So I Bought A Wii....

After wanting one of these for so long, I decided to go out and get one. After all, how could I give one away, if I didn't at least have one myself.

Anyway, since the weather was awful on Friday, Greg came over and we tested it out. After continuously destroying him at tennis, then hitting back to back home runs in baseball, I realized, wow this thing is fun.

No wonder the wii is so hard to get. I had to drive through the blizzard on Friday to a Future Shop that told me they had 2 left and couldn't hold it. I got there to see a sign that they were all sold out! After walking to the car in defeat I figured, lets give it a shot and talk to a salesperson to see if they are hiding them somewhere. I went back in, and it just so happened that he had 1 in the back!

I think I am gonna have to pick up the new game coming out today and give that a go.

Anyone got a Wii? Reccommend any good games?

Comments

• Depends on the types of games you like...i've had a wii for a while, and love it!
    i have Zelda, and as far as questing games goes, it's an instant classic. I also have super mario galaxy, and it is a really well designed really fun game. And for a more classic arcade feel / shoot em up, i have medal of honor vangaurd. Really really solid game..the Death Match is well designed and the chapter/story line is fun as well...
    oh, and i rented tiger woods golf 2007...it's like having multiple 18 hole golf courses in your living room....

Have fun!!
  • Thanks Quaine,

I'll give some of those a go... any hardware you recommend getting? I got a 2nd controll/nunchuck. Anything else you'd recommend? Have you played that Guitar Hero game? Is it any good?
  • Best Wii Sports game: MLB Power Pros baseball

Best Wii Game overall : Super Mario Galaxy

Great Wii Games:
    Guitar Hero 3
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl
    Resident Evil 4
    No More Heroes..

As someone said.. it all depends on your preferences.

Mark
  • nice try graham......once the beer kicked in i was unable to continue beating you....also u need too work on your backhand you hit like a 12 year old girl.
  • Make sure u keep the strap on the controller.....I threw one of those babies thru my buddies TV while playing Wii bowling ( dont ask ). I'm boycotting Wii and sticking to my 360.
  • schabs wrote: »
    Make sure u keep the strap on the controller.....I threw one of those babies thru my buddies TV while playing Wii bowling ( dont ask ). I'm boycotting Wii and sticking to my 360.

I second the wrist strap warning. My 5 year old threw the wii mote at our 61" TV while bowling (accidently of course). I watched the whole process and it seemed to go in slow motion and my heart was sinking fast. Luckily it hit the corner and no damage was done.

Some upgrades to consider:

Wireless sensor bar - gives you more range, but uses batteries like there's no tomorrow, especially if you forget to turn it off when not in use

Remote Charging station - save on batteries in the long run, I got one that plugs right into the USB port on the WII and can charge two at once

Classic controller - for those days you are feeling nostalgic and want to play the orginal Super Mario's (you will need to buy WII points in order to download it to your WII)

The Zapper - great for games like Medal of Honor and Resident Evil, comes with Links Crossbow Training, neat little game to get you used to the Zapper
  • Just in case you haven't seen this site, it documents Wii-related damage to TVs, windows, humans, etc:

http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com

Mike
  • BrennerM wrote: »
    Just in case you haven't seen this site, it documents Wii-related damage to TVs, windows, humans, etc:

http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com

Mike

LOL...great site... I'll do my best to be careful with it!

Thanks everyone for all the feedback, will definitely look into getting some of those games.
  • If you are going to pick up any game it has to be Smash Bros. One of the funniset games to come out so far.
  • Install a mod-chip. I got mine done by a guy on redflagdeals.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Install a mod-chip. I got mine done by a guy on redflagdeals.

How much was it? Any risks of doing this? I have always stayed away from modding systems because they are so expensive that I don't want to screw it up, but with the Wii I am thinking about trying it to get the cheap games :)
  • i think the wii is the worst console ever unless it involves drinking or you are under the age of 12
  • Davis08 wrote: »
    i think the wii is the worst console ever unless it involves drinking or you are under the age of 12

You obv haven't done prop betting on wii tennis ;)
  • i did it with negreanu and my good buddy lindgren.. not
  • Davis08 wrote: »
    i think the wii is the worst console ever unless it involves drinking or you are under the age of 12

graphics fanboy ;)

Mark
  • i think the wii is the worst console ever unless it involves drinking or you are under the age of 12

100% agreement.
    How much was it? Any risks of doing this?

60 bucks for a WiiKey solution, it's not a terribly difficult solder job for someone who has done it a ton of times like these guys on RFD do. The risk of being banned online is next to zero because Nintendo is so stupid when it comes to online play, they'll never figure out how to get it to work. Theres a slight risk of bricking your Wii if you 1) use a PAL version of a game or 2) Download the latest and greatest game the nanosecond it comes out and it lands up containing some snafu that the coders need to work around..

Friend codes? 2008? F-off.
  • Got a chip in mine, never had a game I couldn't play yet. I know they tried to make Galaxy and Smash Bros non friendly, but easy solutions to play them. Just go with that guy from rfd, drop it off in concord, go to futureshop for like 20min, go back and its ready. He can also put in a switch with deactivates the mod chip at any time.
  • with a chip, can you rent a game and make a copy instead of d/ling from the net?
    You know..hypothetically...cuz i'd never break the law like that...
    a friend of mine wants to know.....
    i know a guy who know's a guy who has a wii......
    ahh!
  • I know they tried to make Galaxy and Smash Bros non friendly, but easy solutions to play them.

Grumble Grumble.. 'Error #001: Unauthorized hardware detected' on smash brothers.. Of course no internet means no fix for me last night..
  • Wouldn't play my original as well. Had to dump it, and burn it on a DL disc. It then upgraded my wii firmware and has so far worked fine.
  • Just might have to do this mod chip... thinking hard about this one... whats the RFD guy's username?
  • actyper wrote: »
    djxp,

Yup, thats him.