My c-bet gets raised

2/5NL Live

All relevant players are 200+ BB deep

3 limpers to my button where I find A :s: Q :s: and bump it $25... Very Good Player and very loose LAG call.

Flop comes 4 :s: 4 :h: 6 :d: ... and both check to me.

I c-bet $55 and VGP comes over the top making it $155... LAG folds...

... what's your play here?... and what range can you put VGP on?

Comments

• VGP may have read your c-bet for just that. How much have you been c-betting?

As for range JJ+ (or maybe any over pair) but with the OOP call to the raise I'd say a big pair.

I doubt 66 and if he did, he'd prob check/call.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    How much have you been c-betting?

I c-bet into these 2 callers about 50% and VGP prob. knows this.
  • what range can you put VGP on?
    ha ha ha. any two cards.

you got outplayed. fold and don't look back.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    ha ha ha. any two cards.

you got outplayed. fold and don't look back.

Yup gotta be a bigger range.
  • Hard to establish what cards he has and therefore where you stand. Hang up your hat and fight another day.
  • should have saved your $55; AQ no good in this situation. Easy fold or push and cross your fingers. I'm surprised the LAG didn't have 24, etc. That's the story of my life.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    should have saved your $55; AQ no good in this situation. Easy fold or push and cross your fingers. I'm surprised the LAG didn't have 24, etc. That's the story of my life.
    this is really backwards thinking. i would expect a large part of the time your continuation bet takes down the pot, unless this guy makes a habit of always playing back at you because he knows he can get away with it. you (almost) never want to get all-in for 1000 here. quite possibly not even with AA in this situation - really depends on the opponent.

consider the 55 an investment. next time (when you flop a set) you'll be paid back with interest.
    consider the 55 an investment. next time (when you flop a set) you'll be paid back with interest.

flopping trips with AQ is pretty rare; I see a lot of players lose a lot of money with continuation bets in a cash game, especially when it becomes a habit. $55 into a $75 pot is ok, especially with that board. After the raise, better to wait for a better position and fold, as you noted.

Personally, I might check with AQ pre-flop. Yes, I said it, I might check AQ suited, even AK once in a while. Call it backwards thinking if you like, but when most players raise with AK, AQ, checking can actually payoff as your hand is disguised. If you miss the flop, you wait for a better situation and move on. If I have position, I may raise pre-flop, likely 80/20.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Personally, I might check with AQ pre-flop. Yes, I said it, I might check AQ suited, even AK once in a while. Call it backwards thinking
    that would really be mixing up your play, esp since you are the button.

when i mentioned flopping a set, i meant when you next time you raised (with TT say) on the button and actually flopped a set
    that would really be mixing up your play, esp since you are the button. QUOTE]

Isn't that the whole idea? keep the table guessing. You know me, I also call pre-flop with AA/KK sometimes.
  • OK... I'll end the suspense... I folded, but I was curious what you all thought his range could be?... but I didn't get too many guesses...

I gave this a lot of thought at the table... and I could only see his range being low to mid-pockets... remember he limped/called my raise or a complete bluff. I very nearly put in a re-raise to about $300... but I got no balls... and I folded... he didn't show so we'll never know!