How Do People Multi-Table?

I have always been curious how people can play more than 4 games at once. What is the secret behind this? Do you use software to keep track of your opponents? Only play super-strong hands?

I can only manage to play about 3-4 at a time, and when I do do it my play seems to get worse. So, if anyone is good at this, how do you do it?

Comments

• Graham wrote: »
    I have always been curious how people can play more than 4 games at once. What is the secret behind this? Do you use software to keep track of your opponents? Only play super-strong hands?

I can only manage to play about 3-4 at a time, and when I do do it my play seems to get worse. So, if anyone is good at this, how do you do it?

I asked this question elsewhere, the answer seems to be:

Play premium hands with extreme aggression (no decisions to make post flop)

Use poker tracking software to pick up tendencies.

You can't make good solid poker decisions post flop unless you have really honed your strategy enough so it's automatic. You have XY cards, you raise, if flop comes like ABC then do this DEF then do this. This would likely work well at lower limits since less people are paying attention. However, I'd be concerned past about .25/.50 as people tend to start really playing your tendencies.
  • zunni74 wrote: »

You can't make good solid poker decisions post flop unless you have really honed your strategy enough so it's automatic. You have XY cards, you raise, if flop comes like ABC then do this DEF then do this. This would likely work well at lower limits since less people are paying attention. However, I'd be concerned past about .25/.50 as people tend to start really playing your tendencies.

No offence to people on this forum who may play these limits (including myself), you are giving too much credits to just a random player.

Also table selection is important.
  • Yes +1

Way too much credit. I run 6-8 games all the time.

In Full Tilt/Ongame I tag all the players with the handy colour coding both networks have. I avoid sitting at tables with more than one TAG (doesn't mean there are more there but once I mark them, if the table is bad then I pack up and move tables). I try and find tables with my fish, which I tag green and superfish which I tag purple or green+ on Ongame. Superfish don't last long - they usually bust and disappear within a month or two. I might get a few hundred hands in against them if I am lucky. I'll even sit out if I can and move to get these losers on my right so I can isolate against them endlessly. I try to avoid getting a shark on my right or left (red) because all we end up doing is fighting over the blinds. Weak tight players are yellow. It's easy to beat these players but the pots are small. I'd rather play the loose aggressives or fish. Rocks are blue or exclamation mark on Ongame - easy to fold against these players preflop. Again, not much money to be made from rocks but unless you are really stupid, you shouldn't really lose anything to them either.

Pokertracker is a must. Anyone playing without it has thrown so much money away they could have already bought it many, many, many times over.

I have Pokertracker holdem and omaha installed on my desktop and one laptop with gametime+ and pokerace hud. Pokerace I use during tourneys but I like the gametime+ better for cash. I have Pokertracker3 installed on my second laptop but I am still working out the kinks with it and also it isn't enabled yet on Ongame which is my main network so mostly I have used it just for tourney's on FT and P* so far.
  • No offence to people on this forum who may play these limits (including myself), you are giving too much credits to just a random player.

+1. It always seems like the players that are one blind level above the game you play at make 'soul' reads.. until you just play it and realise they still suck
  • moose wrote: »
    Yes +1

Way too much credit. I run 6-8 games all the time.

In Full Tilt/Ongame I tag all the players with the handy colour coding both networks have. I avoid sitting at tables with more than one TAG (doesn't mean there are more there but once I mark them, if the table is bad then I pack up and move tables). I try and find tables with my fish, which I tag green and superfish which I tag purple or green+ on Ongame. Superfish don't last long - they usually bust and disappear within a month or two. I might get a few hundred hands in against them if I am lucky. I'll even sit out if I can and move to get these losers on my right so I can isolate against them endlessly. I try to avoid getting a shark on my right or left (red) because all we end up doing is fighting over the blinds. Weak tight players are yellow. It's easy to beat these players but the pots are small. I'd rather play the loose aggressives or fish. Rocks are blue or exclamation mark on Ongame - easy to fold against these players preflop. Again, not much money to be made from rocks but unless you are really stupid, you shouldn't really lose anything to them either.

Pokertracker is a must. Anyone playing without it has thrown so much money away they could have already bought it many, many, many times over.

I have Pokertracker holdem and omaha installed on my desktop and one laptop with gametime+ and pokerace hud. Pokerace I use during tourneys but I like the gametime+ better for cash. I have Pokertracker3 installed on my second laptop but I am still working out the kinks with it and also it isn't enabled yet on Ongame which is my main network so mostly I have used it just for tourney's on FT and P* so far.

haha
    i don't know how you can stand the software?
    i cannot put into the hands
    max 600 hand, and i take break every 200 hands.
    software just tilt me so bad. there is no way to play A game at ongame.
    FTP i can play 1k hand, then take break, and play another 1k hand.
    so, i have not get as much 8x bonus as i like.
    i'm moving my funds at ongame back to Prima.
  • Graham wrote: »

I usually 8 table. Sometimes 12 table when im feeling like i need extra sensory input. To be honest you just get used to it. If you are good at multitasking and have a program like pokertracker it becomes easy to play standardly although your winrate will suffer compared to playing elss tables, you are likely to win more overall.
  • I avoid sitting at tables with more than one TAG

Really? Where are you playing? I'd given up that juicy tables even existed online anymore...they're like leprechauns and eskimos and such...
  • You didn't read my statement correctly. I avoid sitting down at tables with more than one tag that I am aware of. After I have sat down and played a few orbits I will reassess.
  • I avoid sitting down at tables with more than one tag that I am aware of.

Fair enough, that makes more sense, shorthanded tables I'm guessing?
  • No I couldn't possibly multi-table that many short handed. Full ring only. Shorthanded you really need to know your opponents or you will get killed. Full ring you can stick to ABC and play your position. Above .5/1 nl it gets very hard to find a decent table. Sometimes it's just 6-7 sharks fighting over one fish. I think it is very important to keep accounts at multiple sites so you can play the best tables across several sites rather than 2-3 mediocre tables at one site.

I guess part of my situation is that my hours are very limited. I can't play until the kid is asleep so I am only on from 9-1am or so. So I end up multi-tabling in order to get my hands in. At most I can play one or two tournies. Usually I play my league event and try to get in the nightly 55 at 9:30 on Stars or FT. Then I add 4-6 nl cash games on top. Weekends I can almost never play so I miss all the big tournies. :(