You be the bellagio dealer...

I had a very strange occurrence at the Bellagio last night.

We had a very drunk player who had been playing 4-8 (no 8-16 running) for about 12 hours straight. He's take his sweet time to make decisions and sometimes hassle players.

Anyway, a new dealer sat down and thought he heard the drunk guy say that he wasn't playing this hand. So he delt him out. He was say UTG+3 at the time, so he's paid his full blinds for the orbit. The guy didn't like that, but took it in stride and didn't have anything disparaging to say about the dealer other than general complaining about not getting a hand. I think that's fair.

Anyway, the interesting part comes next hand.

The dealer deals two seats and then when he gets to the player, he stops and just stares at the guy who is staring back at the dealer waiting for his hand. He then proceeds to deal him out intentionally.

Naturally, this set the guy off on the dealer and the floor and he racked up and left in a firey storm of F-bombs.

Now heres my question. When is a dealer allowed to do something like this? He guy paid his blinds, he's entitled to his cards regardless if the dealer doesn't like his behavior.

After the hand I asked the dealer why he acted like that. He said that he was waiting for the player to say "Deal me in" because he hadn't gotten cards the previous hand. I say, he doesn't have to say deal me in. He implicitly says that when he pays his blinds and sits at the table.

So naturally, I voiced my disagreement with the dealer (very calmly so relax) and spoke with my feet, by leaving the game.

Is this something that happens all the time in live play? Or is it just everyone in poker taking advantage of a drunk player all they can? The dealer benefits by getting more hands in per hour at the table without the guy. I lose because he was an ATM.

IMHO, I think the bellagio really doesn't give a shit about its low limit games and they'll screw anyone they want to 'just because they can'.

What I find funny was the way the players treated this guy. An old lady was giving the guy disparaging remarks about his play or his attitude for hours without a warning. To make myself feel better, I told her off when I left :-)

Comments

• So, let me get this right, if you pay your blinds/session fee, this give you the right to be a belligerent, disruptive, slow-playing drunk at a game where everyone else at the table is there to play poker in a somewhat civilized manner? Or is it okay because he was donking his money off to the table? If it was me dealing, I would have had the donkey removed by the powers above, and that would have shut the old lady up...GAME ON. Isn't that why you were there in the first place?
  • No, that's not standard. The dealer does not have the power to do that. If there was a problem with the player the floor should have booted him (I think). If slower game>losing ATM then noone should have been saying much to this guy at all. If I were playing I would have discouraged the old lady sooner to keep the drunk happy. IMO if you choose to play drunk then I'll take your money just like I would any other player.
  • +1 for GTA's remarks.

I have to say though, I found the service and the dealers to be excellent when I played 4-8 at the Bellagio.

I remember being really impressed by the level of service for lower stakes actually. Considering right next to my table was Bobby's room, and there was a 100-200 nl game going on in there at the time.
  • I have to say though, I found the service and the dealers to be excellent when I played 4-8 at the Bellagio.

Interesting, I've pretty much heard the opposite, but it's only hearsay. FWIW, I played 15-30 last time I was there and had no problems (too bad there wasn't more mid-limit on the Strip).

But to get back to OP, I don't think the player needs to be asked to be dealt in, it's implied. If the dealer had a problem, he should have asked the floor to boot him, it's not like he can just hold a grudge and be a prick to the guy because they feel like it.