Trip Report Port Perry Tournament

'have a banana with your breakfast this morning honey" my wife said to me as she passed me a plate with half a banana on it.
When I asked her why? she said " I heard that eating a banana helps to stimulate your brain."

I arrived in Port Perry full of confidence and feeling fully stimulated(from the banana). I talked to a few people I knew from past tounaments and was able to meet Dead Money(rob). Rob it was a pleasure meeting you.

Iwas seated at table 6 seat 10 to start. I actually wasnt too thrilled about my table #. I knew that this table would be one of the first table to break up so that meant I would be moved fairly quickly. Once players started arriving at my table I was very happy to see a good mixture of youth and experience.

I usually write down key hands and chip counts during the tournaments that I play but this time I forgot to bring my notebook and pen with me. Hmmm I wonder if not being concerned with hands and chip counts as I skratch down notes in my book allowed me to be more observant at the table Hmmmm something to consider for my next tournament.

Cards are in the air!
Since I dont have my notes to look back on I will describe a few hands the best that I can remember.

First level of play blinds are 25/50
approx 2800tc
I limp in mid pos with Jc9c 2 other limpers when the button raises to 200, big blind calls i call,limpers call
flop is Ac6c3
I am considering a check raise here depending on who bets and who calls.
The original raiser bets 200 into a 1000 chip pot. Everyone calls to me
i decide against check raising and call the 200.
Turn is 6s
I check the preflop raiser leads again for 1000
2 callers to me and I fold. Dont like the board pairing and I really dont like 2 people calling that bet.

I win a nice pot with 10 J when I flop a straight
I have aprox 6000 now
blinds are now 50-100
I am the small blind with 7h2h
early pos limps 2 late limpers so I call from the small. Not exactly a premium hand I know but I am hoping to hit a lucky flop in this muti player pot, and I can rebuy if necessary.
Flop come 7 3 2 wow not bad for me
Early pos bets 200 late pos player raises to 1000 folded to me. I am thinking I am good here, the bettor could have anything based on his play so far but i am thinking he has some kind of a 7 probably A7. I imediately put the raiser on a medium pocket pair 99 or 10s maybe JJs. Whatever they have I have no doubt in my mind that my 2 pair is good at the moment. But what should I do? raise or smooth call? I decide that since my hand is still very vunerable against 2 players I should raise and try to win this pot heads up against the raiser. I raise enought to put both players all in aprox 3500.
the early pos player folds and the raiser calls quickly.
OOPS he has 33 for a set of 3s
turn is a brick but a 7 on the river gives me this pot. Ok i got lucky there very lucky and I learned a good lesson here, I need to take a little more time before I make my decisions. Well maybe there was no way to avoid this besides not playing the hand at all. I make a mental note not to play a bad hand like this again today. I already used up my mulligan on that hand.
I finish the rebuy period with 12 000. I dont do the add on the avg stack at this point is around 5500 and I have more than double that.

Blinds start at 100-200
I dont play any hands at this level
Blinds 200-400
I am on the button with A J 3 limpers to me
I raise to 1600 they all fold
Blinds 300-600
I get A Q one off the button
2 limpers to me I raise to 2000
both call flop is Kh 8h 3h
Both players check to me. I have no idea if I have a heart but
I bet out 3500 they both fold.

The table breaks up and I am moved to table 2 seat 8
I have 18 000 there are 44 players left
I win a few small pots and my chip count varies from as high as 26000 to as low as 19 000.
I am moved to table 1 seat 9 and I have 22 000
blinds are 1000-2000
after folding the big and small blinds I have 19 000 on the button
UTG raises to 4000 2nd UTG calls, folded to me I look down at pocket 10s
the player UTG has me covered and the caller has close to the same amount of chips as I do. I am sure that the UTG player dosnt have a big pair since he has raised his big pairsAA and KK 4 times the size of the big blind. SO what does he have that he would just double the blinds. My thinking is that he has a med pair 7s 8s 9s or possibly AK or AQ AJ. I am a fav against all those hands if he calls a reraise from me. But what does the caller have? I feel he has a suited Ace or a small pair. I decide to move all in for 19 000
since I probably have a good chance of winning this pot preflop.
The UtG player thinks for a long time and decides to call, the 2nd player calls also. I dont like my chances anymore.
UTG has AhQh the 2nd player has KdQd
flop is Jh 8h 3c
UTG has a flush draw and 2 overs
I feel sick I have a lot of bullets to dodge on this one
The next 2 cards are bricks and I triple up. WHOO HOOO
I have almost 60 000 now
The blinds are getting big and players are tightening up as we are now down to 2 tables.
blinds go to 2000-4000 and 3000-6000
I am able to build my stack slowly by re raising players pre flop that I suspect are trying to steal the blinds and having them fold in the face of being eliminated so close to the final table.

When we get to the final table blinds are 3000-6000
I have 95000 in chips
with the avg stack at 55 000 I am in great shape
I stay out of the action for a little while the blinds are going up quickly and I dont need to get involved at this point without a solid hand.
The blinds go up to 5000-10 000
I am the in the big when an early pos player moves all in for 35 000
It is folded around to me I look down at AK and I call
He shows AJ
a King hits the flop and he dosnt improve
I now have 110 000
ON the button I get AK again and A player in mid pos moves all in for 40 000
I call and he shows Qd 8d
once an Ace hits the flop its over for him and I now have 150 000
BLinds go to 10 000- 20 000
there are 5 players left
I steal a few blinds and must have won a couple of pots but I cant recall them now because when we are 3 handed I have 250 000 Aprox half of the chips in play
After a few hands of 3 handed play the other 2 guys get it all in pre flop and one player a AA and takes out the other player.
We are heads up and I have 300 000
after exchanging a few blind steals between us my opponent asks me if I would want to make a deal. He suggests $7000 a peice and play for the free seat and any extra money.
I made a deal the last time I made the final table here a about a year ago. we were 3 handed and agreed to split up the prize money based on chips. Since I was 2nd in chips I got 2nd place money. I left after making that deal feeling very unsatisfied and dissapointed with the whole thing. I wanted to win the tournament and earn the top prize. I decided that from then on I would not make deals again at a final table.

Back to heads up. I decline his offer. He doesnt look to happy that I said no to a deal.
I now get a rush of the worst cards you could ever see in heads up play
92 83 63 72 I am forced to fold my blinds He is raising every hand but I cant even defend my blinds. I considered re raising over the top but I am sure he will call and I dont really want to have all my money in with 92 0r 73
I cant believe this I have 120 000 left now and I am the small blind
I look down at the 2 most beautiful cards I have seen in a long time POcket 10s
I raise to 60 000 he calls
flop is K 9 5
I push all in for another 60 000
he calls and shows 9 6 for a pair of 9s
brick brick and I double up to 240 000
I am back Baby!
I raise his blinds and he now starts to fold
I limp in with Q 5 suited he checks
the flop is AKK I bet out 20 000
he folds
I have the chip lead again
He raises to 50 000
I look down at K 9 and call
flop is 952
he pushes all in and I call instantly
He shows K 2 for a pair of 2s
Brick Brick and its all over
Mark wins Mark wins

What a great feeling it is to win a tournament. There was a few close calls but I stayed out of trouble most of the time and was able to have the best hand every time I got all my money in. My good hands held up and the few times I was behind I got lucky, I guess you can't ask for more than that.

I love pocket 10s and I love bananas.

Comments

• Great report !Once again well done.
  • Great report. Pocket tens and AK seemed to be your hands. I find it hard to believe that both the AQ and KQ called you when you pushed them all in, maybe it was because they were sooted.

stp
  • 'have a banana with your breakfast this morning honey" my wife said to me as she passed me a plate with half a banana on it.
    When I asked her why? she said " I heard that eating a banana helps to stimulate your brain."

I wonder what the meaning of her passing you only half a banana is?
    I arrived in Port Perry full of confidence and feeling fully stimulated(from the banana).

Apparently she knows what she's doing. ;)

[reads report...]

Nice pull on the 72 two pair hand, but I agree with your analysis and the decision to play it strongly right away since it's a strong hand which is very vulnerable. You just happened to run into one of the very few hands that would give you trouble.

Great report and very well done. Congrats again!

ScottyZ
  • Great Report - and congrats again.
  • Wow, amazing story. Very nice!!
  • good job, enjoyed the report. enjoy your winnings!
  • That was excellent...

once again congrats
  • I'm curious, what was first prize money?
  • jester777 wrote:
    I'm curious, what was first prize money?
    A little over 10K CDN I believe
  • congratulations, those are tough tourneys with those crippling blinds!
    so what u doing with the money? haha
  • Agreed... the blinds at Rama and GBH suck, big-time. That's why it's going to be tough for me to participate as much as I'd like to in the CPT: the only B&M tournaments worth playing, IMO, are underground, or you have to fly to them.

Please don't take this to mean that DH 'got lucky' to win this tourney... quite the opposite, from what I've seen he's a very talented player. I'm just picky about the amount of play I'll get at tournaments, probably because I make inevitable comparisons to online, private, Regina or Vegas ones, which all seem to be (usually) more reasonably structured.

Regards,
    all_aces