Down Streaks...

Everyone who plays Sit N goes faces downstreaks. Ive read that you should have a bankroll where you do not spend more than 2% of it per Sit N go. I like to be a little more risky and spend 4% but damn downstreaks hurt by playing like this! However i always end up recovering. Im just curious to how bad of a downstreak some other players have had. My worst so far is a 10 straight losses at the 10+1 $ level. Then i dipped into my poker profits to pump up my bankroll because i refuse to play the 5$ level.

Comments

• Seriously, we need to talk!

Grammar Police
  • lol, i love this guy:)

Seriously, we need to talk!

Grammar Police
  • same here last week John, 10 in a row and i feel like a failure:(
    Johnith wrote: »
    Everyone who plays Sit N goes faces downstreaks. Ive read that you should have a bankroll where you do not spend more than 2% of it per Sit N go. I like to be a little more risky and spend 4% but damn downstreaks hurt by playing like this! However i always end up recovering. Im just curious to how bad of a downstreak some other players have had. My worst so far is a 10 straight losses at the 10+1 $ level. Then i dipped into my poker profits to pump up my bankroll because i refuse to play the 5$ level.
  • Seriously, we need to talk!

Grammar Police

You have my vote for gimmick account of the month.

Are you related to Deeb Spellcheck?
  • lol is my grammar that bad? yeah it probably is.
  • I'm waiting for the downstreak to hit.

For Oct (ya I know it's 4 days old)

ROI 70%
    ITM 56%
    ITM from the bubble 90%
  • I think my record is nine consecutive losses at the Fallsview WPT satellites ($1240, $460 and $170).
    Johnith wrote: »
    Im just curious to how bad of a downstreak some other players have had.
  • It sucks when you're running bad but just remember that even the best have had horrible runs & even gone broke. Doyle says he went broke many times.
  • Doyle would go broke because he would have his entire bankroll on the table.

20-30 buyins is fine, for SnGs, one or two tables. Anything over that should be considered a MTT, and you should have 100 buyins.

The better rolled you are, the less your risk of ruin. Now you say you have to take money from your 'winnings' and add that back to your bankroll. I believe everything you make at these stakes should go towards your bankroll since the actual dollar amount is so small. Another reason to keep your money in your bankroll, is so you can move up quicker. Not to say that your bankroll should dictate the buyin you play at, however, gringing at the same level for like 1000 SnGs to determine a more accurate winrate or RIO is silly.

If you're beating $5.50 SnGs you won't have much trouble beating $11 SnGs. The play is no better, just there are a few more people who know winning SnG strategy.

Since your bankroll is less than the amount of the average Joe's paycheck, it's not money that will be hard to recoup if you go bust. If you don't want to have to deposit again, I think that once you are at about 15 buyins for the level you're playing at, you should probably move down until you can rebuild.

Negraneau made a good point about moving up, saying that people who take shots earlier are going to get better quicker. I think it's not quite as applicable in your case because if you're not beating $11 SnGs, you should definately move down and rebuild.
  • Johnith wrote: »
    i refuse to play the 5$ level.

I have no pride with respect to level,

I always move down rather than place my bankroll at risk.

I move up and down a lot.
  • I have no pride with respect to level,

I always move down rather than place my bankroll at risk.

I move up and down a lot.

If your roll is a couple of hundred it only matters how difficult it is to replace it. If your playing and can't beat $11's yet refuse to move to $5's then you deserve to lose the whole roll. Remember even the best players have had 20 non cashes in a row. I think that's statistically supposed to happen once every 650 games even if your a winning player.

I haven't played on line in around a year, logged on to poker room to find $45 in my account. I've tripled this in a few days playing the $5's. Once I get it to $400 I'll move up to the 10's and give them a shot until I hit $1K or $200, then I"ll move up or down accordingly.

As far as I"m concerned this is found money so it's all good, but I'd like to build it up as quick and painless as possible.

My ROI and ITM that I posted earlier has come down to more realistic levels altho with a little luck it could have stayed very high as even the tourney's I"ve busted out on, I"ve gotten my money in ahead for the most part. The worst one being I had middle set, other dude has bottom set and chip leader had top set. You have to think your set was good on a J 8 4 rainbow board.
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    If your roll is a couple of hundred it only matters how difficult it is to replace it.

QFT

A 'roll' of a couple hundred isn't really a roll at all imo. Like calling an acorn an oak tree.

Provided that you can do a few things:

#1 Replace it on a time frame that you can live with if you bust.
    #2 honestly assess your own play and the play of your opponents to ensure you are making excellent decisions, and are in a game that YOU can over all beat. (swings are irrelevant)
    #3 commit to learning.

The reality is that at this level playing bankroll appropriate poker when/if you have the ability to play bigger and do the above is fucktarded..

..the guys who will tell you 'take it slow' are the same ones who joined four years ago and are still playing .05/.10 and large-field freerolls. They generally under value their own time.

As a rec player a $200 deposit should see you playing 1 or 2 tables of $20's, 3 or 4 $11's..if you can't beat these then your step is NOT to move down..but to move OUT of playing online and to read and improve your game until you're making money worth showing up for.

Why sit around for 6 months making like a buck an hour, when you could be sitting around for a week reading an awesome book and then make $3/table/hr ? (random numbers..try to understand my point)
  • I dunno Kristy I"m multi tabling the $5's right now (on a good roll mind you) making almost $4/hr. I"m not 12 tabling mind you but 2 or 3 tabling.
  • Just had my 5th bubble in a row. This one was horrible.

Seat 2: fabmemb29 ($3,705 in chips) Seat 3: widdle ($3,210 in chips) Seat 4: Acid_Joe ($3,385 in chips) Seat 10: rocker72 x ($4,700 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
    Acid_Joe posts small blind ($150), rocker72 x posts big blind ($300).

PRE-FLOP
    fabmemb29 folds, widdle bets $900, Acid_Joe bets $3,235 and is all-in, rocker72 x folds, widdle calls $2,310 and is all-in.

FLOP [board cards: JC 7C 6S ]

TURN [board cards: JC 7C 6S JH ]

RIVER [board cards: JC 7C 6S JH QS ]

SHOWDOWN
    Acid_Joe shows [ KS KH ]
    widdle shows [ AH JD ]
    Acid_Joe wins $175, widdle wins $6,720.

SUMMARY
    Dealer: widdle
    Pot: $6,895
    fabmemb29, loses $0
    widdle, bets $3,210, collects $6,720, net $3,510
    Acid_Joe, loses $3,210
    rocker72 x, loses $300
  • acidjoe wrote:
    I"m multi tabling the $5's right now (on a good roll mind you) making almost $4/hr.

From my earlier post...
    Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    1) They generally under value their own time.

2) improve your game until you're making money worth showing up for.

3) (random numbers..try to understand my point)
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    QFT

A 'roll' of a couple hundred isn't really a roll at all imo. Like calling an acorn an oak tree.

Provided that you can do a few things:

#1 Replace it on a time frame that you can live with if you bust.
    #2 honestly assess your own play and the play of your opponents to ensure you are making excellent decisions, and are in a game that YOU can over all beat. (swings are irrelevant)
    #3 commit to learning.

The reality is that at this level playing bankroll appropriate poker when/if you have the ability to play bigger and do the above is fucktarded..

..the guys who will tell you 'take it slow' are the same ones who joined four years ago and are still playing .05/.10 and large-field freerolls. They generally under value their own time.

As a rec player a $200 deposit should see you playing 1 or 2 tables of $20's, 3 or 4 $11's..if you can't beat these then your step is NOT to move down..but to move OUT of playing online and to read and improve your game until you're making money worth showing up for.

Why sit around for 6 months making like a buck an hour, when you could be sitting around for a week reading an awesome book and then make $3/table/hr ? (random numbers..try to understand my point)

I'm guilty of this , I'm playing .10/.25NL and .25/.50NL online and playing the 5.50 and 4.40 tournaments online. Live I'm playing 1/2 and 2/5NL.

I'm making about 10BB/100hands online at .10/.25 so that's about .75 an hour per table... bleah...
  • I'm working on building it up without taking money out of my sportsbetting accoutns which is where I make some real money. I don't mind grinding $40 some odd dollars into a few hundred (once I get to $400 I'll move up to the $10's). I actually haven't played on line poker in over a year and half.

You can commit to learning but you need to also play to learn. You can hit 100% free throws from the line, but if you can't play the game you won't get there.
  • One thing I like to do to avoid down streaks is give my self a cut off. If I do not cash in two consecutive tournaments, I am done playing for the day.

I find it helps to keep me focused and a winning player. I almost always make up for it the following time I play.

I tend never to move down to lower levels since the my strategies vary.
  • Sirus wrote: »
    One thing I like to do to avoid down streaks is give my self a cut off. If I do not cash in two consecutive tournaments, I am done playing for the day.

I find it helps to keep me focused and a winning player. I almost always make up for it the following time I play.

You are the reason why poker remains profitable.
  • Sirus wrote: »
    One thing I like to do to avoid down streaks is give my self a cut off. If I do not cash in two consecutive tournaments, I am done playing for the day.

I think this is a smart thing to do if you are susceptible to tilting after loosing a few tournaments. I will generally move from cash games to tournaments or vice versa when running bad or switch the game from NLHE to LHE or Omaha/8. I think even taking a break to watch some American Idol is always nice :)

stp