1st hand busts 3 people

1st hand of a $10 single-table NL tourney. 1500 chips to start. Almost everyone limps to me, I limp with 44 in the cut-off. We all see the cheap flop of:

443 with 2 clubs. 8)

UTG bets $50, 4 callers including me.

Turn is the Ace of clubs.

UTG checks, EP bets 300, MP calls, I call, UTG calls.

River is an offsuit 8. Final board: 4c 4h 3c Ac 8h

UTG checks, EP bets 300, MP calls, I raise all-in, and all 3 of them call.

UTG: 93o for low 2 pair.
EP: Queen high flush.
MP: King high flush.

My favourite was the 93o calling all-in.

No replies necessary, although comments are always fun. Just thought you might get a kick out of that one.

Comments

• That is the best slow play I have ever seen!!! Congratulations!!!
  • Yeah, nice fl000p there! And that seems like a good way to play it I think.

It's funny how common it is for other players to bet the hand like crazy for you when make an uber-monster like this.

And yeah, that 93 is pretty lame. ;)

At least no-one showed you the nut at the end...

ScottyZ
  • Thanks for the kind words guys... a hand like that pretty much plays itself. At least one of the players is going to consider themselves pot-committed, thanks to the person who bet my hand for me. Great way to start a tourney tho, with T6000 vs. everyone's T1500 or slightly less.

I considered the 2c 5c but was willing to take the chance lol.

FWIW I ended up winning it, but with a start like that I'd have to **** it up pretty badly to lose. Not a massive payday lol but still enjoyable.
  • Very nice slow play, I don't think I would have had the self control :) to play it like that. :oops:
  • Wicked. :)

I had a hand like that in a $10 sit 'n go on UB a few months back...very first hand I had 99 and the flop was 99K

I don't remember all the action except to say that I took 3 people out in the very first hand. The hands flashed too quickly at the end, but I know I was up against nut flush and a full house for two of them,.
  • The few hands I've had like that usually don't have guys with hands.then it plays a whole lot different!

Last time I did it I had the made hand and there was nothing else even remotely possible... so as I checked the whole way through seemingly with nothing, much like everyone else I went all in on the river. Making it look like I was trying to buy the pot I had a couple callers with Ace high when I had flopped a low set.

it was no 4 of-a-kind, but it was the nut on the flop and never changed....

Last week I saw a guy get paid $12 at a home game (kind of a $1-$2 game) with 9 guys playing for a royal!

I think its the betting and playing more often then its the cards alone!

But thats why we love this game right?
    (we do love it don't we???)
  • it was no 4 of-a-kind, but it was the nut on the flop and never changed....

I don't know that I would have slowplayed a "low set" from the flop in a tournament. There are oh so many things that could have gone wrong... higher set, straight, flush, boat, quads... yikes.

hork.
  • I don't know that I would have slowplayed a "low set" from the flop in a tournament. There are oh so many things that could have gone wrong... higher set, straight, flush, boat, quads... yikes.

It does depend a lot on the texture of the board, and your own player image (and other things of course). For example pocket 77 with a flop of Q74 rainbow it probably okay to slowplay, but I'd be less inclined to play it slow with a flop of JT7 two-suited. You might also play it slower if you think you have a weak-tight player image to incude bluffs. But even still, I wouldn't wait too long to play back with a dangerous board.

ScottyZ