Superusers and Silence: How UltimateBet let players get cheated for millions

Comments

• doesn't work -- i think it's been known for a while that absolute and ub have the same issues

link doesnt work for me
  • link works for me, been waiting for the outcome of whats going on..... pretty crazy stuff!
  • Glad I never played beyond $25NL on there. Not that I ever had the bankroll to go higher anyway :p

Way back when I had some UltimaePoints on UB to get the book Killer Poker Online for free so I ordered it. I read through it and can't remember much of what it said but I vividly remember one section in the book that talked of the dangers of online gambling and how you should NEVER play for big $$$$ online. Somewhat Ironic, no?
  • What bothers me is that it spawns my own paranoia.

For example......
    Last night I'm playing in a low stakes room on PStars. A player there joined the table with 5 bucks and in about 25 mins had it built up to 25 bucks. Now, if this was due to shrewd play it would have been okay, but the player only folded 2 hands preflop. On one of those hands I had AA...the other I had AKs. That player called every preflop raise with hands like T3o, Q3o, etc....and only folded on rivers so we never saw losing hands....but every river the player called won, even it was a T high hand against bluffs by other players, etc.

Now, it's possible that this player was just bad but lucky, but it makes you wonder, even in a low stakes game. Eventually I just left and found another table and recouped the small amount I lost there...but after reading that article, it makes the mind whirl.....
  • Fludlerk wrote: »
    What bothers me is that it spawns my own paranoia.

For example......
    Last night I'm playing in a low stakes room on PStars. A player there joined the table with 5 bucks and in about 25 mins had it built up to 25 bucks. Now, if this was due to shrewd play it would have been okay, but the player only folded 2 hands preflop. On one of those hands I had AA...the other I had AKs. That player called every preflop raise with hands like T3o, Q3o, etc....and only folded on rivers so we never saw losing hands....but every river the player called won, even it was a T high hand against bluffs by other players, etc.

Now, it's possible that this player was just bad but lucky, but it makes you wonder, even in a low stakes game. Eventually I just left and found another table and recouped the small amount I lost there...but after reading that article, it makes the mind whirl.....

You do realize that if someone could see your cards they wouldn't fold pre flop if they knew you had AA. The guy was clearly just a bad player... and if for some reason someone could see your cards they would be playing at higher stakes and they wouldn't make it obvious like the idiots running AP/UB.

To me what is scary is that people are still playing on UB... i mean they haven't even come forward and admitted anything about this yet. It is basically saying... go ahead and try and cheat and if we catch you cheating us we will still play on your site as long as you promise to fix it and that it will never happen again.
  • You do realize that if someone could see your cards they wouldn't fold pre flop if they knew you had AA.

Potripper had super user and he folded preflop to over pairs all the time.
  • I guess i should have said a somewhat logical person with access to hole cards then... potripper was far from logical... if he was he would still be stealing money

If someone smart knew everyones hole cards they would never get caught imo
  • _obv_ wrote: »
    I guess i should have said a somewhat logical person with access to hole cards then... potripper was far from logical... if he was he would still be stealing money

If someone smart knew everyones hole cards they would never get caught imo

quite true. just don't make it overly obvious and they could have kept cheating for a very long time. luckily their instant greed satisfaction overrides their logic (like most idiots and criminals).
  • First of all whoever was doing the cheating was a complete idiot, secondly how did their security departments not catch this... AP and UB are a joke... anyway here is the Press Release from UB:
    UltimateBet Poker News | UltimateBet.com
  • here is the Page Ranking from UB:

Would you fix this already? P - R does not mean page ranking.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Would you fix this already? P - R does not mean page ranking.

WTF...I dont know why that is happening.. will look into it. Thanks!1