O M G- SPOILER Olympics

If you did not see it, you missed the most amazing performance in the 100m final.

Usain Bolt goes 9.69s to take gold, the olympic and the world records, crossing the finish line at over 37 kn/h. Thing is, he started coasting at 85m. 9.60 seconds or less is DEFINITELY in this kid's range, and sooner rather than later. WOW

Comments

• A very impressive time, of course. However, it never ceases to amaze me just how often these otherwise elite athletes (especially sprinters) will let their massive egos override common sense. What's Bolt's thought process here? Hmmm... rather than running as fast as possible from start to finish to set the best possible new world and olympic times - and to potentially ensure that my records last for a far greater length of time (especially likely for the OR) - I think it's far more important here for me to take some time out from this less than 10 second race to pump on my chest like some kind of gorilla. He can't wait 2 seconds to do that? ??? He's still wearing the gold, true, but that's some kind of duuuumb in my books.
  • Not dumb at all. Look at the example of Vasily Alexeev of the USSR. Broke over 100 World or Olympic records, most of them by 1 pound or less. These athletes often get bonuses for new records, so it PAYS them to break the old ones by as little as possible, especially if there's more in the tank. By the way, try to watch a super slo-mo replay of the start of the race. Bolt has an atrocious start, dragging the toe of one shoe, and almost tripping himself up at the start.
  • Milo is right......he knows he's gunna be racing for a while and will break his own world record in the future...
  • The dream race: a juiced up Ben Johnson Vs Usain Bolt... both would have to run hard to the end... and I bet the winner would go 9.5...
  • Bolt is insane... I love how he actually shuts it down at about 80 meters and hits his chest before crossing the line. Like the american said, "that guy can run". Very impressive!
  • A very impressive time, of course. However, it never ceases to amaze me just how often these otherwise elite athletes (especially sprinters) will let their massive egos override common sense. What's Bolt's thought process here? Hmmm... rather than running as fast as possible from start to finish to set the best possible new world and olympic times - and to potentially ensure that my records last for a far greater length of time (especially likely for the OR) - I think it's far more important here for me to take some time out from this less than 10 second race to pump on my chest like some kind of gorilla. He can't wait 2 seconds to do that? ??? He's still wearing the gold, true, but that's some kind of duuuumb in my books.

It could actually be a smart move too. A lot of the running is psychological. By him doing this, it shows the other racers that he has way more in him so they don't stand a chance against him. I for one loved it, and think he will get way more endorsement deals from doing that then running flat out.
  • Olympics pays gold medals. Breaking records at track meets pays $$$.

Edit: as an aside - if these Olympics are clean, why is it so many records are being smashed? Donovan Bailey's record stands for 12 years and then gets crushed.

Almost every single swimming race had the world record broken, including the longest held swimming record. I wish someone on CBC/NBC would explain why the swimmers especially, are going so much faster.
  • Breaking world records with style = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and lots of chicks
  • At this rate, in like 30 years they're going to be running sub 9 second 100m.. Usually it's some kind of technical invention in a sport that causes the WRs to shatter.. I don't think theres been anything like that in sprinting.. Running 9.9s in the prelims is crazy.
  • World Records Are Getting Broken because the equipment is a getting more advanced. For example the swimwear, shoes, bikes, and better energy drinks! :)
  • moose wrote: »
    Almost every single swimming race had the world record broken, including the longest held swimming record. I wish someone on CBC/NBC would explain why the swimmers especially, are going so much faster.

The new LZR swimsuit has 10% less drag ...
  • I also heard something about there was new tech to encourage speed in the pool itself!!

How was th pool in Beijing built for speed? - Yahoo! Answers

Mark
  • The track in Beijing is also the newest generation of running surface, allowing greater than ever transfer of energy, thus increasing speed in the sprints, and endurance in the distance runs. Technology assists but, like one commenter has noted re: the swimming, the LZR suit doesn't getup at 5:00 a.m. to swim laps. These athletes have had benefits that previous ones did not but, still,

9.69 f***in' seconds.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I also heard something about there was new tech to encourage speed in the pool itself!!

How was th pool in Beijing built for speed? - Yahoo! Answers

Mark

Thanks Mark. I'm amazed that I never heard mention of this during any of the telecasts.
  • Bolt is a freak of nature, it is unreal how he blows past everyone and then glides to the finish. He will destroy 9.60, maybe even get to under 9.50