sng promotion on stars

PokerStars - Battle of the Planets Sit & Go Promotion

anyone hear about these yet? finally a promotion that doesn't favor sheer volume of games. i emailed full tilt a couple months ago suggesting a very similar sng promotion (i.e. games in blocks and not just as many as you can play in a certain amount of time). at least one site picked up my idea.

anyone's thoughts on these?

Comments

• yeah I saw this message pop up during an SNG I was in.......it's pretty awesome, wish it started last month when I was tearing them up!
  • looks decent, but i need a nap after reading the details
  • Not sure how you check your points though. I didn't even realize it was on until I won a sitngo and when I looked at the payout email it mentioned the promotion so I looked at it. Don't think I'll play enough to make anything from it but at least it's a cool promo
  • You only have to play 20sngs in a week to qualify
  • Finally a promo even I can participate in!
  • when it says regular sngs, does that mean turbos are out?
  • thathoser wrote: »
    when it says regular sngs, does that mean turbos are out?

good question. i'm not sure about this.
  • ok, i had to post this email i sent to fulltilt almost a year ago in this thread mostly because i already had this idea and fulltilt ignored me. here's just a piece of the email i sent to them:

For SnGs - have the players make a selection which will keep track of their next ten SnG tournaments. Once a player makes this selection, they must play in ten SnGs within the alloted time of say a week or even a month since they can obviously make this selection again once they finish their first ten games. Their finishes in those ten games then go towards their tournament leader board rankings. I guess it is possible for multiple people to win ten straight SnGs, but for the most part I think it will yield good results.

i also suggested a different points breakdown that wasn't so buy-in heavy, but i'm assuming that's never going to change.
    when it says regular sngs, does that mean turbos are out?

Turbo's count. Played a few $6.50 turbo's and saw my points register.

There's an option to check how many points you have and check the leaderboard.

Goto Request dropdown->SNG Points/Leaderboard (something like that)
  • TiMSuM wrote: »
    Turbo's count. Played a few $6.50 turbo's and saw my points register.

There's an option to check how many points you have and check the leaderboard.

Goto Request dropdown->SNG Points/Leaderboard (something like that)

Thanks, found it earlier this morning. 0 cashes in 4 tries so far.. had some rotten luck running into big hands stealing blinds.
  • ya it is a good promotion soooo us no bankroll people have a chance at something,

if only they can fix their wacked out dealing system:rolleyes:
    Thanks, found it earlier this morning. 0 cashes in 4 tries so far.. had some rotten luck running into big hands stealing blinds.

Sounds like my experience. normally, I do really well ( in limited experience so far) but really don't think I'm going anywhere near the top of the leaderboard this week :)
  • philliivey wrote: »
    ya it is a good promotion soooo us no bankroll people have a chance at something,

Never freakin' mind...
    ya it is a good promotion soooo us no bankroll people have a chance at something,

ainttat the truth. rigged! :D
  • 92 points for me after three games (2nd, 3rd, 4th in 18 player $1.20). i only had like $5 on stars (withdrew most of it since i hardly play there anymore), so i figured i'd play the lowest level and give it a shot. not sure if i'll have the time to finish 20 this week, but it's all good. next week i'm finally done class so i'll be all over the poker tables then!
    ainttat the truth. rigged! :D

Considering I had this the other night:
    rigged2.jpg
  • Does it keep a running leaderboard of the top positions?

Seems like optimal play would be do to somewhere in the neighbourhood of 80 SnG's a week.. then when it gets towards the end of the week, stand 'pat' in the lower orbit or play 20 more and get reseeded to the higher one.

Looks like you also need to be VERY aware of how many SnGs you play in a planet if you want to remain in the low. If you play 101 SnG's thats one entry for the high orbit, not 5 low orbit and one high orbit entry.

Also, the 6 man SnG's look like the best value for points by paying top 2.. with an outside shot at the 8's paying top 3...
  • I'm playing the 6max $3's

have a measly 141 points in 14 games. started slow but had cashed 5 of my last 10

next set of 20 should be better. how about a friendly contest, see who can score the most points between us forumers?
    I'm playing the 6max $3's

have a measly 141 points in 14 games. started slow but had cashed 5 of my last 10

next set of 20 should be better. how about a friendly contest, see who can score the most points between us forumers?

Normally yes.. but let my cooler end first k?
  • if there was a contest for bubbling i would win hands down, none of you can catch me in bubbling:D
    if there was a contest for bubbling i would win hands down, none of you can catch me in bubbling:D
    I did it 7 times today out of 14 games.
  • im at 225 after 30 plus tourneys (pretty brutal I know).....and yeah bubbling is pretty damn pretty frustrating lol
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Does it keep a running leaderboard of the top positions?

Seems like optimal play would be do to somewhere in the neighbourhood of 80 SnG's a week.. then when it gets towards the end of the week, stand 'pat' in the lower orbit or play 20 more and get reseeded to the higher one.

Looks like you also need to be VERY aware of how many SnGs you play in a planet if you want to remain in the low. If you play 101 SnG's thats one entry for the high orbit, not 5 low orbit and one high orbit entry.

Also, the 6 man SnG's look like the best value for points by paying top 2.. with an outside shot at the 8's paying top 3...

Yup. Running leader board as well as your running points and how many SNG's in which planet level.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Does it keep a running leaderboard of the top positions?

QUOTE]

IS this true that you get bumped out of the low into the high by playing over 100 SNGs?
  • IS this true that you get bumped out of the low into the high by playing over 100 SNGs?

The example on the site lists someone playing 104 SnG's as having only block completed in the high orbit. Maybe I'm just pessimistic when I read.
  • so according to some people on here, you guys feel that it's better to play the shorthand sngs over the 'larger' ones? i figured i'd play the largest one's possible (18 player for my current level) since they offer the most possible points for a win (i.e. i win a few of those and i'm way ahead even though i don't place in some others). i thought i'd try to crunch some numbers and see how it turns out.

6 player tables:
    chance of finishing in the points = 2/6 = 33%
    average points one can win = 60/2 = 30
    winning an average of 30 points 33% of the time = 9.9

9 player tables:
    chance of finishing in the points = 3/9 = 33%
    average points one can win = 80/3 = 28.3
    winning an average of 28.3 points 33% of the time = 9.339

18 player tables:
    chance of finishing in the points = 4/18 = 22.2%
    average points one can win = 153/4 = 38.25
    winning an average of 38.25 points 22.2% of the time = 8.4915

27 player tables:
    chance of finishing in the points = 5/27 = 18.6%
    average points one can win = 216/5 = 43.2
    winning an average of 43.2 points 18.6% of the time = 8.0352

it seems that by going with the averages, the shorthand are better options. at the same time, i find it very difficult to think how someone playing only 6 handed games is going to beat out someone playing some 6, some 9, and some 18 player games. perhaps the best option is to mix it up and play a selection of all of them?
  • i would think the top few spots will be people who ran insanely hot and won a bunch of larger ones, but that the 6max players will have a majority of the spots in the top 100.

just my prediction.
  • And that's the thing with this process, everyone has ideas on how it's going to work, but no-one really knows. It will be interesting in a month to see how close everyone is.
  • Strategy to attempt to claim first place: Play the 27 man SnG and win within the first five. If you do, step down and play the 6maxes to fill out the rest of the 20. The large run early from the 27 should pad you out for the easier point path of 6's.

If you fail the first 5 27's then that block's pretty much dead anyway.
  • I emailed PS and it looks like the first 100 would qualify for both

Thank you for contacting us. You are eligible to enter both the High Orbit and Low Orbit Leader Boards. All you need to do is complete 20 Sit & Go's in the specific stakes bracket during the weekly qualification period to be eligible for the Low Orbit Leader Board, and 100 to be eligible for the High Orbit Leader Board. The initial 100 tournaments played of your week will count towards both the High, as well as the Low Orbit Leader Boards.