CD Burning Software

Going to a friends house who has a huge CD collection. What is the best free software for burning CDs on to my hard drive? I want to store them on my laptop and then transfer them to my other computer at home so they can be uploaded to itunes for my ipod. Life use to be so simple.

Comments

• The process is called ripping (burning goes to CD).
    You can use Windows Media Player to rip them.

Rip CDs to Your Computer with Windows Media Player 10
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Going to a friends house who has a huge CD collection. What is the best free software for burning CDs on to my hard drive? I want to store them on my laptop and then transfer them to my other computer at home so they can be uploaded to itunes for my ipod. Life use to be so simple.
    The process is known as CD-DA audio extraction. The CD format does not have files a PC can recognize so the first step is to extract the songs to a .wav audio file format. These are very large files that can be played on your PC. The next step is convert these .wav files to another, more compressed format like .mp3. This is a simple conversion done by tons of free programs.

The easiest way to basically take all the songs on a CD and make them into .mp3 files is to use some sort of CD-burning software like Roxio. It's as easy as selecting all the tracks on a CD, right-clicking and selecting save to or convert to mp3. Sometimes you can even enter names right there.

I'm sure there is also free software that does this. Hope this helps.