What do you do here?

first hand of a 4 person HE SnG

PokerStars Game #16476906526: Tournament #83439080, $5.00+$0.25 Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I, Level I (10/20) - 2008/04/04 - 09:01:12 (ET)
Table '83439080 1' 2-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: thathoser (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: Dude,be cool (1500 in chips)
thathoser: posts small blind 10
Dude,be cool: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to thathoser [4c 2s]
thathoser: calls 10
Dude,be cool: checks
*** FLOP *** [Ah 5c 5s]
thathoser: bets 20
Dude,be cool: calls 20
*** TURN *** [Ah 5c 5s] [8s]
thathoser: checks
*** RIVER *** [Ah 5c 5s 8s] [3d]
thathoser: bets 40
Dude,be cool: raises 120 to 160
thathoser: raises 200 to 360
Dude,be cool: raises 1100 to 1460 and is all-in
thathoser: calls 1100 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Dude,be cool: shows [5h 3s] (a full house, Fives full of Threes)
thathoser: shows [4c 2s] (a straight, Ace to Five)
Dude,be cool collected 3000 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3000 | Rake 0
Board [Ah 5c 5s 8s 3d]
Seat 1: thathoser (button) (small blind) showed [4c 2s] and lost with a straight, Ace to Five
Seat 2: Dude,be cool (big blind) showed [5h 3s] and won (3000) with a full house, Fives full of Threes

the 20 bet was just to see if this was the kind of player to fold to tiny bets on flops he didn't hit. Did I overplay the baby straight? when he raised on the river, I had him on 2 pair or a set.. any way I could have seen this coming or folded his big all-in?

Comments

• Though spot... a straight HU is always a damn good hand... but also the no raise PF could mean so many things...

85, A5 are possible hand that he wouldn't raise... maybe 33.

Though... first hand, blinds are low I'd foll the re-raise all in on a paired board. You'd still have plenty of chips to get him back... plus how do you feel about the tournament when you go broke, first hand, with 42o ?
  • I realize i've probably overvalued the hand. and I don't see it as going broke on 42o i see it as my straight losing to a boat..

though, I suppose my "it's only 10 chips" call from the sb caused the whole thing.
  • First of all, I fold pre-flop.... calling to protect your blinds on the first hand with 42os is kinda pointless IMO.

2nd, your opponent called your bet on a paired board when they just checked the flop. Which tells me they probably hit something, or have a pocket pair. On the river he check raised you. What is the point of shoving without the nuts? When he check raised you, I would have just called if you still thought your hand was good.
  • Graham wrote: »
    First of all, I fold pre-flop.... calling to protect your blinds on the first hand with 42os is kinda pointless IMO.

Fold Pre-flop.

Just call his re-raise to $160 on the river. You beat some 2 pair hands that will make this play so it The board is paired so getting it in is spew.
  • did you see the full house as a possibility? sometimes you get married to hands when the river brings the card your were hoping for on the expectation that your hand is now the made hand. Not considering what the actual best hands are realistically.

Reminds me of a time I hit trips on the river and the other guy had a gut shot. I raised, he went all-in and I called in an instant because I was so in love with the river card, not taking my time to fully consider the board. Its a little harder to do online with the clock ticking.
  • Easy Fold preflop. Gotta get a feel for the table first before you try to put moves on people, if you really wanted to get fancy with figuring out the player you have beside you, you could have raised to 80 and got the same information. He then folds 53 for you :)
  • Easy Fold preflop. Gotta get a feel for the table first before you try to put moves on people, if you really wanted to get fancy with figuring out the player you have beside you, you could have raised to 80 and got the same information. He then folds 53 for you :)

not likely, he flopped a set.

thanks though for all the input though guys, it's quite helpful
  • i am very suprise that many people say fold preflop.....
    you guy know this is HU tourny?

this is a passive/passive player, now u know how he play, go after him and take rest of his roll.
    the guy check all three street with strong hand, "FISH, FISH, FISH"

few advise for you, on HU tourny
    1. you have position advantage, raise any preflop.
    2. it's a cooler, not to worry about it. i think in HU tourny, without any information on that guy, just call that river bet is a mistake.
    3. river: since he check 3 street, and raise you twice: maniac don't check 3 street, villian is passive, you don't want to call his push.
    4. next hand history, take out the showdown. you'll get better advise this way.
  • Why would you label him a passive fish after that hand? His checks weren't because he didn't think he had the best hand.

Raising with position is important in a HU tourney, but that doesn't mean go crazy and raise every single hand
  • I call his checkraise on the river.

No, actually I do just what you did except I would have shoved his checkraise.
  • actyper wrote: »
    Why would you label him a passive fish after that hand? His checks weren't because he didn't think he had the best hand.

Raising with position is important in a HU tourney, but that doesn't mean go crazy and raise every single hand

why fish
    big hand, check, check, check..... HE CHECK ON 3 Street.
    he got lucky thathoser river that straight.

for HU Tourny
    my VPIP is 95% PRF 95%
  • for HU Tourny
    my VPIP is 95% PRF 95%
    Geesh, maybe I should be looking for you regularily to play heads up... 95% wow.... Methinks trap, trap, trap....
  • compuease wrote: »
    Geesh, maybe I should be looking for you regularily to play heads up... 95% wow.... Methinks trap, trap, trap....
    Do you play on FTP?
    i normally play $5, $6, $10 HU tourny
    let's have fun.
    or should i signup chanpoker?
  • lol if you have your opponent betting into you and you have him drawing dead, why are you a fish? Is it automatic these days to label somebody a fish if they don't play how you would?
  • actyper wrote: »
    lol if you have your opponent betting into you and you have him drawing dead, why are you a fish? Is it automatic these days to label somebody a fish if they don't play how you would?

when you have a big hand, you do want to get pay. NO?
    the turn went check, check......
    so, there is no betting into, and he check the river.
    what happen to sizing your bet, and setting it up for the river push??

SharkScope - The Largest Online Poker Tournament Results Database

the guy only play 156 HU and lost $1629.