ok

Last year Month of september was my best month of the year, winning money ofcourse.
This year month of september is been my worst. i mean its just going bad.
this past weekend played a home game with family. short handed game. 4 player. My JJ run in to AA and my QQ run in to KK, flopped a set with 88. got rivered for a flush.

I fully undrestand how the game works. but my question is when you run cold, or when you have a losing streak. how do you regroup your self.

Do you stop playing poker for couple of weeks? Do you stay away from poker but read some books? do you go over your notes? play on line. What do you do.

Please leave your openion.

Comments

• I walk away for a week or so. NOthing to do with poker. The following week I read and then when I do get back to playing I usually drop down a bit. ie if I was playing $50 STT I'll play $20's. If I was playing 2/5 NL live I"ll play 1/2 to get my confidence back. Once your sure your game is on track then get back to where you were. And on line I cut back on the multi tabling for a bit too.
  • Yeah donking it up on .25/.50 limit or .01/.02 nl.
  • I switch up the game. If im running bad in cash games I play more mtts, or I switch from NL to Limit or vice versa. If my mtts are running bad I play more cash games.
  • I think the key is to think of your sessions as one long session (just a continuation); this is how I regroup. I have come to realize there will be ups and downs, there will times when you are card dead (for an entire session or more) or you have great starting hands but continuously miss flops, etc. Think of the bigger picture. Did you play the hands well, that is what is important. If your trips get beat by a flush on the river, so be it. If you got your money in good, then you did what you were suppose to. If you are playing crappy and throwing away money, then that's another story.

If you have one bad month, and the other eleven are good or breakeven, then you are doing great and don't dwell on the one bad month. The one thing I use to do when I was no playing well, I actually would go play one of the free tournaments (red hot, etc) as the players really seemed to be there just for the love of the game and it wasn't about money. That seemed to help my spirits.
  • Thats some great idea. Now i realize why Im doing poor this month. When CNE was open, i went and played limit game for first time.. soooo no switching back to no limit maybe im not doing something right.

No limit was my game all alone. maybe switch to limit for a month, and now having hard time switching back to no limit.
  • I go do something extremely physical..to vent my frustration: exercise to failure, kata, sex..

Then take a nap-

wake up and do something fun: get drunk with friends, search out online awesomeness..sex.

sleep.

Next morning:

regroup: clearly assess whether I'm just running bad or if I need to tweak some things.. and go back to war.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Think of the bigger picture. Did you play the hands well, that is what is important.
    Wow, I can't believe that pokerJAH and I agree on the same advice. A winning 2+2er had a great strategy segment on last week's 2+2 PokerCast. He said that if you play the same hand a million times, figure out if you made the best decision instead of getting too emotional about the result in that one hand.

For example, I have lost seven consecutive WPT satellites, which is my longest losing streak since six consecutive satellites last month where I didn't make it ITM. However, since I have evaluated my plays to be mostly correct but just keep getting outdrawn in the critical hands, then I can't wait to go back to the Fallsview war zone for the entire weekend. I would go back there today, but I'm going to a different WPT tournament tonight with a couple of other forumers.