Chopping when not the blinds

One of my first hands from my session I'm BB and look down at AK, the guy in first position calls, and it's folded through the SB leaving only he and I. He offers a chop, and I accept (perhaps a bad idea, opinions?). He turns up 77's and I turn up my AK.. River comes a K and I take the very small pot down. I go to split it and give the other guy the chips, and one player keeps repeating that we can't do that. (since the UTG player wasn't the SB) It's such a small pot, so I kept his half aside and gave it to him on table setup. But really? Should this have been such a big deal?

Comments

• If there are 3 people in the pot you shouldn't be splitting it up. For the most part if you check it down take the pot and be done with the hand. No need to ship back a nickel ;)

So what did the guy in first position have? What I find worse is when the button calls and it is just SB and BB in the hand, then the flop comes and button checks with the SB and BB.....that kills me...

For the most part if you announce your intentions before the flop (IE check it down...bet the flop, check the rest...) no one at the table should complain. Next time someone gives you a hard time let them know they have a target on them now and you are going to be stacking them ;)
  • I don't get the point of playing poker if your going to chop pots, especially hands such as 77 or AK. I personally will only chop blinds if neither of us have looked at our hands.
  • What I find worse is when the button calls and it is just SB and BB in the hand, then the flop comes and button checks with the SB and BB.....that kills me...

From niagara two days ago: I was joking with my aggressive table about how they were breaking my heart by not letting me chop with the guy to my right...and it actually worked, they fold to the button...who limps AARGH!

The sb raises to about 1/3 of his stack- both are short with about $150, and I look down at a/qs and say 'fuck you both for ruining my awesome chop, I'm spite raising. All in'

And they bought it :D....called by s/c and a-4o...SHIP! (I got chops for the next three orbits)
  • The only time you should be chopping like that is when the house takes a flat rake ($x) on any flop regardless of pot size.
  • Part of my logic was that I was new to the table with no-one that I'd played with before. I've learned that killing people with kindness tends to pay off with weaker players (low-medium strength hands get checked down) so I always accept blind chops.

Being honest, this request threw me off and I didn't know how to respond. I just said yes because it seemed to make sense at the time and it went along with what I had done previously.

Thanks for the feedback.

Note: I've had AQ's in the BB and chopped a pot with the SB (who had TT strangely enough), it's a courtesy and an image thing. Perhaps not directly +ev but it seems to help long term.
  • I like chopping as well....you get a nice image and i find when the table things you are a nice guy they dont realize how much money you take from the table every so often....people pay attention more to the mean players or the ones who aren't there to socialize but to smash the table....

Smash the table in a nice way...not a mean way :)
  • They were right, you cant ever split a pot with someone if you were the sole winner. But maybe when the guy said chop, he was either a) dumb and didnt realize he limped in and thought he and you were the blinds, or b) was meaning 'check it down' rather than 'chop', cause Ive seen that done a few times. But the real winner always takes the pot, never split.

There has been instances where its spot 8 and 9 at the showdown, they both show each other their cards and, 9 says you win. 8 tosses his cards in and reaches out to grab his pot, but the dealer hasnt seen any cards and MUST give the pot to the only guy left with cards. So 9 (the 'losing hand') gets the pot. He wanted to give it to 8 cause he knew he won, but no can do. He had to keep all the chips. No one can ever give anyone else at the table any chips. So there are never any 'chop' deals, except the blinds.