Chicken soup for the Vegetarian's soul?

I've got a sore throat and fever, and as I recall there are several others on here who don't eat meat...what do you recommend? I'm not a big fan of cold meds -I'd like to avoid them.

(Beat: who the hell gets all the way through winter with no cold syptoms only to get sick in the middle of May?)

Comments

• Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I've got a sore throat and fever, and as I recall there are several others on here who don't eat meat...what do you recommend? I'm not a big fan of cold meds -I'd like to avoid them.

(Beat: who the hell gets all the way through winter with no cold syptoms only to get sick in the middle of May?)

if you don't eat meat, i guess you have to go with the wack jobs...gl finding a mate though
  • I'm too sick for this...could you just re-burn yourself one time?

Also:
    I really don't give a flying fuck if you all eat excesses of the most adorable, fluffy baby animals in the world.. I don't see why it would matter to you, that I don't....

but if anyone really wants to have it out on this subject, I'm pretty sure I'll win.
  • eat a lot of garlic, ginseng and echinacea.
  • What does eating or not eating meat have to do with your cold?

I eat my share of baby animals (actually I wait until they're grown and cut up into delicious morsels of meat) but I have a sore throat and cold right now too.

For the sore throat I suggest finding some Alpenkraft Herbal cough candies. No idea where to find them but I would check your local health food store.

try the lipton's noodle soup (dried); don't think there is any chicken in the soup, only chicken flavour.
  • mmmm I had rabbit on Easter....dee-licious!
  • miso soup is great as well; all vegi.
  • Human beings are omnivores. We are meant to eat all types of food, both meat and vegetable. That is why we have pointy teeth. To deny that aspect of our diet is silly. But knock yourself out, if that's your pleasure. More filets for me.
  • Uh oh, I think Milo opened the can of worms....
  • Worms are very high in protein. Or you can use them to catch Salmon. Mmmmmmmm . . . Salmon steaks, a few lemon slices, some garlic, a cedar plank. Yup, I know what I'm cooking tomorrow. Thanks Caddie.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    Uh oh, I think Milo opened the can of worms....

don't worry I'm too sick to drag this out....

That's stupid Milo, and here's why:

1. Ave. Vegetarian lives longer than ave meat eater

2. Every convenience you enjoy in your life came to you because used their brains and developed it...life evolves and as such we've developed a way to live without killing, and live longer and more efficiently, and with less environmental fallout, why wouldn't a thinking person make a better choice much akin to using a phone over a smoke signal.

3. I'm really not the sort to glower at meat eaters, it is delicious and as my previous signature suggested...most people are too weak and foolish to understand why they *could* make a better a choice. But after saying what I've just said...the rest of what you do is NOT MY PROBLEM/CONCERN, I only live my life in a way that makes sense for me. Bring Red over some time, I'm told I make wicked ribs.

So how's the ol' appendix working out for you these days Milo? ;)
  • The appendix is right where I left it. How are the supplements you need to make a vegan diet work, at least long-term. As for your claims that vegetarians live longer. some of the research I've been looking at while awaiting your response shows that meat in your diet actually slows the aging process. Try looking at some of the research done by the Jane Goodall Institute. They use Chimps in the study because the life cycle, while akin to humans, is much quicker. As for efficiency, getting my protein, vitamins, etc. through a balanced diet is more appealing to me than taking a bunch of pills with my meals. I like food. ALL types of food. Okay, Brussel sprouts are god awful, and if I never see another turnip I won't be heart broken, but you get my drift. Homo Sapiens are a long way, evolution-wise, from being able to survive on a strictly vegan diet. As in all things, moderation is the key. Too much of anything is rarely a good thing, regardless of what that thing is. My only point is that we are designed to survive through the consumption of many types of fuel sources: Meat, veggies, fruits, etc. To cut one of those types out of our diets is ill advised, at best.

So, how do you do your ribs?
  • Oh, and one other thing about my appendix. Recent studies have shown that it is not the useless little dangler we have long believed it to be. Circumstantial evidence indicates that it may actually act to protect beneficial bacteria within our bodies until such time as they are needed. Now if I could just get the wife a little more interested in that other "little dangler." Oh well, maybe the Salmon will work tomorrow night.
  • Ginger-noodle soup is awsome when u are sick... probably need to go to a more authentic type chinese restaurant to get it though.
  • After getting your blood pressure going, I feel obligated to help where I can. Assuming your throat is sore due to your cold, rather than something like strep, etc., you should drink the following:
    Twinnings Lemon tea, with a tablespoon of honey, a capful of Reallemon. And if you're feeling adventurous, throw in a half jigger of
    Hendrick's (sp?) gin. Take one of these every hour or so, and your throat will smooth out just fine
    don't worry I'm too sick to drag this out....

That's stupid Milo, and here's why:

1. Ave. Vegetarian lives longer than ave meat eater

Prob because other than Day of the Triffids, I've never seen a plant rise up and kill it's hunter. Also must be all those people choking on bones.
  • I like to take Sambucol... it's just blackberry juice....

It's supposed to have antiviral properties. it tastes great too.