LOL @ the Ineptitude of the CBC

Comments

• i dont even want to begin to find out why CBC just did that. pure stupidity, apparently they didnt want to pay up another $2 mil for the contract or something along those lines.....

nice pick up for CTV / TSN tho.
  • That is pretty dumb.... good for CTV!
  • CBC has made some bad choices in the past, but this one takes the cake.

Good for CTV to pick it up and give it the honour it deserves. Maybe the CBC will one day realize being CHEAP in this industry only hurts your profitability in the long run.

How much you wanna bet they already have a gag order on Cherry about this?
  • Seriously? You guys are this up in arms over the theme music for HNIC not coming back?

I thought that CBC sold the rights to HNIC or something..

Nothing to see here, move on.

TSN is where old CBC things go to die anyway.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    I thought that CBC sold the rights to HNIC or something..

No they lost the rights to NHIC when the agreement with the composer expired after the playoffs.
    Seriously? You guys are this up in arms over the theme music for HNIC not coming back?

I'll never the time I was in Texas for a Scout Camp, and the organizers thought they would honour us by playing our national anthem. They played the HNIC theme song, and we all roared with laughter.

I'm not really 'up in arms' about it not coming back. What infuriates me more is that CBC is being a goddamn cheap skinflint and now is giving up such an important piece of Canadiana all for the sake of a few bucks.

CBC has been slowing dying for decades, this is just another example of why they will never be a bigger player in the entertainment industry up here. They're too goddamn cheap to invest in a good thing.
  • Bring back The Raccoons!
  • CBC is being a goddamn cheap skinflint and now is giving up such an important piece of Canadiana all for the sake of a few bucks.

TSN bought the rights for 3 million dollars. CBC is a public entity. How could you go back to the public and justify 3 million dollars when things like the CBC Orchestra which cost 100k/year were being cut?

Seems like either way, CBC was going to get screwed. "WHY DID YOU PAY SO MUCH?" or "OMG THOSE TWELVE NOTES CAN'T GO"
    CBC has been slowing dying for decades

Actually, they just had their best year ever. The question that needs to get answered is what the CBC is actually supposed to be. Back when content was lacking overall, I understood.. but nowadays with the multimillion channel universe, do we really need to continue to fund it at all? And if we do, should it be just focusing on canadian content you can't get elsewhere or should it keep re-airing Simpsons episodes?
    Actually, they just had their best year ever. The question that needs to get answered is what the CBC is actually supposed to be. Back when content was lacking overall, I understood.. but nowadays with the multimillion channel universe, do we really need to continue to fund it at all? And if we do, should it be just focusing on canadian content you can't get elsewhere or should it keep re-airing Simpsons episodes?

Some of the new shows they were trying out last year were actually quite good...The Border is a great example. CBC did a great job on that particular show as far as I'm concerned, but I heard it was axed. Why? Production costs? No audience? They need to bring more shows like that out and invest, then promote the shit out of them in order to succeed.

Last thing I want from CBC is Beachcombers re runs and HNIC highlights. Some orginality would be good.
  • Well I think the CBC is given a tough mandate: Create interesting unique canadian content that nobody in Canada wants to watch. Oh and make money at it too.

Face it, we're all addicted to Global and CTV's model of creating the gov't mandated minimum programming and sticking their own commercials on american content.
    TSN bought the rights for 3 million dollars. CBC is a public entity. How could you go back to the public and justify 3 million dollars when things like the CBC Orchestra which cost 100k/year were being cut?

BINGO!

Heaven forbid our government decides NOT to piss away our taxes on the rights to a song.
  • BINGO!

Heaven forbid our government decides NOT to piss away our taxes on the rights to a song.

Would you say the same thing if it were for our national anthem? I think this "song" is a huge part of Candian culture and $2-3 Million seems completely justifiable for it.

They must have made a lot of money of those signs on the side of the road. What they need to do is start making GOOD Canadian content. If anyone watched that station that wasn't from Canada and thought that was what Canadian content is they would think we all have a newfy accent, are extremely sensitive, are midly retarded and probably go to bed at 9.
  • Would you say the same thing if it were for our national anthem? I think this "song" is a huge part of Candian culture and $2-3 Million seems completely justifiable for it.

Thats a stupid argument. No country would license a song for their national anthem. Unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY like "Who Let the Dogs Out".

Edit #2: Also, they didn't like shoot the composer and burn all the copies of the song in a big pile. If you are so in love with it, just watch TSN. Jesus.

Edit #3: Read the news stories that came out. CBC tried to buy it outright for about a million bucks, but the OWNERS OF THE LICENSE turned it down. Go bitch at Dolores Claman, now 80, about being a crusty old bitch that wanted more money.
  • What they need to do is start making GOOD Canadian content.

Actually, I don't watch the CBC because I prefer the american content. BUT, I do work right outside thier building downtown.. And you've got National News, Rick Mercer Report, George Stromponapkfdslfolous, Air Farce (defunct), Little Mosque balh ablha blah.. Seems like pretty good shows.

The only time anyone talks about the CBC is when they make tough cuts. Then everyone gets all feathered and ruffled with some ridiculous sense of canadian pride over the dumbest things. The HNIC Theme Song? Some Orchestra? How about that actually matters to the lives of people like say Healthcare or Homelessness or the economy (those auto jobs aint ever comin' back)?

Edit #1: Here's something for you to stew on: Service Employees now outnumber manufacturing employees in Canada for the first time ever. Now think about the fact that service jobs usually pay minimum wage while manufacturing (big auto et al) paid very well. Where do you think we'll be in 20 years if that keeps up?

Fuck the theme, fix the country.
    Thats a stupid argument. No country would license a song for their national anthem. Unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY like "Who Let the Dogs Out".

Ok bad example, and yes I do like "who let the dogs out", but there really is no way to provide a "good argument". Anyway, I will try again... let me try and put this in another way... what if Canada sold all rights to produce Maple Syrup to the US making it illegal to produce it here. I know you will argue that they don't have the climate for maple syrup, but that is not the point. It would basically be like selling off our heritage to a "competitor".
  • When I hear that theme song all I think of is Maple Leaf (garbage)hockey and represents nothing Canadian for me. CBC should focus on getting a better selection of games and watch some real hockey.

REDWINGS STANLEY CUP CHAMPS AGAIN. I Love it.
    Actually, I don't watch the CBC because I prefer the american content. BUT, I do work right outside thier building downtown.. And you've got National News, Rick Mercer Report, George Stromponapkfdslfolous, Air Farce (defunct), Little Mosque balh ablha blah.. Seems like pretty good shows.

Yes, they do "seem like pretty good shows", till you watch them.
    BBC Z wrote: »
    The only time anyone talks about the CBC is when they make tough cuts. Then everyone gets all feathered and ruffled with some ridiculous sense of canadian pride over the dumbest things. The HNIC Theme Song? Some Orchestra? How about that actually matters to the lives of people like say Healthcare or Homelessness or the economy (those auto jobs aint ever comin' back)?

The $3 Million dollars that they just saved from this song will now allow them to do that, right?
    BBC Z wrote: »
    Edit #1: Here's something for you to stew on: Service Employees now outnumber manufacturing employees in Canada for the first time ever. Now think about the fact that service jobs usually pay minimum wage while manufacturing (big auto et al) paid very well. Where do you think we'll be in 20 years if that keeps up?

Fuck the theme, fix the country.

Again, not sure what this has to do with CBC and a song. I agree there are lots of issues, but it is completely irrelevant to this discussion. Maybe we need a new "save the country" thread.
  • Graham wrote: »
    Ok bad example, and yes I do like "who let the dogs out", but there really is no way to provide a "good argument". Anyway, I will try again... let me try and put this in another way... what if Canada sold all rights to produce Maple Syrup to the US making it illegal to produce it here. I know you will argue that they don't have the climate for maple syrup, but that is not the point. It would basically be like selling off our heritage to a "competitor".

Uh, that's just as dumb if not dumberer. CTV is Canadian too. In fact you should be happy since you will get to hear the beloved song more often because they show more hockey than CBC does.
  • Uh, that's just as dumb if not dumberer. CTV is Canadian too. In fact you should be happy since you will get to hear the beloved song more often because they show more hockey than CBC does.

I never said there was anything bad about it going to CTV... just dumb of CBC IMO.
    I never said there was anything bad about it going to CTV... just dumb of CBC IMO.

I still disagree. Here is the question.....how many viewers will HNIC lose on Saturday nights because they don't have the theme song anymore? How profit much would the 3 mil investment return?
  • I still disagree. Here is the question.....how many viewers will HNIC lose on Saturday nights because they don't have the theme song anymore? How profit much would the 3 mil investment return?

That will be interesting to see... I think they will lose some viewers though.
    That will be interesting to see... I think they will lose some viewers though.

Oh they may lose viewers, but it will be because they insist on showing the blue and white pile of shit that is the Maple Leafs every Saturday, not because of the theme song being different.
  • moose wrote: »
    that is all

Hahahaha I knew I wouldn't have to say anything to get people all fired up on this.

First of all the profits generated from HNIC playoffs pay for almost the CBC's entire budget for the year. Everything else the CBC runs is essentially at a loss.

Second, 100k/year with costs rising every year. This was 3 million for the rights in PERPETUITY. That means FOREVER people. CBC screwed up in the first place for not locking up the rights to this song in perpetuity at least 20 years ago when it was obvious that this song was an integral part of their programming. Letting the negotiations carry on until the deal had expired, just like any free agent making off with millions by jumping ship to another team just shows what a bunch of morons are running the show at CBC.

Good thing CTV picked up the rights, saving the CBC further embarassment, otherwise you would have seen this discussed on the floor of the House of Commons.

Bloc Québécois raise concern over remark made by hockey player - Wikinews, the free news source
  • That will be interesting to see... I think they will lose some viewers though.

OMFG, shut up.
    OMFG, shut up.

OMFG.. great post! Or did you mean that in the valley girl kind of way?
  • .how many viewers will HNIC lose on Saturday nights because they don't have the theme song anymore?

None. While I agree the theme has a sentimental value, let's not be disillusioned that HNIC needs it. Their hockey coverage is far superior to anyone else. They still have Don and Ron, plus a host of capable commentators/play by play people.

TSN has Pierre McGuire...nuff said.

It actually annoys me that TSN/CTV is promoting this as "saving the Hockey theme"...I'd sooner have it retired than have it rebranded for some substandard piece of shit telecast.

To me the "song" simply has no title, and would be completely worthless if not for HNIC. Songwriters should benefit "reasonably" over their meagre contributions, but shouldn't be able to hold someone hostage over it.
  • moose wrote: »
    This was 3 million for the rights in PERPETUITY. That means FOREVER people. CBC screwed up in the first place for not locking up the rights to this song in perpetuity at least 20 years ago when it was obvious that this song was an integral part of their programming.

Ooooooh perpetuity. Anyone paying anything close to 3 million for the rights to anything other than barrels of oil, gold or food beyond the next few years should have their head checked.

Also please explain how the song is integral to their programming?