Police Kill Cow

Anyone hear about this yesterday:

Edit, this link has a better video:
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_20808.aspx

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/348263

I think that is a little excessive use of foce IMO.

Comments

• It's not the number of shots fired, but the number that hit. With a typical police service pistol, I would guess that two would be sufficient to bring down an animal this size, IF they were placed accurately. No offence to our boys in blue, but they are not exactly marksmen. Pistols on their own are usually only REAL accurate to around 20m anyway. Outside that range, I'd be ducking behind a wall, if I were a bystander. A THICK wall.
  • Milo wrote: »
    It's not the number of shots fired, but the number that hit. With a typical police service pistol, I would guess that two would be sufficient to bring down an animal this size, IF they were placed accurately. No offence to our boys in blue, but they are not exactly marksmen. Pistols on their own are usually only REAL accurate to around 20m anyway. Outside that range, I'd be ducking behind a wall, if I were a bystander. A THICK wall.

Exactly... which brings up the greater question... what is a bigger safety issue, the cop firing off shots like rambo, or the mad cow... I have shot the glock (which I think is the gun used by the cops) and it is pretty accurate (though that was in a closed range), outside at a moving object would definitely be different. One guy in he star article said he hear bullets flying over his head near his garage... that sounds like a much bigger safety risk than a cow. What happened to the tasers ;)
  • Graham wrote: »
    Exactly... which brings up the greater question... what is a bigger safety issue, the cop firing off shots like rambo, or the mad cow... I have shot the glock (which I think is the gun used by the cops) and it is pretty accurate (though that was in a closed range), outside at a moving object would definitely be different. One guy in he star article said he hear bullets flying over his head near his garage... that sounds like a much bigger safety risk than a cow. What happened to the tasers ;)

Tasers actually could have been used, unless the cow was in such a state that you couldn't get near it at all. You have to be pretty close for a taser.

The guy who said he heard bullets flying over his garage is so full of shit it isn't funny. In order for that trajectory, the gun would have been fired from a laying down position, at about a 45 degree angle, and that wasn't going to happen. He's just trying to make it sound bad for the cop.

One bullet, properly placed, could bring down an animal that size in a second, however, pistols are NOT accurate to the point where the shooter can pinpoint the spot he needed to hit. Any shot to the vital area will still permit the animal to bolt for a short period of time before expiring. It would most likely take two or three shots from a pistol, at fairly close range, in the vital areas (heart, lung, liver) to bring it down quickly. And chances are it was a 38 revolver used, and not a glock semi.

In order to dispatch it quickly, they would have needed a large caliber rifle, with a scope, fired by a sharp shooter. This could have been available, the force has this kind of firepower and skill...but obviously someone didn't think they would need such a 'waste' of resources for a cow.

Intelligent or now, a cow is a large animal, and once it gets pissed off, can be a hell of a force of power. Next time, I hope they don't assume it isn't.

As far as the safety issue is concerned, the animal would have eventually found a spot to calm down enough to be handled properly. In my view, there was no need to treat it like that, and risk public safety. Just let it be, stay clear of it, and it will find greener pastures to graze in soon enough.
  • But AJ, if they do that, where will the steaks come from for the spring BBQ? Just sayin' . . .

And T.O. cops use the Glock, .40 cal I believe. Just like our boys here in Peel.
    But AJ, if they do that, where will the steaks come from for the spring BBQ? Just sayin' . . .

Lot more meat in the pasture, Milo.
  • Yeah, but they'd have to pay for that. This meat is "evidence". Now if only they had found a shroom operation. lol
    And T.O. cops use the Glock, .40 cal I believe. Just like our boys here in Peel.

Yep, thats the one I fired in Vegas... lots of fun!
  • I stand corrected then...good gun, but still not near enough fire power to drop a two tonne animal quickly.