ZOOM gets grounded and Signature Vacations leaves me stranded in Italy

So my family and I are happily enjoying our last few days in Italy when the news breaks - Plane seized as Zoom Airlines folds. At first we thought OMG now what do we do? But having booked our flight through a reputable tour company (Signature Vacations) we figured we'd be taken care of. Boy, were we ever wrong. When we contacted our agent we were told that Signature Vacations decided that all it would refund the return portion of the trip (big f'n deal!) and make their clients find their own way home. On a long weekend, and when many other people are trying to also get home, that's not a easy thing to do. It took an entire day to put together an itinerary to get my family home and after 30 hours of travelling, we finally made it into Buffalo early this morning.

I'm really suprised by the lack of concern Signature Vacations had for it's client's. I know I'll never book through them again.

Has anyone else been affected ZOOM's demise?

Comments

• Horrible for you. I'm really sorry.
  • I think SIgnature is more or less a discount travel service. You really get what you pay for, unfortunately. We used them recently to go to the Bahamas. I think the planes were from the 70s. You can always take them to small claims court but they probably have a paragraph in the travel documentation that covers their asses. Maybe the credit card you booked the trip on has some form of compensation for cancelled flights?
  • I read about it on the news and if I remember right you're pretty much fucked as far as suing them or the airline...
  • Wow..that really sucks, but I don't know how much you will be able to get from this. You could try writing a complaint to them and see if they do anything to compensate you, but other than that the only thing left is to do what you are doing now, warn other potential customers to think twice next time they book with them.