Value Bet River?

Been thinking about this hand, and not sure if its a spot for a bet.

2/5 NL game at Fallsview. First orbit at the table, probably the 5th hand or so. Players are unknown and table has been generally tight passive in the hands I've observed.

Hero in the CO, a limper in UTG+2 and hero raises to $20 with A10s in the CO. SB and UTG+2 calls.

Flop 7 3 2 rainbow is checked around. Turn is a 10 which also puts 2 clubs on board..checked to hero who fires $40 and called both ways.

River brings an off-suit 6. TPTK against 2 unknown players on a relative but not exactly dry pot for a limper/blind...do you bet this river?

Comments

• westside8 wrote: »
    Been thinking about this hand, and not sure if its a spot for a bet.

2/5 NL game at Fallsview. First orbit at the table, probably the 5th hand or so. Players are unknown and table has been generally tight passive in the hands I've observed.

Hero in the BB, a limper in UTG+2 and hero raises to $20 with A10s in the CO. SB and UTG+2 calls.

Flop 7 3 2 rainbow is checked around. Turn is a 10 which also puts 2 clubs on board..checked to hero who fires $40 and called both ways.

River brings an off-suit 6. TPTK against 2 unknown players on a relative but not exactly dry pot for a limper/blind...do you bet this river?

Do you think either are capable of calling the $20. preflop with either 8,9 or 4,5? If so they made the str8 on the river, now if i was one of them I would have led out on the river but you never know... Check behind is my vote given no other reads...

edit: just had another look at your post, were you in the BB or the cutoff? Im confused, two Heros?
  • He knows what the CO is holding so I will assume that is him.

Stack sizes would be helpfull.

45 is the only draw that got there so I don't think that is very likely. This is a two pair kind of board so if you value bet I don't think you can call a shove if it is big.

88, 99, and weaker T may call a value bet if you make it small enough. I like about 1/2 pot on the river in this spot.
  • My bad...I was CO...

Both players have hero covered...I don't think there was a single player with less than max buy-in except for myself since I just sat down.
  • I would say no based on the calls on the turn and the fact that the river opened a lot of doors. If a player sensed weakness they'd prob shove and you wouldn't be able to call.
  • also, what's your image
    do you have that i will bet that river if check to me image?
    also, the villian, callingstation or fish, good player?
    against callingstation and good player, i would value bet this river.
    against a fish, who like to check with made hand. i'll check behind
  • also, what's your image
    do you have that i will bet that river if check to me image?
    also, the villian, callingstation or fish, good player?
    against callingstation and good player, i would value bet this river.
    against a fish, who like to check with made hand. i'll check behind

5th hand.
    No real reads or image.

Check behind. You really have no read on the table. The check call by the tight passive suggest over pair (possibly set). Could also have been chasing with an Ace, but atleast you can get some information by checking behind.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    45 is the only draw that got there so I don't think that is very likely. This is a two pair kind of board so if you value bet I don't think you can call a shove if it is big.

89 as well.

I prob just check it down.
  • 2/5 NL game at Fallsview. First orbit at the table, probably the 5th hand or so. Players are unknown and table has been generally tight passive in the hands I've observed.

Yah but what is your image? ARe you LuckBok the crazy asian?
    Hero in the CO, a limper in UTG+2 and hero raises to $20 with A10s in the CO. SB and UTG+2 calls.

Why did you not bet the flop? You want to take this pot down and here is your chance. A ~$45 bet should be good, you also have position and no one
    knows anything about you.

If you get called, and hit on the turn then you look for pot control. As you did hit, I don't mind checking the turn ( as your a little ahead or way behind) and if checked to on the river I would want to value bet.

[/QUOTE]

Probably, but I would feel sick about a reraise here. As played your pretty passive and are going to get a call from JT, QT, KT, maybe 99 so a value bet isnt horrible, but if you have to fold to a reraise it would suck.
  • I like the idea of betting as a blocker bet. If you check, someone may just make the terrible play of pushing or overbetting the river and forcing you to fold.

If you put the bet out there first, they'll probably just call with hands you beat and raise hands you lose to, making your decision easier.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    I like the idea of betting as a blocker bet. If you check, someone may just make the terrible play of pushing or overbetting the river and forcing you to fold.

Not sure I follow BBC, he's the CO and last to act on the river. BB and UTG+2 are the only ones in the pot.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Not sure I follow BBC, he's the CO and last to act on the river. BB and UTG+2 are the only ones in the pot.

I'm pretty sure hes talking about the bet on the turn.
  • No, I just misread the hand and though Hero was in EP.

After two river checks, I bet folding to a raise.
  • I guess I read it wrong too. I don't see the point of betting out, because the only way I see you getting called is if you are beat, so I really don't see the need to risk the extra chips.
  • The only way you can bet here is with the intention of calling a raise from one of your opponents (obv folding if both get money in there).

You would have to call a raise since your line looks like, errr SCREAMS, air. So the majority of the times you get raised here it doesn't mean you're beat. Personally, I would value bet this and keep a sharp eye on my opponents looking for any tell I can get.

I disagree with "the only way I see you getting called is if you are beat". Since your line looks so aired out you're probably getting called by any 10 from the first opponent to act, and any pair from the other opponent.

/g2
  • With two possible check-raisers, I would check and hope that one pair is good enough to take the $182 pot down. So did you check and win, or were you check-raised?
  • One option that I might consider is a small suck bet. ... a small bet 20-40% pot that will be called by weaker hands.

The big problem with a suck bet is that it looks weak ... and it is weak.

Therefore is defines your hand and opens you up to getting bluffed.

Here it works best if you opponents are dumb as stumps. If they take it for a post oak bluff ... all the better.

So you might want to check to see if there is a puddle of drool on the floor near your opponents before you try a small suck bet.
  • first of all i think you should be c-betting this flop, and like bbz says bet fold to a raise
  • i just read this again
    i would check that river
    reason: not many hand you can call a river bet, that you can beat.
    1) if you bet, and got raised, there is no need to invest that much.
    2) if you bet, weaker hand fold,
    3) checking it, also induce bluff by weaker hand that you can beat.
    as how much a river bet to call
    you have to work out your pot odds
    hand you beat
    hand beat you
    how many time you have to be good here to justify a river call.
  • I know this isn't your question, but what is your goal in raising this hand preflop? Do you think you have the best hand, do you just want to get the blinds out, do you want a freecard on the flop? I agree with many above in that you need to bet this flop, and for many reasons. You are new to the table and what an aggressive image so that your big hands will get paid later in the session, plus you want to take a stab at a raised pot. You don't want to be pegged as an ABC player at a NL table.

Anyhow, I value bet vs a typical tight/passive field in this spot..roughly $60 should do here. The way 2/5 plays you are getting called by any ten here and your opponents are easily holding kt/qt/jt/t9 often enough to make it a solid play.
  • Bet the flop. As played it's pretty close, I think I check readless but if the average player is bad/stationy enough in that game an $80ish bet is probably good. Instamuck to a checkraise though.