5NL question

I recently started playing cash game after I donked away a 300$ bankroll to 9$ (yup... let's just say I learned the HARD way about BR management...)

Anyways... I decided to start at the lowest NL possible (5NL) on stars... so far it's going great I'm up to 33$ but I have a question... it happended 3 times now where I was over 15$ on the table I was playing on... when should I leave the table ? Should I fix myself an amount to avoid entering big pot just "cuz you can afford it" ?

Most people don't buy in for max.. usually it's around 2-3 bucks top.

Thanks!

Comments

• InsaneGuy wrote: »
    Should I fix myself an amount to avoid entering big pot just "cuz you can afford it" ?
    How about simply NOT doing stuff "cuz you can afford it". Think in terms of #BB instead of the dollar amount relative to your stack. And playing against short stacks always keep implied odds in mind to avoid -EV gambles. Write yourself a post-it note and stick it on top of your screen if you need to constantly remind yourself.

/g2
  • Standard low limit bankroll management is 20-25 buy ins for what ever level you are playing at. $5 X 20 is $100 so you are under rolled for your limit.

At $5NL you are probably ok with 7 buy ins for your roll but if I were you I would leave the table anytime you double up. $10 at this point represents 30% of your roll so get it off the table and open another one.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    Standard low limit bankroll management is 20-25 buy ins for what ever level you are playing at. $5 X 20 is $100 so you are under rolled for your limit.

At $5NL you are probably ok with 7 buy ins for your roll but if I were you I would leave the table anytime you double up. $10 at this point represents 30% of your roll so get it off the table and open another one.
    even if the table is fill with action?
    I recently started playing cash game after I donked away a 300$ bankroll to 9$ (yup... let's just say I learned the HARD way about BR management...)

Anyways... I decided to start at the lowest NL possible (5NL) on stars... so far it's going great I'm up to 33$ but I have a question... it happended 3 times now where I was over 15$ on the table I was playing on... when should I leave the table ? Should I fix myself an amount to avoid entering big pot just "cuz you can afford it" ?

Most people don't buy in for max.. usually it's around 2-3 bucks top.

Thanks!
    at 5NL, you probly not have to worry about much
    anytime you are 300BB deepstack.
    and there is another deepstack, i'll be extra careful, when he JUST call my raise.
    as for avoid entering big pot, you stick to 5/10 rule, and you still want to fold 23 sooted.
    Standard low limit bankroll management is 20-25 buy ins for what ever level you are playing at. $5 X 20 is $100 so you are under rolled for your limit.

Yeah I know sadly there's nothing lower than 0.01/0.02 and it's NOT hard to avoid losing alot if you're carefull.

I thought about that that I should make a rule of leaving when I double up but sometimes the table is so juicy that I feel I can make more money... is that risking more than I can win ?
  • at 5NL, you probly not have to worry about much
    anytime you are 300BB deepstack.
    and there is another deepstack, i'll be extra careful, when he JUST call my raise.
    as for avoid entering big pot, you stick to 5/10 rule, and you still want to fold 23 sooted.

Sitting with 30% of your roll on the table is just terrible bankroll management. Getting it in good in this situation and getting sucked out on a whopping 3 times and your busto. If you can't comprehend this I suggest you do some reading about variance.

Since OP already busted his roll to where he is under rolled for the smallest stakes offered and then posted this I would assume he is asking for sound advice.

Insane Guy - If you want to play poker it all starts with managing your roll. You can likely grind your way out of this spot but you need to protect your roll. The games are all juicy at 5NL!!!!
    Sitting with 30% of your roll on the table is just terrible bankroll management. Getting it in good in this situation and getting sucked out on a whopping 3 times and your busto. If you can't comprehend this I suggest you do some reading about variance.
    you know what
    since i'm a bankroll nit, 40BI is just to take a shot, 50BI i moveup
    so, i never though it this way.
    Yes putting 30% of roll on one table is pretty dangerous.

Since OP already busted his roll to where he is under rolled for the smallest stakes offered and then posted this I would assume he is asking for sound advice.

Insane Guy - If you want to play poker it all starts with managing your roll. You can likely grind your way out of this spot but you need to protect your roll. The games are all juicy at 5NL!!!!

Would I be better playing limit instead?
    I can't say I enjoy limit but if it's safer for my BR (which I agree with you that it IS dangerous even if table are soft).

I did got alot of bad bad beat today and lost 2 BI so I'm down to 20 or so...
    I could put money back in but for some reason I want to get out of the hole I digged myself in without using my credit card.
    Would I be better playing limit instead?
    I can't say I enjoy limit but if it's safer for my BR (which I agree with you that it IS dangerous even if table are soft).

I did got alot of bad bad beat today and lost 2 BI so I'm down to 20 or so...
    I could put money back in but for some reason I want to get out of the hole I digged myself in without using my credit card.

are you any good at limit game?
    if not, stick with NL
    the variance is higher for limit.
    you don't lose much, but set you on tilt easy, before you know it, you lose a bet here and there....it add up big time.
    now, you on life support, if you have to redeposit, you may want to consider move out poker stars to get some bonus and rakeback. which is a big bankroll builder.
    I hope everything went well for you. GL.