Is colluding extremely effective?

Hey guys!

Im doing ok at poker right now , winning and losing just as much. I'm doing some research on colluding and wanted to know if anybody has ever tried it?

By the way I want opinions , not flamers that will tell me how unethical this is!

Comments

• mafiaboy wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Im doing ok at poker right now , winning and losing just as much. I'm doing some research on colluding and wanted to know if anybody has ever tried it?

By the way I want opinions , not flamers that will tell me how unethical this is!

First of all.. watch out, anyone with only 2 posts before they drop this bombshell of a thread, is in for some serious trouble from our regular forumers... and for good reason, since I'm guessing your 4th post, the follow up to this one, will be advertising a new colluding software that shows you and your team's hole cards which only costs 5 easy installments of $999.95 or some SPAM crap like that.

But since I'm bored, I'll bite, and actually respond:

I can honestly say I've never tried it. I do suppose though, it could work online.

I'm guessing you would need a few different people who you could chat with at the same time while playing. You would need to be on the phone/skype with them though, as you wouldn't want any delays in the relaying of information, so as not to draw any attention.

I think that you could gain an edge; by not having any confrontations with them, and always knowing a couple extra cards that are dead. The more people you were colluding with at the table, the easier it would be to abuse the non-colluders. I do think it would be hard to do it very often though, as I'm sure most sites have measures to send up red flags when multiple players are at the same table together frequently, and posting profits nearly always.

I'm sure that once you've folded KK preflop 4 times against the same player's AA, they would become aware very quickly. ;)

While it MAY be possible for it to be a profitable venture for you, I think online, there are enough ways to play profitable poker, that if you spend your time studying the game, and perfecting it; rather than setting up complex colluding strategies, you will end up WAY AHEAD in the end.

oh and colluding is completely unethical, how dare you bring it up!!
  • What the hell? You're looking for justification for collusion? Sorry, can't do it.

Its unethical, unnecessary, and those who participate in it eventually get what they deserve (accounts frozen and a bad rep in the industry).

You're what now? 15 yrs old? Same advise as last time

STAY IN SCHOOL!
  • so much for the flamers..

I'm surprised there hasn't been a book written on the topic yet. Personally, I think it happens more often than most realize (especially) live with players signalling each other their hole cards. Any decent player is going to be against it as it gives the players an unfair advantage. Could playing 'friendly' (checking down hands against friends) be considered collusion? some would say 'yes' as you are not playing your cards. As noted, it is pretty easy to get caught online and having multi accounts in your name is pretty difficult these days.

Spend your time reading some poker books and you will be further ahead.

btw, collusion is like masterbation....
  • Firstly, you will have to live with yourself as a cheating scumbag. Sure you may make some money, but karma will come back to bite you in the ass.

I know people that have had rooms full of computers on different IPs set up just for collusion. This was more back a few years, but I am sure it still happens nowadays. They ended up stopping because many sites put in extra measures to detect this activity. If you are caught, chances are they will seize all your money.

The reality is though that it is still VERY HARD for them to detect. Sure you can get away with it, but unless you are playing over 80% of the spots at the table there is still a lot of variance and it could play against you (for example if you folded a hand with a 8 in it, and board comes 882 it will be hard to believe the other player has the other 8.

I think sites are getting smarter though with this stuff, so is the risk worth the potential reward? I think the answer is... hardly.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    btw, collusion is like masterbation....

It always has a happy ending?
  • Graham wrote: »

really, you don't know the answer? Seems the only topics that get any discussion on this forum are about strap-ons, jerking off, etc.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    really, you don't know the answer? Seems the only topics that get any discussion on this forum are about strap-ons, jerking off, etc.

I digress.... please explain.
  • if you search 2+2
    lots player got their account close and funds conferscate.
    mean you'll lose your money.
    online sites are can detect who's colluding, because they know what everybody has.
    live poker is another case
    you can collude for days, and nobody know it.
    another reason why online is better
  • Graham wrote: »

I always thought it made you become blind !

On topic... if you have to cheat you suck, find another hobby.
  • oh come on people, it's mafiaboy! he brough the internet to its knees. for sure he doesn't need your help to collude.
  • InsaneGuy wrote: »
    I always thought it made you become blind !

That explains why some players misread the board and think they are actually on a flush draw.
  • Collusion is awesome! I can honestly say that I have played in a MTT where I colluded with 2 other and we won the whole thing. Of course that was at Bristol and it was encouraged so it might be a bit different.
  • InsaneGuy wrote: »
    I always thought it made you become blind!

It might also have to do with kittens dying, but I don't know how that could happen from collusion...

God_Kills_A_Kitten.jpg
  • I saw a friend doing it over Skype with some other buddies on the other end playing at the same table. I don't get why people are doing this. Sure, they might make some money but I play to get better and I can't get any better if I know the cards of three other players but maybe that's just my opinion. :)
  • Kind of an interesting question in a way from a purely theoretical standpoint.

Disregarding the morality of it (I doubt shame/guilt will matter to those who would collude anyways), I would say that collusion would selectively be effective, however for many players it would probably be less effective then playing more tables properly.

Collusion also comes with risks (ie: consequences if caught) that basically require much higher earnings to justify the risks to the online bankroll. Perhaps it might be barely worth it for marginal players playing 1-2 tables or sit and gos at a time. However, those who play a lot, it would not be of any help at all in terms of results.