Spot my HUGE mistake

I rolled my eyes in disbelief as soon as I did this.

Hint: It's not the minraise preflop; that was a misclick.

1p0kerboy is a 12/8 regular.

POKERSTARS GAME #15971524599: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($0.50/$1.00) - 2008/03/14 - 12:34:53 (ET)
Table 'Skadi II' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: lacourneuve ($203.25 in chips)
Seat 2: Verito ($66.95 in chips)
Seat 3: Hanni1981 ($103.50 in chips)
Seat 4: CybrPunk ($192.80 in chips)
Seat 5: LoneStargirl ($60.20 in chips)
Seat 6: kelly_kabob ($97.90 in chips)
Seat 7: 1p0kerboy ($100 in chips)
Seat 8: Enzoenzini ($142.45 in chips)
Seat 9: bjao ($204.55 in chips)
kelly_kabob: posts small blind $0.50
1p0kerboy: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to kelly_kabob [9s 9c]
Enzoenzini: folds
bjao: folds
lacourneuve: folds
Verito: folds
Hanni1981: folds
CybrPunk: folds
LoneStargirl: folds
kelly_kabob: raises $1 to $2
1p0kerboy: calls $1
*** FLOP *** [9h Ad Jc]
kelly_kabob: bets $2
1p0kerboy: calls $2
*** TURN *** [9h Ad Jc] [9d]
kelly_kabob: bets $4
1p0kerboy: calls $4
*** RIVER *** [9h Ad Jc 9d] [Ah]
kelly_kabob: bets $10
1p0kerboy: calls $10
*** SHOW DOWN ***
kelly_kabob: shows [9s 9c] (four of a kind, Nines)
1p0kerboy: mucks hand
kelly_kabob collected $34.25 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $36 | Rake $1.75
Board [9h Ad Jc 9d Ah]
Seat 1: lacourneuve folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Verito folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Hanni1981 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: CybrPunk folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: LoneStargirl (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: kelly_kabob (small blind) showed [9s 9c] and won ($34.25) with four of a kind, Nines
Seat 7: 1p0kerboy (big blind) mucked [Ac 6s]
Seat 8: Enzoenzini folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: bjao folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Comments

• 12:34:53 (ET)

Get a job.

What do I win?
  • My employer allows me to play at lunch.

You win nothing.
  • Not pushing the river -

nothing else is going to call
    he obviously doesnt have a nine
    and his jack is useless -

No way he lays down top boat, and you really cant see him calling with KJ
  • Wait, you want to push $100 into a pot of $10 dollars?
  • You need to check the turn/river. Get him to put more in the pot and then punish him.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Wait, you want to push $100 into a pot of $10 dollars?

Yes. Would you fold Ax here to a shove?
  • No, but everything else will.
  • Should have valued bet the river by shoving...hoping he had an ace...he would have paid you off.
  • Bet more on the flop which allows you to bet a bit more on the turn. If he had absolutely nothing odds are you were not winning any more anyways. If he has a pair you can build up the pot a bit easier.

River features the perfect silly shove any amount play and hope this guy is not one of the rare ones that would fold an ace. If the jack was lower then a 9 the odds of a fold from any ace is nearly zero, the jack on the board may scare off some (probably why I might/likely would fold an ace if facing $100+ bet in a $10 pot), but this situation is so rare you may as well shove and smile when A6 or whatever calls.
    No, but everything else will.

Would you rather try to win $5 thinking they have something else, or $100 putting them on Ax?
  • actyper wrote: »
    Would you rather try to win $5 thinking they have something else, or $100 putting them on Ax?

Only if:

Probability of ((him having (Ax) and calling) * $100) > Probability of ((him having something less and calling) * $10)

Villian called reasonable bets on every street. Maybe a draw or a small made hand.. or very unlikely a large made hand.. $10 seems like the right size to me give the bets from the previous street.

Hero should be lamenting that Villian is a passive twit, not that he should shove $100 into a $10 pot with the nuts.
  • I'd definitely shove the river at those limits. Bet more every street as well of course.
    Wait, you want to push $100 into a pot of $10 dollars?

Yes, and if he has an ace you get paid. <
    period
  • raise more preflop, bet more on flop and turn... shove river
    Only if:

Probability of ((him having (Ax) and calling) * $100) > Probability of ((him having something less and calling) * $10)

Villian called reasonable bets on every street. Maybe a draw or a small made hand.. or very unlikely a large made hand.. $10 seems like the right size to me give the bets from the previous street.

Hero should be lamenting that Villian is a passive twit, not that he should shove $100 into a $10 pot with the nuts.

If he was on a draw you don't get paid anyways. Any small pair you dont get paid anyways. The only small made hand is Jx. You'd have to be right about Jx 10x (- whatever times he decides to bluff out) vs one time right about Ax.
  • he call twice, he must have Ace
    and fullhouse is not gonna fold
    say 10% of him have that ace.
    10% of time you get pay $100
    90% of time you get pay nothing
    you win $100
    you bet $10
    you get pay 100% of the time
    that is only $100
    this is a no brianer
    he is gonna have that Ace more then 10% of the time.
    by the way, 12/8 regular call you with A6?
    what's your image?
    i though pokerstar should be as tough as fulltilt???
  • check on my blog for March 14
    i have similiar hand
    i have AX
    flop is AA33A
    i open shove on the river, he instacall with T7.
    that open shove looks like you try to cheat him out of split pot. 99.9% will call the push.
  • how come you didn't push the river anyway? i know that you know you should have! but why didn't you?
  • I think you played this right. $10 is good value bet and probably all he will call. he doesn't have an A. If he has Ace he is going to push to try to take the possible split pot away. Not many people on stars are going to just call the river when they river Aces full. He has J here, has to.
  • Davis08 wrote: »
    how come you didn't push the river anyway? i know that you know you should have! but why didn't you?

When the river came I just bet for value thinking, "He'll call this with an ace"

About 0.005 seconds after I hit the bet button I thought, "What am I doing? He'll call a lot more than that with an ace! Please raise! Please raise! Please raise! Please raise! Please raise! Please raise! Please raise! Please raise!"

But he only called...
  • Quimby wrote: »

Hint: It's not the minraise preflop; that was a misclick.

Hint: It is the misclick preflop. Followed closely by the flop and turn bets.

Raise a normal amount PF (~3x), then bet the pot on the flop and turn and suddenly the overbet shove on the river isn't that much of an overbet.