Bittorrent & routers

Hey all

So, I"ve bought a new wireless router in anticipation of my forthcoming laptop, and I've set it up on my current home desktop. As you can tell, the interweb is working but...

After installing the router, my bittorrent client stopped working (Azureus), I spent a few hours trying to setup port forwarding before switching to "utorrent", and had to do more finangling, still to no avail....

I was talking with my geek friend and he mentioned that he'd read somewhere that many popular torrent sites had actually stopped servicing Canadian users since our version of the RIAA has been all up in arms lately.... Anyone heard anything about this?

Mark

P.S. - or is anyone better at setting up port forwarding than I am?

P.P.S. - Rogers doesn't allow you to assign a static IP address (which seems to be a necessary thing)

Comments

• DrTyore wrote: »
    Hey all

I was talking with my geek friend and he mentioned that he'd read somewhere that many popular torrent sites had actually stopped servicing Canadian users since our version of the RIAA has been all up in arms lately.... Anyone heard anything about this?

Haven't heard of this. My uTorrent is working fine.

P.S. - or is anyone better at setting up port forwarding than I am?

P.P.S. - Rogers doesn't allow you to assign a static IP address (which seems to be a necessary thing)

The static IP is not necessary. You need to forward your uTorrent port to the IP address on your desktop (It will be different from the rogers assigned IP)

And don't use the default port as that may be the problem.
    I also enable encryption on the connection.
  • Basically, you need to figure out what range of ports your torrent client will use.. then you can go into your router and forward that range of ports to your machine.
    I was talking with my geek friend and he mentioned that he'd read somewhere that many popular torrent sites had actually stopped servicing Canadian users

Did you mean GREEK friend? (first off, racist ban plz) second, I've never heard of it either.

Oh good. I didn't say that. I'm glad I'm not your geek friend. Who is it then? Mario hahahahahahaahahahahaha
  • haha..

No.. not quite... It's my ex-roomie from university Alex

Oh well.. will probably just ignore it because once the laptop gets here, I won't be using the desktop

Mark
  • There is also the possibility of ISPs limiting or otherwise manipulating P2P bandwidth. Don't know how up to date this is, but the following has lots of information on both the problem, and possible workarounds: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs#fn_2
  • Are you with sympatico Mark?? and what site are you using for your torrents?
  • Rogers

ISOhunt/mininova

Mark
  • i dont know about iso hunt, but mininova is working great for me....
    i'm on Teksavvy (no "bandwidth shaping" or anything, and a 200 gb cap) and it's been great for me....i dont know much about cable internet tho...
    Rogers

ISOhunt/mininova

Mark

Dude, I'll hook you up it's a very simple process and the posts are pretty much bang on, we just need to setup port forwarding on your router and turn off UPnP!!!!

UPnP will allow applications to open ports as needed but can cause freeze ups when these ports are not released properly.

A static port forward is the best way and a static IP is a good idea if you ever think you'll have more than one device hooking up to the router. If you use DHCP to assign ip's you risk the chance your laptop will get a different ip address and then the forwarding will cease to work.

There's also a max open tcp connection setting in XP that needs to be opened wider, by default it's set to 10. I can hook you up brother, a little tweaking and you'll be whoring from the net in no time!

I am averaging around 56 Kb/s on my Rogers Highspeed Express account.

I can even walk you through on the phone setting it up so I can make the changes for you from my house.

p.s. I work for beer...and oh, the ISP's were filtering packets and blocking torrent downloads(and likely still are) but all clients now allow you to encrypt the packets making it almost impossible for the ISP to detect the traffic as torrent traffic...again another setting you have to make sure you have on.
  • Much Appreciated E!

I'll give ya a shout and we'll figure out a free night for the two of us!

Mark
  • Big E wrote: »
    the ISP's were filtering packets and blocking torrent downloads(and likely still are) but all clients now allow you to encrypt the packets making it almost impossible for the ISP to detect the traffic as torrent traffic...again another setting you have to make sure you have on.
    I know a guy in the industry and ISPs can still tell it's torrent traffic even if it's encrypted. Maybe not every individual packet... but any user constantly dl'ing at a certain rate obv isn't just surfing the net or sending email. So there's no point encrypting it.

/g2
    Dude, I'll hook you up it's a very simple process and the posts are pretty much bang on, we just need to setup port forwarding on your router and turn of UPnP!!!!

UPnP will allow applications to open ports as needed but can cause freeze ups when these ports are not released properly.

A static port forward is the best way and a static IP is a good idea if you ever think you'll have more than one device hooking up to the router. If you use DHCP to assign ip's you risk the chance your laptop will get a different ip address and then the forwarding will cease to work.

There's also a max open tcp connection setting in XP that needs to be opened wider, by default it's set to 10. I can hook you up brother, a little tweaking and you'll be whoring from the net in no time!

I am averaging around 56 Kb/s on my Rogers Highspeed Express account.

I can even walk you through on the phone setting it up so I can make the changes for you from my house.

p.s. I work for beer...and oh, the ISP's were filtering packets and blocking torrent downloads(and likely still are) but all clients now allow you to encrypt the packets making it almost impossible for the ISP to detect the traffic as torrent traffic...again another setting you have to make sure you have on.

I think I figured out who your geeky friend is! :D
  • g2 wrote: »
    I know a guy in the industry and ISPs can still tell it's torrent traffic even if it's encrypted. Maybe not every individual packet... but any user constantly dl'ing at a certain rate obv isn't just surfing the net or sending email. So there's no point encrypting it.

/g2

This is not exactly true Greg, they can obviously tell you are d/l'ing because of the monthly volume or rather they can take a guess....but they cannot stop you. They did have filters in place actually stopping torrent traffic and to get past those you have to encrypt the data (at least Rogers was doing this at one time so I heard). When the packet is encrypted they have no way of telling what type of data is in the packet so although they can guess that you are d/ling they cannot prove it. As long as you stay under your monthly limit there is jack they can do (with my account it's 60GB which is tons not that I download torrents I just am in IT so I'm a geek).

There are other services or things people could be doing that could generate high monthly data transfer volumes....but I think 90% of the population is d/ling torrents.

:)
    This is not exactly true Greg, they can obviously tell you are d/l'ing because of the monthly volume or rather they can take a guess....but they cannot stop you. They did have filters in place actually stopping torrent traffic and to get past those you have to encrypt the data (at least Rogers was doing this at one time so I heard). When the packet is encrypted they have no way of telling what type of data is in the packet so although they can guess that you are d/ling they cannot prove it. As long as you stay under your monthly limit there is jack they can do (with my account it's 60GB which is tons not that I download torrents I just am in IT so I'm a geek).

There are other services or things people could be doing that could generate high monthly data transfer volumes....but I think 90% of the population is d/ling torrents.

:)
    My guy on the inside actually works for a company that provides services to ISPs, not for an ISP itself, and he basically laughed at the idea of not being able to tell what the data is when it's encrypted... it was the first question that was asked after his presentation.

And I agree, I never said they could stop you, just that they can tell.

/g2