Online backups

For the past few weeks I've been looking into some solutions to back up my rather large amount of data (~200GB) and keep it secure. I came across 2 rather promising services that look like they will do the job.

The first is a product called Carbonite Download your free 15-day trial now. Pretty easy to use and has unlimited storage for about $50/yr. Great product for the non-tech person. The downside is it does not support network drives. I've been running it for 7 days now and just about have all my data copied (lol).

Carbonite Review

The second one is IDrive. Easy to use and has 150GB of storage for about $50/yr. Supports network drives and Mac's.

IDrive review

Comments

• Frankly I wouldn't backup anything online. Anything worth being backed up I probably wouldn't want to get into the hands of someone else (ie. put on a site where I don't control the security of it). For the cost of hardware nowadays, just buy an external hard drive.

What is with the affiliate links btw?
  • Graham wrote: »
    Frankly I wouldn't backup anything online. Anything worth being backed up I probably wouldn't want to get into the hands of someone else (ie. put on a site where I don't control the security of it). For the cost of hardware nowadays, just buy an external hard drive.

It's all encrypted online (you choose the key).
    The problem I find with external HD (that I have used in the past) is they are a pain to keep safe.
    Sure I have protection from accidental deletion of files but they can also fail in time. You also need to be concerned with theft/fire etc unless you want to buy a couple of them and have one locked away at all times, rotating them through a backup cycle.

Me, I'd rather have something that I can just run in the background and not have to deal with it.