Protect Your Pin!!!

I just got a phone call from my bank, questioning activity made earlier this morning on my bank accounts.

Seems like I have fallen victim to my debit card being compromised. Almost every cent I had is GONE!! And from what they have discovered thus far, from a bank machine in Montreal.

I just spent the last half an hour on the phone with my bank arrange to cover my mortgage payment due tonight, but that's all I had left in all my accounts, my overdraft, and my line of credit to get that covered. And although I have been reassured that I WILL get my money back, it will be in 5 to 7 business days after they have done an investigation. Meanwhile, I'm living on my poker cash bankroll, which thankfully, has seen a nice upswing in the last two weeks.

I give credit to the bank for contacting me about this. My paycheque was deposited last night, and I hadn't used my bank card as of yet, and since that deposit they took almost every thing I had in my accounts. All this because somewhere I wasn't prudent enough to guard my PIN when using my debit card.

I LIVE off my debit card. I rarely carry cash in any real amounts, and although I have had to get new cards several times over the past years, I have never been cleaned out until now.

Thought I would just hand out warnings to everyone...GUARD YOUR PIN!! I barely had enough assets to cover my mortgage, and the next few days would have been almost impossible if not for my cash game winnings recently.

Comments

• and how do they know it was your fault and that you card wasn't skinned?
  • Which bank? Kudos for them calling you!
  • Were you at a ski lodge in Montreal? A buddy I work with had the same thing happen to him after getting back from a ski trip in Montreal.

His bank, forget which one, called him up to. He did get everything back but like you said, took about a week.
  • Moose, they called me to question the transactions, so they obvious thought it was suspicious enough to call me at work. Thank God too, because had I used the card before that happened, I would have been screwed royally. Kudos to TD CanadaTrust Fraud line for their quick action.

Last time I was in Montreal was when my parents and I took my daughter to Newfoundland summer of '05. Never even stopped, just drove straight through both ways. And since I only had my card last Christmas, I know for a fact that it was copied since then locally.

Good news, actually...just got back from the bank, and as of right now, I MAY see my money back into my account as soon as end of business today!!! Seems like I'm not the ONLY victim recently.
  • I dont think you realise how lucky you are AJ.. it's only recently (say year+) that banks committed to provide the same level of customer protection to interac as they do with credit cards.

P.S. I still hold out hope that you are actually scamming the bank and plan to play big stakes NL online.
  • isn't there a daily limit on your card so only so much can be taken out within a 24 hour period? if not, look into it. I have a $500 limit per 24 hour period. Another good idea is to get a separate credit card for online use with a low limit. Any purchase over $500 I use my gold card.

Ever since interact came out at retailers, I have probably used it once or twice (years ago). I'm too paranoid of this happening. Real pain in the ass.

btw, also review your credit rating to make sure if your mortgage payment is missed, it doesn't appear on your credit history. This happens all the time.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    P.S. I still hold out hope that you are actually scamming the bank and plan to play big stakes NL online.

Okay, BUSTED! You're right, that was my plan all along. Actually, the original plan was to try to defraud PokerStars, but their security was WAYYYYY too tight, so I thought the banks would be easier ;)
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    isn't there a daily limit on your card so only so much can be taken out within a 24 hour period? if not, look into it. I have a $500 limit per 24 hour period. Another good idea is to get a separate credit card for online use with a low limit. Any purchase over $500 I use my gold card.

Ever since interact came out at retailers, I have probably used it once or twice (years ago). I'm too paranoid of this happening. Real pain in the ass.

btw, also review your credit rating to make sure if your mortgage payment is missed, it doesn't appear on your credit history. This happens all the time.

There is daily limit, but mine is like $2000 or something, max $5000 a week. The withdrawals were made just below what the banks called suspicious ($480 at a time) until they took all they could.
  • I got a call on Christmas eve 2004 (which was a Friday) that my card had been compromised and that they wanted me to come into the bank to verify the transactions and get a new card.

They called me at noon and the bank closed at 2 pm that day and was not going to be open until the 28th because of the holidays.

Lucky for me nothing was wrong and I was able to get there before they closed or I would have been screwed.
  • I've had to change my card four times in the last year, but this was the first time any actual funds were removed from my account. The bank (at least TDCT) machines now give you the option to change you PIN regularly. Might be a good idea to change it once a month.
  • 4 times in 1 year is a lot.

Might be time to think about the places you use your card regularly...
  • Oh believe me, I am. Since I only got the last card around Christmas, I'm going to print off all transactions and work through them one at a time, just to see where it was that COULD have the original place. May never know for sure, but I can guarantee a place or two won't be getting any more of my business.

Just wish there was some way you get the actual bastard responsible and put him/her to pay. Chances are they will get away with this, and won't ever be caught. The b.s. I've had to go through today has NOT been fun, and I can't help but feel violated. Just want the bastard in front of me for 10 mins.

All the time I need to skin him alive and crucify him on the front yard.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    There is daily limit, but mine is like $2000 or something, max $5000 a week. The withdrawals were made just below what the banks called suspicious ($480 at a time) until they took all they could.

My bank actually contacted me advising me to lower my daily limit on my card since I hardly ever used it anyways. So I hade mine set at $400.
  • Do you use it at any gas stations?

Eleanor’s dad used his card at only one gas station and no where else and it got compromised as well. He knew where because he only used it to buy gas at one specific station. BTW this was in Brampton.
  • the Banks can easily trace the location by cross checking the comprimised cards with where they are used in the last couple of months. Should be able to figure it out with two cards comprimised in the same location.
  • Yes, I get gas in Brampton as well, mostly just one location.

It shouldn't be difficult to find out where they came from for the banks...the hard part is the organization who are spearheading it I guess.
  • That sucks man... but at least you'll get your money back...
    I know it won't happend to me since I'm broke lol
  • InsaneGuy wrote: »
    That sucks man... but at least you'll get your money back...
    I know it won't happend to me since I'm broke lol

I'm the LAST guy anyone would want to steal from, mainly because I normally don't have a lot to take ;) My pay gets direct deposit every Friday morning, and somehow these guys must have known when the best time would have been.

It can happen to anyone.
  • I'm always in the negative...

pay comes in.
    pay comes out.

pay comes in
    pay comes out.

and even sometimes when pay comes in it just overwrite the old debt so it's sctually at like... 3,45$
  • lol. ripped off by an 'attendant in a brampton gas station'. that's a code, right?

i've worked at a number of the banks and payment processors over the years. i've only ever used my debit card at a bank atm (and you can even get ripped off at them if you aren't careful.) there's a good reason for that.

a few years back, lots of places didn't take credit. i would carry cash rather than ever use my debit card, especially suspicious looking mom & pop stores in 'brampton'. but mostly, i would use my credit card where ever i could.

now with pretty much every place taking credit, i can't see much reason to ever use debit. soon enough there will be smart debit cards which are virtually impossible (so far) to rip off. unless they come up with a compelling reason to use debit over credit, i still won't be using it.
  • UPDATE!

100% of all funds stolen have been returned to my accounts as of late last night. Thanks to TDCanadaTrust for not only their prompt notification of potential/apparent illegal activity, but also for assisting me in ensuring my mortgage payment was made on time, and for their genuine concern and understanding. The fact that the funds were returned promptly is also appreciated. Glad I didn't have to wait the 5 to 7 days for an investigation!!!
  • Glad to see a positive resolution AJ, especially when dealing with one of the big banks.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Glad to see a positive resolution AJ, especially when dealing with one of the big banks.

Before TD and CanadaTrust merged, I had transferred ALL my banking from TD to CT, mostly due to the uncooperativeness of TD at the time. CT was always very good at treating me and my needs very well in comparison. When they merged, I feared the level of service would deteriorate to what I had experienced with TD before. I'm VERY glad to see they took the BEST of what CT offered in areas of customer service and are promoting it well.

All in all, a valuable learning experience.
  • I deal with a Credit Union. Great service, all the features of a bank that I need, and they pay me to deal with them. Plus, fees total $6.00 a month.
  • Its good to hear you got your money back.

I'm lucky for the amount of time that I use my debit card that I haven't had a problem yet. Seems like I should be a little more careful where I use it.
  • I recently did an RRSP withdrawl for the place I bought.. got the cheque and deposited it in the green machine (TD).

I got a call from the fraud department asking me if the deposit was legit. I was like "hey, if money is coming into the account, don't concern yourself with fraud" ;)
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    I recently did an RRSP withdrawl for the place I bought.. got the cheque and deposited it in the green machine (TD).

I got a call from the fraud department asking me if the deposit was legit. I was like "hey, if money is coming into the account, don't concern yourself with fraud" ;)

That's cause it's another way to get money from you. Since many don't have "holds" put on deposits, the thief can make a deposit into your account and then drain the fictious money out along with your real money.
  • Bah, yer thinking too long term Hobbes ;)