Should the F-Word be converted to ****?

Since the wording on the other poll was a little more vague than what the issue was, I am creating a new poll with the actual question. Majority rules, the poll will be open for 7 days.

Vote now!

Comments

• **** no! :)

I'm a pain aren't I?

Mark
    EDIT: HEY!!! NO FAIR!!
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    **** no! :)

I'm a pain aren't I?

Mark
    Lol, split personality?
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    **** no! :)

I'm a pain aren't I?

Mark

Yes you are! ;) j/k

Keep the votes coming!
  • I love that word, helps me release my anger and aggression.
  • If someone uses the word to attack someone else, action should be taken by the mods. Other than that, it's just a word.

RESPECT FOR EVERYONE!
  • I'm not sure who the original moderator was on this site when I first joined, but they kept a very low profile, dropped the hammer as they saw fit and made the rules to live by. This seemed to work very well and making this a democracy will not get you anywhere. Do what you think is best for the site and move on. You try to accomodate everyone and it will get you no where. Personally, I'm getting sick of all these threads filling up the site.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I'm not sure who the original moderator was on this site when I first joined, but they kept a very low profile, dropped the hammer as they saw fit and made the rules to live by. This seemed to work very well and making this a democracy will not get you anywhere. Do what you think is best for the site and move on. You try to accomodate everyone and it will get you no where. Personally, I'm getting sick of all these threads filling up the site.

Dec 05...I'm not sure if ScottyZ was still around back then. If not then it would've just me and Devin.
  • i'm liking jimmy's line here. the poll is misguided. YOU decide how you want the forum to run and give the mods support when they have to make tough decisions. everyone else can decide if they want to be a part of your brave new world or move on to another one.

putting in a filter accomplishes nothing as kristy has ably pointed out. there are way too many ways around it. besides, i'm curious if being called a 'stupid ****' make you feel any better?

i think excessive swearing should be curtailed. snowflake (or cupcake as i affectionately call him) makes a very sensible point. i'm not offended by an occasional swear word but if it is every other word or even 4 or 5 times in a post, it definitely says something about the poster. and yes, i do swear a lot myself but i try to avoid it in a room full of strangers and i will try to avoid it here in the future.

however, the odd **** once in a while sometimes really sums things up. i think 'excessive use' is the problem. i would leave the definition of excessive up to the discretion of the mods. or just outright ban the use of swearing AND enforce it. i have no issue if a mod wants to edit a post, delete it, issue a warning or ban or if the filter cleans this up.

however, personal attacks, provoked or not, damage the forum. it doesn't matter to me whether these contain swear words or not. yes, i have been guilty of this in the past but i am trying to control myself...
  • If you're old enough to play poker, you're old enough to deal with curse words, insults, whatever. If you're too sensitive to certain issues, then go play bridge. That is my opinion on censorship, insults, and whatever drama is going on.

Some people say they don't visit 2+2 or p5 because of all the childish blah, but those are still the 2 most populated forums. If people want info about poker in canada, canadians playing poker, they will come here (or should).
  • Dear Graham,

I have a ton of respect for your efforts to make this a better place. With that being said, please grow a sack and stop being a pussy. When you get all wishy washy after you have made a decision it makes you look weak and you will become a target. Issues like this only grow legs when you give them opportunity.

It is your house here and no one worth their salt is going leave this forum forever because they can't post the F word. People will debate the issue and they definately have beat this one to death but, no one really cares that deeply about it other than Kristy (and we all know that this is not the real issue in her case anyway).

You can't please all of the people all of the time. Do your best, make good decsions, close the book and move on.

Sincerely,

Caddy

P.S. here is my mental image of you right now:

halp-marshmallows.jpg
  • actyper wrote: »
    If you're old enough to play poker, you're old enough to deal with curse words, insults, whatever. If you're too sensitive to certain issues, then go play bridge. That is my opinion on censorship, insults, and whatever drama is going on.
    on the poker tables, agreed. although, in person, you are quite likely to get a punch in the mouth when you behave like an asshole. so most people try to behave themselves when they face immediate consequences.

in an intelligent discussion, no way. that's what i think we are trying to do here? imagine if kennedy said to khrushchev "you get those ****ing missiles out of mother****ing cuba NOW you god****ed ****sucker". something may be lost in the translation.

so i don't buy your argument. and look, i could refute it without attacking you!
  • I guess theres an "excessive" clause to my statement. Bottom line, fighting over the net is gay, trying to police it is just as gay.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    I have a ton of respect for your efforts to make this a better place. With that being said, please grow a sack and stop being a pussy. When you get all wishy washy after you have made a decision it makes you look weak and you will become a target. Issues like this only grow legs when you give them opportunity

Hey Caddy,

I agree with what your saying... the problem here was what started off as an issue here with someone attacking someone else, has somehow escalated into a completely new issue. This whole censoring thing really does not matter to me one way or another, like many other members in this thread I could go either way. Since I really don't care about this issue and there seem to be some members that think is an extremely important issue, I figured I would let it go to a vote and let you guys decide. I am not voting, because I DONT CARE.

The only things I do care about is when certain members constantly troll threads looking to provoke a fight. If thats the only reason someone is coming to this forum, I will have no other choice but to take action.

Frankly I think banning someone is the dumbest thing in the world, but some people seem to get pleasure out of ruining things for other people. Trying to reason with an unreasonable person is extremely difficult and in this case was impossible. The whole filter only went in to cool things off for a while, and it seemed like originally most members were for it. And like I said earlier, since I didn't care I went with the majority.

So in closing... the things I do care for and will not stand is trolling threads to provoke and start fights with other members... the rest of the rules (if any) are up to you guys.. oh yea, and spammers.... I will hunt you down!

This will be the last of these threads for a long time... let's get back to poker, and cheer Watts on!
  • Of course it should be astrixed. and if it used in a abusive manor, moderators should have the power to delete the post, and admin should have the power to ban the offenders if done to many times.

Of course if it's in the context of 'Oh ****, I've just been outdrawn again' then the post should be allowed to stay.

Of course I'm British and we are sensitive to this sort of use of the English Language, but I have already seen one UK Poker forum shut down due to this sort of language, the last thing I'm sure any of you want to happen here.

One other point, would you use curse at you Mum, your Boss or complete stangers? Of course you wouldn't, so why do Grown men and women fell the need to do it in a forum?

Just my 2 cents worth
  • 24ginger wrote: »
    One other point, would you use curse at you Mum

Why would I curse at a flower. They need love and kindness to grow.
  • I stick by my "F.uck that"

Mark
  • I think the #1 piece of irony for me in all of this is that when I read the posts where the the asterisks show up, I still read the word F.U.C.K, and if anything it gives MORE power to the word then it did before the filter.

Just my $0.02

Al
  • I voted for Obama.
  • I'm no expert but if you allow it won't it negatively affect your search engine placement? You might be seen as an adult site by the search engines. I don't know. I would probably filter it to be on the safe side. After all, we all know what you mean anyway. Don't have to actually read it.
  • I've got the odd extra toonie for Beanies swear jar...lets have at it....
  • I've done my best to read every post on this subject in this thread and the previous. Here's hoping I haven't missed such an idea already bastardized...

It appears the filter technology available here is insufficient. There's a game I've been playing (not poker) with a Mature Language filter that can be toggled at the user's discretion. I believe it's on by default and can be changed in the equivalent of a User CP. Those who enjoy viewing random symbols (all asterisks are kind of boring) can have their fill. Those who wish to use the English language to it's fullest are welcome to it. Those deemed to be blatantly attempting to circumvent said Mature Language filter should be moderated?

lit

p.s. whoever wants to take All_asterisks as their new handle is welcome to it.
  • literation wrote: »
    I've done my best to read every post on this subject in this thread and the previous. Here's hoping I haven't missed such an idea already bastardized...

It appears the filter technology available here is insufficient. There's a game I've been playing (not poker) with a Mature Language filter that can be toggled at the user's discretion. I believe it's on by default and can be changed in the equivalent of a User CP. Those who enjoy viewing random symbols (all asterisks are kind of boring) can have their fill. Those who wish to use the English language to it's fullest are welcome to it. Those deemed to be blatantly attempting to circumvent said Mature Language filter should be moderated?

lit

p.s. whoever wants to take All_asterisks as their new handle is welcome to it.

Wow... you may be on to something here... will look into it... that way each person can select their own filtering and everyone wins!
  • bump, censorship is wrong
  • I don't care about the F-word, but since I frequent this forum at work much more often than I should, I'd appreciate it if people could put "NSFW" in thread titles that, well, could cost me my job. For example, the pic of some chick sucking a dildo on a cake in front of children... I didn't really want my boss to see that.
  • iNano78 wrote: »
    I don't care about the F-word, but since I frequent this forum at work much more often than I should, I'd appreciate it if people could put "NSFW" in thread titles that, well, could cost me my job. For example, the pic of some chick sucking a dildo on a cake in front of children... I didn't really want my boss to see that.

+1. Doesn't really matter to me as I'm currently funemployed (cannot remember who posted that but I love it) but it's definitely something others have to worry about... wait, screw that! If you're looking at a poker forum while you're supposed to be at work being useful, you earn anything you get from seeing dildo cakes!
  • This forum is not for children.........you have been warned.
  • 800OVER wrote: »
    This forum is not for children.........you have been warned.

So that means Fed, aka Kristy, aka Dr Tyore should not be here? :)