on network television, as well as the end of EliteXC?
  • beanie42 wrote: »
    I've never been a big Kimbo fan, however, watching the replay (Video: Seth Petruzelli KOs Kimbo Slice - MMA FanHouse) made me question whether he lost legitimately - I'm curious on what others think. To me it looks like the kick missed and the punch on the chin stunned him, then he went down on all fours, but immediately tried to get up. Then, I count 2 hard punches to the back of the head (and possibly a third, but it didn't look like it connected fully) after which he stops trying to get up, rolls over, and can't defend himself. Then the fight is stopped. Bottom line - it doesn't appear that the punch to the chin is what took him out, but the blows to the back of the head. I know this isn't legal in UFC, maybe it's legal in this league?

None of those hits looked solid... to me it looked rigged, but I know if I say that I will have offers for a new tin foil hat.
  • To me it just looked like horrible reffing.

/g2
  • it was a short right hand to Kimbo's jaw that made him stumble. the kick never landed although it may have kept Seth's distance and prep for the right hand.

referee Troy Waugh made two mistakes:

he ignored the 2 shots to the back of the head (although not hard enough to effect Kimbo).

Kimbo was dazed but not out, fight was stopped too early.

as to comments earlier if MMA is dead or rigged...NOT! EliteXC is recruiting alot of UFC fighters. boxing is dead.
  • mynick71 wrote: »
    Sounds suspicious. Kinda unfair to kimbo, he's prepared to fight shamrock and finds out he has to fight someone else. When did shamrock bail out? Was it just before the fight?

Shamrock had a serious cut over his left eye during training and was forced to bail out just before the fight.
  • How can some of you make these rigged comments, and the final result of Kimbo NOT winning! If it were rigged, then Kimbo would be winning for sure. This loss just killed the company, and the only matchup that peopel will still watch elitexc for is Carano vs Cyborg.

Kimbo is garbage, dropped by a friggen jab. Though I agree there was some bad refing an dplenty of back of the head hits. But still, Kimbo sucks.
  • actyper wrote: »
    How can some of you make these rigged comments, and the final result of Kimbo NOT winning! If it were rigged, then Kimbo would be winning for sure. This loss just killed the company, and the only matchup that peopel will still watch elitexc for is Carano vs Cyborg.

Kimbo is garbage, dropped by a friggen jab. Though I agree there was some bad refing an dplenty of back of the head hits. But still, Kimbo sucks.

AGREE. If rigged, Kimbo would be the victor. All this internet street fight hype doesn't even come close to MMA fighting. Sure he beat a few tough looking street thugs but if you look at first unofficial match with a trained fighter Sean Gannon, he got smoked...I knew right there and then he wouldn't survive the octagon. Sure he ran over Cantrell and Abbott but he had a real hard time with Thompson.

Fedor would destroy him, even Lesnar would do him in. So yes KIMBO sucks. and Carano is hot!!!
  • Not rigged, and DEFINITELY an appropriate stoppage.

The front kick keeps Kimbo separated, for the short right to the jaw, which stuns him, and he drops to all fours instead of moving in to clinch and clear the cobwebs. Once on the ground, Petruzelli hits him with 10 (I counted) unanswered blows to the head. When a fighter is not intelligently defending the ref HAS to stop the fight, in order to protect the fighter.

Further, look closely on the back-camera feed of Kimbo's eyes when the ref is over him, shielding him from Petruzelli, immediately AFTER the stoppage. He is NOT focussed on anything. He is NOT there. If you go back to Karo Parisyan's last fight (another alleged quick stoppage), he at least was attempting to clinch and protect himself, albeit with the ref who had moved in and not his opponent.

This was a good stoppage. Kimbo was gone, and the ref prevented some serious damage. I am not a Petruzelli fan, and will admit to despising the Kimbo "phenomenon". But if this was any other fight, on any other night (say a Houston Alexander bout), no one would be batting an eye over this. That said, Kimbo's 15 minutes are over, as is EliteXC's.
  • watch kimbo's hands while he's on his back just before the stoppage...he's completely out to lunch. Ref is still a moron for touching the fighters earlier. (He thinks about stopping it earlier) but the stoppage was appropriate. As for the earlier comments about some of the blows not being solid or just missing....it doesn't matter. Kimbo wasn't defending himself at all.
  • IM-ON-TILT wrote: »
    referee Troy Waugh made two mistakes:

he ignored the 2 shots to the back of the head (although not hard enough to effect Kimbo).

Kimbo was dazed but not out, fight was stopped too early.

When Kimbo went down, the first hammer fist hits him square in the back of the head... the ref should have seen that, and stopped things there... given Petruzelli a warning and Kimbo a chance to recover. I don't think any other strikes after the first one were blows to the back of Kimbo's head, but the ref did miss the first one.

As for stopping it too early... I don't think so. Petruzelli lands numerous unanswered blow to Kimbo's face, and Kimbo's hands never once came up to attempt to cover up. He was stunned, and he was vulnerable! Nothing wrong with the stoppage. If you don't want the fight stopped, you have to show the ability to defend yourself, either by covering up, or by slipping some of the blows. He's so out of it, he clinches the ref after the fights stopped.

Kimbo was a circus show, and I for one am glad the show is over. Hopefully an aging Couture can end the Lesnar hype as well, and we can get back to real MMA. I think Mir/Nogeura will be the best big fight in quite some time!

War Fedor!
  • Lesnar is not ALL hype. Granted, he is getting pushed too far, too fast. But, realistically, who else IS there to challenge the big three of Couture, Noguiera, and Mir? Lesnar is a beast of a man. By this time next year, if he maintains his learning curve, he will be a legitimate top 5 heavyweight MMA fighter. Right now, he is merely the dominant wrestler in the division. Once he learns the basics about how to transition quickly to an available submission attempt, as well as improving on his BJJ defense, he will be VERY difficult to beat, due to his size and strength.
  • I agree, with experience Lesner is the only guy I can see that can give Fedor a challenge.
  • Anyone else think this is the end of MMA on network television, as well as the end of EliteXC?

It's the end of non-UFC MMA promotions thinking that they can grow bigger than UFC.