(possibly stupid) straddle question

was watching poker after dark the other day and i kept seeing eli elizra doing what was called a 'straddle'. i believe the blinds were $100-$200 and he'd put in $800 on a straddle (possibly without looking at his cards). can anyone tell me what exactly is a straddle?

also, while i'm asking the stupid questions, might as well make myself sound even more stupid...

what is a 'nit' also. i hear the term, but never knew what it was referring to exactly. i'm assuming it has something to do with being tight.

Comments

• A nit is super tight and does not like to gamble.
    If a nit raises you, get out of the way.

The straddle is a blind raise. If the blinds at 100/200, the UTG can put on a straddle of 400 and becomes that last to act preflop. This can go on down the table.
  • A straddle basically extends the blinds to the left.

I've seen a straddle go all the way around the table!
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    A straddle basically extends the blinds to the left.

I've seen a straddle go all the way around the table!

Unless Mark's at the table. :D
  • Straddling happens more in cash games. Some tournaments allow it as well, but most that I enter do not.
  • Straddling is an option (usually in cash games) where you voluntarily put money in UTG (or if someone else has straddled - the "NEW" UTG), in order to buy the Big Blind, act last preflop, putting money in without looking at your cards.. it's a horribly -ev move most times... and I rarely do it.

Yes, Screw you Hobbes! :)

Mark