Need members help!

I played in 209 MTTS of Hold'um on Pokerstars and cashed in 58 for a 27.75% Rating. The average field size is 3,250 but i'm only up about $100 from my original deposit. This seems low to me for cashing in almost 1/3 of the time but maybe not because i never made any final tables. Any suggestions on how i might be able to improve on getting deeper into tournaments? :)

Comments

• You obviously don't need help with MTTs.

Perhaps if you play more aggressively later in the tournament, and take a few extra risks, you'll have more chips to get into the big money.

Have you read Harrington on Hold'em Vol 2? It's great for endgame play.
  • I had the same problem... cashing in many tournaments but failing to go deep in any of them giving me a crap ROI vs Time invested (cuz let's be frank on Stars to get to the money in non-turbo tourney takes at least 2-3 hours of work for a little revenu).

Like my post in the strategy section (Sng card dead) where I have trouble playing late game when you have to steal blinds to survive.. this is prolly what you face... you'll make more money making the final table in 1/4 of the tourney you csh than finish just in the money in 25% of the tourney you play...

Exemple of a couple low-buyins MTT :

Making the money in 200 tournaments (25% 2.5$ buyin, 25% 5$ buyins, 25% 3$ and 25% 1$)

Basicly just cashing in EVERY tournament would net you over 200 tourney : 336 profits (I calculated it over big tourney on stars... quick but it's close to reality)

Making over 50 tournaments the basic limits of the final table (finish 9 basicly) only 3 times over all those 50 (12 times over 200 tournaments) would net you 415 profits.

Of course you won't make 12 final table and you won't finish in the money 200/200 ... but make one final table + a couple late finsih + alot out of money WILL generate alot more money than making the money...

When people say play to win it's not just for the show it's a reality that the way they pay MTT (sng are different) you HAVE to go deep.

Plus... simply for the time invested it really sucks to play 2 hours on a 5$ tournament to bust in 500 position with a paycheck of 8.75$

But that's just me :P

(I suck at poker btw lol)
  • Do you needless change your game when the arbitrary payout levels come along? ie $1 level but the next bustout is $1.20?

I mean, unless you do the things that change your game in a MTT, it's kinda hard to give advice.

The best answer if you want to increase your ROI in a MTT is to win them.
  • Similar to what Johnnie said, I think you need to adjust your game in the later stages of the tournament. You seem to have no problem with the early stages, but are you playing the same style the whole way out? Also, are you maybe getting bored as the game goes on (therefore making plays that you wouldn't while your mind is fresh). Try to focus on how your play changes (or doesn't change) in the later stages. How are you usually getting knocked out near the end? All-in situations, or blinded away?
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    You obviously don't need help with MTTs.

Perhaps if you play more aggressively later in the tournament, and take a few extra risks, you'll have more chips to get into the big money.

Have you read Harrington on Hold'em Vol 2? It's great for endgame play.

I have Harrington on Hold'em Vol. 1 but can't say i read Vol. 2 yet but its now on my list Johnnie and i guess i have to take more extra risks. I.m sick and tired of getting sucked out by other players on the river on all-ins. Got knocked out of the Sunday Million after making the money when my Ad-Kd was beat by Ah-Qs as the last four cards were all spades to give him a flush. My last tournament my two pair were beating by a flush on the river after i made the money by out lasting over 20,000 players in the 100,000 K this Sunday past. OMG thats scary, I'm starting to sound like Phil Hellmuth " "If there weren't luck involved, I would win every time." ROFL.
    And InsaneGuy your right on the money with "Plus... simply for the time invested it really sucks to play 2 hours on a 5$ tournament to bust in 500 position with a paycheck of 8.75$".
    And BBC i.m trying my best to win one. The closest i came to a FT was when i was the chip leader with 90 players still in but 3 bad beats busted me out in 40th place. I'm getting knocked out near the end with all-in situations Graham, at least 55 of them and the other 3 i was blinded away.???
  • you've already played in the sunday millions with a 100 buy in?
    Not sure but that's a bit over your BR plus playing satellite is a good way to lose money fast...
  • InsaneGuy wrote: »
    you've already played in the sunday millions with a 100 buy in?
    Not sure but that's a bit over your BR plus playing satellite is a good way to lose money fast...
    I think he is referring to the Sunday 100K which is an $11. buyin and you can satellite into that with as little as 70 PSP's..
  • I've always found that I'm more successful in MTTs when I play a stronger middle game. The early part of those tournaments I tend to be conservative while we weed out the wacky players who can sometimes knock you out accidentally with bizarre plays...but once we're past that early frenzy, more aggressive play can set you up for a better stack down the stretch.

Of course, you still have to get the cards once in a while. ;)
  • compuease wrote: »
    I think he is referring to the Sunday 100K which is an $11. buyin and you can satellite into that with as little as 70 PSP's..

Never said how big my deposit or BR was and the buy in was for the Sunday Million and it was $200 + 15 not $100 & i played the 1000k 3 times and i was in the money one time in that.. But i ended the Sunday Million tournament (7349 players) in the money for $440.94 . So compuease i guess i;m just as insane as insaneguy. lol But my goal is to reach a FT in a major tournament without making another deposit. Never know were i can be found $1-$2-$3-$5 or the Sunday Million. :)