Fold or call?

It's early in the tournament and you don't know the players. The flop has come Q, J , 10 all hearts. You have the low straight with 8,9 no hearts and are only in the pot for 100 chips (start with and still have about 3,000). 3 other people in and they all have about the same chips as you.

First one raises 300.

Next guy goes all in.

It's on you. Do you call or fold?

Comments

• FOLD

You have the wrong end of a str8 with flush possibilities.
    It's early and you can find better spots when you learn something of your opponents.
  • Why is this a poll? Easy fold unless it's a rebuy then I call.
  • Definite fold
  • Guess it didn't need to be a poll.

I folded quickly and showed the table hoping that would intice him to show. I figured he had A or K of hearts at a minumum giving him 13 or 17 outs. In fact he had pocket rockets and one was the A of hearts.

I showed the table and 3 or 4 guys freaked out on me. Said they'd never fold that. I couldn't reason why unless they didn't really grasps the situation and odds. I guess that was indeed the case.

So I folded and stayed alive and went out in third that night with QQ to KK.
  • Stop asking for advice from Brantford players.

Mark
  • FOLD. There's a reason they call it the STUPID end of the straight. The flushy board is just a bonus flag to FOLD. Did I mention that I'd fold?
  • Easy fold... you'll get better chances to shove later.
  • See, IF you were Shawn Rice, from the Ultimate Crap Rip-off Tour, you would have called, and taken down the pot, and doubled up, cuz that's what all the great pros do...just ask him... Phil, on the other hand, would have folded, and the proceeded to tell you what a great laydown it was, and shown you his one of eleven bracelets from the WSOP...
  • Run to the Hills.
  • i guess i have to say fold too since everyone else did!
  • I showed the table and 3 or 4 guys freaked out on me. Said they'd never fold that. I couldn't reason why unless they didn't really grasps the situation and odds. I guess that was indeed the case.
    Could you please post the names of the players and where they play, who said they'd never fold that? Thanks!
  • Davis08 wrote: »
    i guess i have to say fold too since everyone else did!

Conformity...gotta love it ;)
  • Davis08 wrote: »
    i guess i have to say fold too since everyone else did!

CALL since everyone says fold!
  • IM-ON-TILT wrote: »
    CALL since everyone says fold!

Dude, you didn't vote... cast your ballot!
  • It's early in the tournament and you don't know the players. The flop has come Q, J , 10 all hearts. You have the low straight with 8,9 no hearts and are only in the pot for 100 chips (start with and still have about 3,000). 3 other people in and they all have about the same chips as you.

First one raises 300.

Next guy goes all in.

It's on you. Do you call or fold?
    One reason for folding that hasn't been mentioned is that your hand is not going to improve. It's the best it's gonna get right now.

From a math standpoint, there is a certain percentage of the time that you are beat here. And if you're beat now, you are drawing dead. If you are not beat, the best you can hope for is a bare-ass flush draw which will win 35% of the time. Against the Ah, he has 12 outs and you are only slightly better than a coin flip. Against the Kh, he has 15 outs and is actually ahead of you.

Add into this that there are 3 other active players in the hand and one has told you he likes his hand and another has told you he loves his hand.

Crunching the actual numbers might be too tough for this hand but I'm very certain this is a bad call in the long run.