Wtf???

The lunatics are truly running the asylum now!!!!
ctvNews wrote:
The lawyer for a Quebec man whose daughter took him to court to challenge her father's grounding punishment says that he will appeal a ruling that he had no right to ban his child from a school trip.

Kim Beaudoin, lawyer for the man, told CTV's Canada AM that the father wants to reclaim the parental authority he lost when his daughter took him to court.

"You can imagine that he has no authority towards this child anymore," Beaudoin said.

"If she comes back home, the reaction will be every time he gives a punishment, well, you know, I can always bring you to court. That's not the situation you want in your family."
Beaudoin said that the father also wants to spare other parents from having to go through a similar situation.

The man had told his 12-year-old daughter that she could not go on a three-day trip with her classmates after she got into an argument with her stepmother. The father had also banned the girl from using the Internet after he found out she posted pictures of herself on a dating website.

The father has custody of the girl, but she went to live with her mother after the family fight.

The girl took her case to Quebec Superior Court, where Justice Suzanne Tessier ruled that the man had no right to ban his daughter from the trip.

After the court ruling, the girl did go on the trip, a short class jaunt through Quebec to celebrate graduation from the sixth grade.

The judge said that the father's punishment could not stand because the girl is now living with her mother. Tessier also said that banning the girl from the trip was excessive punishment.

However, Beaudoin said that the father had told the girl at the beginning of the school year that she could go on the trip if her behaviour was good throughout the year.
The man was "stunned" when his daughter brought the case to court.
"He was so firm on the fact that he had given a punishment and he wanted that punishment to be maintained," Beaudoin said.
"He never thought that she'd bring this to court."

Comments

• The girl took her case to Quebec Superior Court, where Justice Suzanne Tessier ruled that the man had no right to ban his daughter from the trip.

Fuck, how dumb is this judge?
  • Reminds me of the whole spanking debate. Something wrong with I don't know what to even call it, democracy, liberalism?
  • Wow... that must be one smart 6th grader if she faught her own case, and won! That lawyer should probably throw in the towel now.
  • actyper wrote: »
    Reminds me of the whole spanking debate. Something wrong with I don't know what to even call it, democracy, liberalism?

Speaking of which
    CTV.ca | MPs discuss their views on anti-spanking bill
  • Graham wrote: »
    Wow... that must be one smart 6th grader if she faught her own case, and won! That lawyer should probably throw in the towel now.

She actually got a free lawyer. One of the Child Advocate lawyers, I believe.
  • unbeleivably stupid...
  • What do you expect from a legal system that is in such state that I can make the following statement...
    "... the ruling, in this case, was based on the fact that the staement of grounding, from father to daughter, took place in English, and therefore was not binding."
    ... and it is not immediately clear whether or not I am joking!
  • I would imagine mother is pulling the strings behind the scenes here, another case of using the child to get back at the spouse...
  • compuease wrote: »
    I would imagine mother is pulling the strings behind the scenes here, another case of using the child to get back at the spouse...

I would imagine the mother had quite a bit to do with this.
  • After Mme Tessier made her ruling, I would have (if I were the Father in question) immediately handed over my daughter's backpack, or some other form of her possessions. In response to the inevitable "WTF?", I would respond that the judge obviously has a better grasp of how to raise my daughter, so she should feel free to take said child home with her, and assume all other responsibilities forthwith. Sometimes I hate the people with power in this country. What a dumbass.