Fighting The Bankroll Management Bug...

I mentioned this is my introductory post. But I keep having trouble with it. Over the last 2 months I've had the biggest swings I've ever seen in search for a huge score. But once up up I don't know when to quit risking my whole roll. Thus I'd appreciate some insight people can offer me. I've currently locked myself out of Stars and Tilt just so I can regain some focus and perhaps go about this half normal. I've currently got around 1500 in my moneybookers account that I'm waiting till the end of the month. I've been steadily playing a lot of Omaha of late and probly will start with such. What would be an appropriate BB level to start at. Perhaps .10/.25 or .25/.50. I was thinking somewhere in that neighborhood. Hopefully you guys can supress some thought provoking ideas..

Thanks Justin

Comments

• I am in a similar situation with regards to bankroll size and I typically play between .25/.50 to 1/2 short stacked 6-max PLO. I play pretty aggressive with some risk at the beginning to build up a stack, then slow down to minimize risk on hands. So far this strategy has been working out pretty good.
  • I may be misremembering, but I believe it was Chris Ferguson who reccomended NOT putting more than 10% of your roll at risk in any given tournament. For cash games I believe the # is in the thousands of BB's , or maybe it's buy-ins. Help me out folks. I know I have the tourney data right, though.
  • I've read these over briefly before... but I find it is more of a mental problem I guess lol.... I can tell myself over and over again to stay within means. But when I go on tilt... bam I find myself sitting down with my whole roll. Is there some sort of routine others or exercises one can even start to do behind this concept.
  • Thanks guys... this will give me some time to rethink some stuff over. I'm currently gonna take a about 2 weeks off from online poker, and giver come August hopefully with a fresh mind. I've also started a blog and perhaps will post is up when that time rolls around.
  • I think there are a lot of poeple that have the same problem, including myself. It is a known fact that there are a lot of good players that go broke and it is the ones that can maintain a bankroll that survive.

You may see that online/live where you sit back and watch and think that you could play on their level. At the end of the day you probably could but you don't have the bankroll to sustain that level...therefore they have an edge on you :(

Goodluck with the quest!
  • if short on bankroll
    i recommand you go on bonuswhoring
    bonus + rakeback.
    this way, even at break even stretch. you still get 5-600 bonus + rakeback (if possible). if you win, that is even better.
    if you play anything more then 50NL. you should be able to clear $600 bonus at any site.
  • My bankroll rules are:

1. Never play with more than 5% of your bankroll in a cash game.
    2. Never play a stt for more than 2% of your bankroll.
    3. Never play a multi-table tournament for more than 1% of your bankroll.
  • I'm willing to invest a higher percentage for MTTs because I set a goal to play in a certain tournament then I go about winning a satellite or cash games beforehand, but those are pretty good guidelines. Some players may be great at poker but are horrible at things like bankroll management, game selection and discipline. After my trip to Las Vegas and talking to a bunch of insiders, I was shocked how so many of these so-called "professionals" that I used to admire have actually gone broke and the only way they could play poker is if they find a friend or business to stake them. :eek:
    My bankroll rules are:
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I'm willing to invest a higher percentage for MTTs because I set a goal to play in a certain tournament then I go about winning a satellite or cash games beforehand, but those are pretty good guidelines. Some players may be great at poker but are horrible at things like bankroll management, game selection and discipline. After my trip to Las Vegas and talking to a bunch of insiders, I was shocked how so many of these so-called "professionals" that I used to admire have actually gone broke and the only way they could play poker is if they find a friend or business to stake them. :eek:
    Yeah you can get away with fewer buyin's for MTT's if the field it less than 200.

For example if you're a really good player you can enter a 100 man MTT with about 55 buyins, (sklansky/maluth calculated this out)

But for the big 1000+ player MTT's you need about 100 to 400 buyins.
  • Originally Posted by ReefAquarium viewpost.gif
    My bankroll rules are:

does that included multi-table?
  • Bankroll is a bitch I always stop following it at some point and go broke...

So far I've been disciplined for over a month and I got my new 50 deposit up to 260 by playing a shitload of low buyin STT...

if I can keep it up and avoid the "ahh... just a couple high buy ins I can afford it" I'll be fine... must...resist.
  • InsaneGuy wrote: »
    Bankroll is a bitch I always stop following it at some point and go broke...

So far I've been disciplined for over a month and I got my new 50 deposit up to 260 by playing a shitload of low buyin STT...

if I can keep it up and avoid the "ahh... just a couple high buy ins I can afford it" I'll be fine... must...resist.

nice 500% returen
    don't move up until you got enough
    and by the way
    if you only play low STT SNG
    why stars?
    you get nothing out of it.
    play sites that give you rakeback, it add up.
    go on bonuswhoring, you'll have enough to move up in no time.
  • Well I love Stars for the fact that you log in, subscribe to 2-3 sng and they all start in the next minute.
    Oh and the fact that table don't popup is also a big factor :)
  • Originally Posted by ReefAquarium viewpost.gif
    My bankroll rules are:

does that included multi-table?

You could put 5% on one table and 5% on another.

If you think multi-tableing reduces your win rate significantly you could put 3% on each table to be more conservative...
  • Okay guys another quick question... I have some funds stashed away in my moneybookers account and also have a couple hundred bucks that totals ~2K. I'm just wondering if If you guys recommend using the total as something as to what I can play within a bankroll or just what I have deposited on a site. I think I'm gonna go with 50-60 buyins as far as my cash game roll goes. Use this as far as moving up and down.