Playing the second nuts after the flop

Eventhough I was able to double through in this hand, not sure if I was too tentative. $1/$2 at a local club, your in middle position with 1010 off and have about $150. Table is pretty passive with pre-flop raises usually $7-$10 and little pre-flop raising. I decide to call the $2 and there are six players to the flop.

The flop brings 9910off. Player in early position makes it $15. This player has not played a lot of hands and is usually pretty passive. Do you raise in this situation or slow play hoping for more callers? I call the $15 and everyone else folds.

The turn brings another 9. Player bets $30. At this point you only have to worry about quad 9s. I was worried by this bet and did not raise in case he in fact had the other 9. Should you raise in this situation? He has me covered.

The river is a brick. Player bets out another $100. This really had me concerned as it seemed like a great bet if you in fact had the other 9 and were hoping I had a 10. Would you make this call with $47 invested in the pot? I made the call, not realizing I had a small amount behind and when I showed my full house, he folded. Just wondered how everyone would have played this hand any different POST FLOP(i.e. preflop raise was a given). If you had substancially more chips, would you raise after the $100 bet on the river?

Comments

• I would definitely raise the flop... in a 6 way pot on that flop you aren't gonna get paid off from a non 9x hand and a 9 is never folding on the flop... just calling gives them a change to get off cheaper if scare cards come. The river is a pretty tough spot because i think you will see a 9 a lot of the time since the way you have played it your range is a T at worst so your opponent bluffing in that spot is pretty bad.
  • _obv_ wrote: »
    I would definitely raise the flop... in a 6 way pot on that flop you aren't gonna get paid off from a non 9x hand and a 9 is never folding on the flop...

not unless they think you are trying to steal the pot or they have an overpair and they may call a raise. On the flop, I was thinking I was in pretty good shape as the only thing I needed to worry about is an over card, on the assumption they did not raise pre-flop with a big pair (which is unlikely). So calling seemed a better choice so I could build the pot further.
  • other than the first limper there is no chance someone has an overpair and that is not a good spot to try and steal the pot on that flop after a bet and a call in a 6 way unraised pot. basically if nobody has a 9 you are very rarely getting any more action so you may as well get the money in now since nobody is folding a 9 and you don't want scare cards to come and kill the action.