Computer Help....

Hoping someone here might be able to help. I have an IBM thinkpad that I use at home when I don't have access to the home PC since I am running linksys. Not sure what happened in the last day or so but I can't get online and there is nothing wrong with the wireless itself cause the PC is fine and the Laptop shows its picking up Linksys. When I click on my Wireless Network Connection status it shows I am connected but if I click on Support everything is gone as far as information. Basically it looks like this.

Address Type: <Unavailable>
IP Address: <Unavailable>
Subnet Mask: <Unavailable>
Default Gateway: <Unavailable>

And on top of that every minute or so an error box pops up for Internet Explorer that basically says "Internet Explore has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

I close that and it pops up about 40-50 secs later, even though I don't have a IE window open.

Can anyone offer an opinion or help short of snapping this thing in half and getting a new laptop?

Comments

• Easy solution if you don't have much on it, reinstall windows.

Other than that try pluggin in directly to the router and see if you can get a connection. Remove IE (Add remove programs -> add remove windows components -> look for IE) and install firefox (it is way better).

Run an Anti Virus program (AVG is good), and spyware program (Spybot).

Check if you are getting an IP -> open a dos prompt (Run -> type "cmd") , then type ipconfig. If you are then you should be connected.

Those are some easy things u can start with. Post the results of trying those.
  • Thanks Graham.. I removed IE like you said and BAM after rebooting everything works like it did before. Fuck I was ready to put this thing behind the rear tires of my car and back up over it a few times.

Thanks again!!
  • Glad I could help!