Caddy sees a FIRE!!!!

This morning just before noon fire trucks blast by the dealership. We look out the window and see a large plume of smoke coming from about a block west of us.

I grab my camera and we head down the street toward the fire. There is a large abandoned building in this area called Alma College that has been slated for demolition in the past few weeks. It was first opened in 1881.

There have been several movies shot on the site. Most recently Silent Hill in 2005.

There have been several attempts to save the building from the wrecking ball. Restoration and condo development were attempted as you can see in the signs at the front of the building.

There are also fluorescent posters visible in the photos. There were students on site and protesting the demolition at the time is went up.

alma6.JPG

Exterior recent:

alma1.JPG

Archives:

100_97238b.jpg

519_98099.jpg

From the Dealership:

DSC01124.jpg

Approaching the scene:

DSC01126.jpg

DSC01127.jpg

From The Front:

DSC01128.jpg

DSC01129.jpg

DSC01130.jpg

The heat signature from here was unbelievable. In a matter of 2 minutes the heat doubled and was almost unbearable:

DSC01131.jpg

Moments before the Main Steeple Falls. We had been on the scene for 2 or 3 minutes:

DSC01132.jpg

Steeple and Roof are gone:

DSC01133.jpg

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01134.jpg

Total elapsed time on the entire slide show below is 15 minutes.

Slideshow

Pretty amazing. I will never see a fire like that again in my life time.

Comments

• pretty amazing photos. The local news would likely be interested.
  • Fire is a beast! That would have been something to see/feel.
  • So fire sale next week?

Seriously can you come down and torch Galt Collegiate next? That thing is such a money pit it would save me a bundle on my taxes.
  • Sell that photo of the steeple on fire!

ASAP... like right now.
  • Those are some amazing pictures!
  • It's not the first building I know of that was up for demolition that went up in flames, and I'm sure it won't be the last.
  • That is soooo cool!

/g2
  • any after pictures since the smoke has settled by now? heard they charged a couple guys with arson.
  • The property is an empty field now.

I took these later the same night when alot of the walls were still standing. From a different angle:

DSC00842.jpg

DSC00844.jpg
  • moose wrote: »
    So fire sale next week?

Seriously can you come down and torch Galt Collegiate next? That thing is such a money pit it would save me a bundle on my taxes.

Spoken like a true Southwood supporter...:D
    I saw the numbers when they were looking at closing one of the highschools and Southwood is the money pit. ;)
  • Demolition? Thought it had Heritage designation? That is why I thought the fire was convenient. If it's already going to be demo'ed, where's the profit in burning it? You have to know it's going to looked at VERY closely . . .
  • Don't think the 15 year olds that torched it had any other motive than to stand there like Beavis and Butt Head saying, "Yeah, yeah, cool. Fire Fire. Heeheh. Fire."
  • What kind of camera are you using... the quality of those pictures is amazing.
  • These were taken on Sony Cyber-Shot 6 Meg point and shoot. Not much of a camera really you can own one for about $125

My own personal camera is an Canon 35mm SLR but unfortunately I didn't have that one handy.
  • Wow...thats awsome... thanks.