The penny. Who needs it?

Should we eliminate the penny in our currency? We'll pick this up tomorrow, as I am off to bed.

Comments

• I roll pennies with my grandma.....gives us something to do.
  • Could we argue the opposite?
    That prices and incomes need to be adjusted to continue to use something already in production to it's best end?

Seems easier to protect the penny than to create the $200 bill or whatever rising costs/wages etc would dictate...but what the hell do I know about this?
  • Argument for keeping the penny.

Creating sacks of change for beating is much less expensive using pennies as opposed to quarters or even nickels.
  • It would make grandma's Rumoli game alot more expensive :D
    or maybe no more 0.01/0.02 NL games lol

It does make cents to get rid of the penny though. Most people barely use them and they get horded, which means the mint must replace them at a cost to all taxpayers.

BTW, I got a good laugh from one guy that thought getting rid of the penny would cause prices if individual items to rise to the nearest nickel. Has the dude ever seen the price of gas? ;)
  • The Hand-out-the-window-mass-penny-drop.

I cant be the only one that does it.
  • I horde pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters all the time. Usually get a couple of hundred bucks worth by the end of the year...its what we use to get Christmas groceries with. The kind of stuff you don't normally buy, like eggnog, fruitcake, christmas candies, chocolates, etc.

Last Christmas, taking my rolls in, even the bank teller wasn't too interested in them though. Had to label each roll with my bank account information, just in case they were short, so they could deduct from my account.

Like the massive fees I"m paying now ain't enough reason for them to rip me off some more.
  • Why keep making the penny if it costs more to make it then its actually worth? It's a waste, jus get rid of it.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Could we argue the opposite?
    That prices and incomes need to be adjusted to continue to use something already in production to it's best end?

Seems easier to protect the penny than to create the $200 bill or whatever rising costs/wages etc would dictate...but what the hell do I know about this?

Very interesting point... I have never thought of that argument before.
  • I just distrust the whole round up/round down idea. Basically it'll take about two seconds for retailers to figure out where to set a given price point to ensure rounding up occurs EVERY TIME. Other than that, I say kill the worthless copper pocket jangler.

This is so much less stressful than Mark's gun thread. lol
  • Doesn't it cost like .02c to make one penny?

Ditch the friggin thing.
  • While that is true, it is more than balanced by the fact that the penny lasts for years. The biggest problem is the hoarding of small change. I'm looking at you AJ. lol
  • SAVE THE PENNY FROM EXTINCTION!!

The penny is NOT a worthless hunk of pretend copper...its got history! It has a right to co exist with other denominations of coinage. Why, without the penny, there'll be soooo much to dread...

First, a penny saved is a penny earned will have zero meaning...and saying a nickel saved is just too damn difficult...

Penny's have even been used to name PEOPLE!!! Penny Lane!!! Do you think she'll consider changing it to BUCK LANE?! I doubt it.

Penny's can be useful at home too...when you blow a fuse, simply pop one in its place until you get some new ones (okay, if you REALLY need to know, I would NOT promote this one too strongly)

The penny is gorgeous in its simplicity. Originally nothing more than an ugly rock in the ground, it now has a lovely pic of our national symbol...just ignore the old girl on the back.

And how much would a thought cost then? No longer a bargain if you have to pay more for it now, is it??

Without the penny, a pound WOULD be foolish!!

And bad penny's would NEVER come back

When you haggle over the price of car, you would no longer be allowed to say "not a penny more" ....FORCING you to go higher!

And without the penny, good luck would NEVER be found!!

Without penny, there would never been Laverne & Shirley! (oh wait, that's a positive, never mind)

JCPenny would go out of business, putting even more burden on the already stressed, cent less economy!

Even William Shakespeare would have to re written! A friend in the court would be better than NOTHING in the purse.

All the wishing wells would become useless, and unproductive eyesores. What would you do with a wish well anyway, if you couldn't find a penny to make a wish with?? Truly a sad day when wishes would suffer.

NO MORE PENNY LOAFERS!! OMG, what are the Milton Rocks gonna wear at the next Royal??

And the musical masterpiece "Pennies From Heaven" would be instantly deleted. Now wouldn't it be a shame to never see Steve Martin dance like that again?

Yes, even the stock market would suffer...no more Penny Stocks!! Now how can the average joe make a million honestly? Play poker?? Hardly!

Don't dismiss the penny so readily...it has a lot of responsibility in our world, and without it, we would all be at a loss.

SAVE THE PENNY!

<to donate to the SAVE THE PENNY fund, please transfer $50 to my PokerStars account...this money would then be used to defend the lowest denomination currency at the HIGHEST levels>
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    <to donate to the SAVE THE PENNY fund, please transfer $50 to my PokerStars account...this money would then be used to defend the lowest denomination currency at the HIGHEST levels>

.01/.02 Fixed Limit?
  • AJ, that was GOLD. Who dictated it? lol

You are hereby absolved of hoarding related accusations.
  • Why do we care if Americans eliminate the penny? We should be discussing the 1-cent coin. Personally the 1-cent coin is useless.
  • moose wrote: »
    Why do we care if Americans eliminate the penny? We should be discussing the 1-cent coin. Personally the 1-cent coin is useless.

oh alright then...simply replace all the times I used the word PENNY above with '1-cent coin'...see how that works for you.

Zeeee...Zed...what the hell, its still the last letter!!!