Looking to make my first deposit on Stars

I'll end up with $100 ($50 deposit + 100%)..

I'm thinking $1 SNG's might be a good place to start since I like the 9 player 'play money' games...

Any other advice for me in terms of games I should be playing etc??

Comments

• zunni74 wrote: »
    I'm thinking $1 SNG's might be a good place to start since I like the 9 player 'play money' games...

You'd be better off playing the $5 SnGs...the bad beats in the $1s are just gross.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    You'd be better off playing the $5 SnGs...the bad beats in the $1s are just gross.

I'll watch a few of the $5 games and see which I feel more comfortable with.
  • I doubt you'll find the play much harder in the $5, and the rake on the $1 SNGs is twice as much (at least it was last time I looked)
  • Make sure you sign up through pokersourceonline.com for the extra bonus.

You can pm me if you haven't gone through them before and I can provide more info.
  • You likely need to clear some FPP's to get your bonus. So effectively you are playing on a $50 roll.

The $3.40's would give you almost a 15 BI cushion and should really be a great place to start. Move to $5.50's when you hit 80 bucks.

15BI should be a ton of cushion at these stakes. These play pretty formulaic. So start em tight and pushbot late.

Good luck
  • at this very small bankroll
    i think 27% on FTP is alot better then anything pokerstar have to offer
    FTP has deposite bonus too.
    if
  • at this very small bankroll
    i think 27% on FTP is alot better then anything pokerstar have to offer
    FTP has deposite bonus too.
    if you got no PT
    then cake 33% rakeback with deposite bonus are even better.
  • I was exactly where you were last week, and I've learned from my mistakes. Definitely play the $3.40 turbo sngs and build up your bankroll, then when you're feeling comfortable move up to the $6.50 ones.
    Pinhead is right, the softness seems to be pretty much the same at both these levels.
    I've been playing for about a week (maybe average 5 hours a day) and I have 486 FPPs.
  • jdAA88 wrote: »
    I was exactly where you were last week, and I've learned from my mistakes. Definitely play the $3.40 turbo sngs and build up your bankroll, then when you're feeling comfortable move up to the $6.50 ones.
    Pinhead is right, the softness seems to be pretty much the same at both these levels.
    I've been playing for about a week (maybe average 5 hours a day) and I have 486 FPPs.

So TAG play the way to go here?
    at those level
    weak tight is best option.
    Jam it when you have it, check fold when you don't have it.
    $1-$5 SNG, don't bluff
  • at those level
    weak tight is best option.
    Jam it when you have it, check fold when you don't have it.
    $1-$5 SNG, don't bluff

wrong wrong wrong

Watch this video if you have a chance:
    sng bankroll building challenge. - pokertube.com

I play like that and most of the time because of it find myself heads up...
    wrong wrong wrong

Care to provide me with some other advice?

Chuckie is generalizing ALL low limit tables. I find that the true donks are usually eliminated with the first two blind levels.

Every table is different. You must observe what is going on. Watch for betting patterns and put each player in a box of skill or non-skill. But be prepared to adapt when the blinds soar late in a tournament.

If you play weak tight, others observant players will see this and pick on you. Show a couple of good hands early to get respect. It IS possible to bluff, but you have to know your spots. Bluffing early and often will get you no respect, and lead to disaster.
    i did like to know too
    maybe that is why i'm not a winner at $5 & $10 SNG. I lost $145 after 410 games.....i can't beat that rake.
    JohnnieH wrote: »
    Chuckie is generalizing ALL low limit tables. I find that the true donks are usually eliminated with the first two blind levels.

Every table is different. You must observe what is going on. Watch for betting patterns and put each player in a box of skill or non-skill. But be prepared to adapt when the blinds soar late in a tournament.

If you play weak tight, others observant players will see this and pick on you. Show a couple of good hands early to get respect. It IS possible to bluff, but you have to know your spots. Bluffing early and often will get you no respect, and lead to disaster.
    yes, i'm gerneralizing it big time
    i guess it's personal exprience lead to difference.
    i'm a super rock when comes to tourment (maybe that is why i don't win)
    when you got a chance to get all money in preflop with AA or KK in mid or late stage
    don't be suprise that J5s called vs your AA
    or K8 called vs your KK
    you can search for my earliest thread...i cry, i cry, and i cry some more.
    but i haven't play any SNG in like 4 month.
    i play more HU SNG now.
    i'll fire up, and see if anything change.
  • when you got a chance to get all money in preflop with AA or KK in mid or late stage
    don't be suprise that J5s called vs your AA
    or K8 called vs your KK

I rarely see this happen unless one of the stacks has an M < 3.

I usually don't get paid with a premium hand late, because the blinds fold, and a limper will fold to a re-raise.

Chuckie- Try a $5 PokerStars non-turbo SnG. You might be surprised. If you want I'll play with you, just send me a PM.
    Chuckie- Try a $5 PokerStars non-turbo SnG. You might be surprised. If you want I'll play with you, just send me a PM.

Again forgive the ignorance but I'm assuming non-turbo games are less push/fold and allow for a little more play post-flop right?
    Again forgive the ignorance but I'm assuming non-turbo games are less push/fold and allow for a little more play post-flop right?

Correct. I prefer to play poker, not BINGO.

sngs are pretty much all about push/fold poker... the non turbos just take longer to get to that stage so they have a little more play but still very little post flop play. If you are looking for post flop play i suggest not playing sngs
    I rarely see this happen unless one of the stacks has an M < 3.

I usually don't get paid with a premium hand late, because the blinds fold, and a limper will fold to a re-raise.

i guess it's culture difference better FTP and PS
    this would make FTP SNG softer then PS
    i play non turbo SNG as well
    did really bad at 9 Players SNG
    sort of breakeven on 18 players SNG
    make money on 45 players SNG (my sweet spot)
    make tiny tiny profit on 90 player SNG.
    recent i try 2 player HU SNG. and been killing it
    but i haven't play any SNG except HU for 4 month.
    thing may have change.
    i have been working hard on my cash game
    and result were good, so i have no plan to sidetrack it.
    when i get more solid on my cash game, i'll start working on my tourny games.
  • Too soon to tell, but so far cashed in 2 of the 4 games I've entered at the $3.40 level.

*EDIT* make that 4 of the first 8.. Am up $20 :)
  • after looking at your thread
    i went and fire out some tournments
    $6.5 HU tournment-> kill it, easy money
    i take the money i won from HU tourny to signup 9 player non tubo $5.5 SNG.
    I got reminder why i don't play SNG any more.......
    burst out on the Bubble again.
    Blind level 100/200
    chip leader has hugh chip lead (luckbox, he play every hand)
    3 players (including me) are having smilliar stacked
    starting at JJ on BB
    CO, limp
    BTN raise to 600
    SB fold,
    I push allin with my JJ for 2100 total (i want push CO out, and try and take this down here, is this my mistake?)
    CO, Fold
    BTN SNAP CALL with K2 sooted
    WISH ME LUCK Torromow, i'm plyaing Free roll for WSOP ME package.