How To Extract Value Out Of Premium Pairs

Just curious here if anyone has any suggestions. I was playing 20NL on cake today and just had a hell of a time extracting value out of my aces and kings. Even out of position or in position. Most times I would raise for 5X. Just because these low limit donkeys like myself tend to overcall sometimes... thus I'm trying to get a price out of them. But it seemed I got very little action. Am I opening/raising to large. I just feel that opening smaller might lead my premium pairs to get busted more frequent I guess. Insight would be great.

I still had a decent 2 hour sitting though winning about 2 buyins. So I can't complain really. I played very tag. I pounded my position hard and c-bet like for most of tomorrow. And it worked really. I pretty much took a lot of small pots. Only one time I was all in and I got it in good. 10 10 in the cutoff. UTG pot raise to .70... I repump to 2.40... UTG calls. Comes down 10 A Q... I think with AA or QQ he 4 bets me PF. He leads flop, I reraise, he shoves I call... He has AQ off, board bricks. Felt good.

Comments

• hoosch wrote: »
    I pounded my position hard ... I repump ... Felt good.
    i don't know where these kids get all the energy!

seriously, though, try getting your AA when your opponent gets KK.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    i don't know where these kids get all the energy!

seriously, though, try getting your AA when your opponent gets KK.

Lol...If I could I would make my aces run into kings everytime.
  • Was this a 10 person or a 6-max game? If its 10 person 5x seems like a good raise, if its 6 max, id probably lower to about 3-4x, but it also depends how you normally raise. Ie. if you always raise 3x in position do the same thing with one of these hands. If suddenly you are betting 4x it will probably look suspicious, unless you constantly vary your raises.
  • These are six max games... I've noramlly been just a pot clicker as of late on cake. Sometimes I will alter slightly... Wasn't so good here when I just got home after supper... I ran my AJ into 1010 hence to hit a set on the flop... Lost 2 buy ins... thus I'm down 1.25 buyins thus for the night.
  • Raise some random hands once in a while... if you only raise premium hand to 5x is a bit ... obvious :)

also, sometimes, if you think you have a really tight image it might not be a bad thing to showdown some real junk so that people don't take you as seriously as they should when you do have aces/kings/queens/22 (22 owns).
  • hoosch wrote: »
    Just curious here if anyone has any suggestions. I was playing 20NL on cake today and just had a hell of a time extracting value out of my aces and kings. Even out of position or in position. Most times I would raise for 5X. Just because these low limit donkeys like myself tend to overcall sometimes... thus I'm trying to get a price out of them. But it seemed I got very little action. Am I opening/raising to large. I just feel that opening smaller might lead my premium pairs to get busted more frequent I guess. Insight would be great.

I still had a decent 2 hour sitting though winning about 2 buyins. So I can't complain really. I played very tag. I pounded my position hard and c-bet like for most of tomorrow. And it worked really. I pretty much took a lot of small pots. Only one time I was all in and I got it in good. 10 10 in the cutoff. UTG pot raise to .70... I repump to 2.40... UTG calls. Comes down 10 A Q... I think with AA or QQ he 4 bets me PF. He leads flop, I reraise, he shoves I call... He has AQ off, board bricks. Felt good.

To get more action in general you gotta play looser. But... at nl20 the best style will be playing TAG or Nitty tag. Just wait till u have a hand and bet bet bet. GL :)