moving from 2/5, 5/10 limit to 1/2 NL

So this weekend is the big trip to Montreal (trip report forthcoming), but was interested in finally playing some NL games.

So now my n00b questions about that.

What are typical pre-flop raises? (From what I read it seems like $12 pre-flop is pretty standard)

In terms of play, what things do I need to understand moving from the structure of limit to no-limit?

My plan is to continue to play tight however loosening up in late position so I don't scare off any players when I play my AA early with a big raise.

Some general advice would be appreciated as this will be the first time playing live NL.

Comments

• Reflect the table. If standard opens are to $20, then open to $20..
  • Agreed...

I've played 1/2 NL where a raise of $8 will be perfect, right up to $18-$20... find a table that you're comfortable with.... Personally if I ever sat down at a 1/2 where the raising preflop was $20, two words would come to my mind

"Table Change"

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Agreed...

I've played 1/2 NL where a raise of $8 will be perfect, right up to $18-$20... find a table that you're comfortable with.... Personally if I ever sat down at a 1/2 where the raising preflop was $20, two words would come to my mind

"Table Change"

Mark

Huh?

Why on earth would you think that?

If you have a stack of $200 that you want to get all into the centre, $20 is a great bet size.
  • Huh?

Why on earth would you think that?

If you have a stack of $200 that you want to get all into the centre, $20 is a great bet size.

find a table that you're comfortable with..

If you ain't comfortable, you ain't playin your best.

Plus, although it's now becoming more common to have $200, the std buyin for 1/2 used to be $100

Mark
  • zunni74 wrote: »
    So this weekend is the big trip to Montreal (trip report forthcoming), but was interested in finally playing some NL games.

So now my n00b questions about that.

What are typical pre-flop raises? (From what I read it seems like $12 pre-flop is pretty standard)

In terms of play, what things do I need to understand moving from the structure of limit to no-limit?

My plan is to continue to play tight however loosening up in late position so I don't scare off any players when I play my AA early with a big raise.

Some general advice would be appreciated as this will be the first time playing live NL.

Standard raise at the 1/2 tables in Windsor can range anything from 10-15$ preflop, depending on position, eariler position raises a little bit more then late.
  • 1/2 NL I play is pretty loose aggressive, buyins range from $100-$300 and some people buyin for the bigstack at the table which i've seen about $3000.
    ( It's not a big poker room, and its not 24/7....people become maniacs with limited time to play. )