What "gimmics" do you use?

It's interesting to see the different props people will use during a game/tourney. In the WSOP shows you'll see things like:

- Sunglasses

These seem pretty standard but I think that they are a bit of a sign of weakness. I mean I'd be more "nervous" having Phil Ivy give me his serial killer stare over "The Fossil" looking at me with his dino-eye glasses. Chris Furgeson (a.k.a. Jesus) using the mirrored sunglasses was a bit confusing ... I mean wouldn't you want to try and cut down on any possible reflection? Luske (I think it was) likes to wear his sunglasses upside down ... w/e.

- Hats

Baseball hats, cowboy hats ... haven't seen a sumbrero yet but I'm sure they're on the way.

- Clothes

I would think the "better dressed" people have a bit of an edge over the "loose t/sweat shirt" people. Kinda makes me think that they're more aware of themselves, in control a bit more.

- Gold coins, medallions, etc.

Paper weights to use to put on your cards can be kind of interesting.

Do you tend to stare straight ahead when you've made a move and are waiting for the next person to act or do you stare at them or just look around?

Comments

• - Clothes

I would think the "better dressed" people have a bit of an edge over the "loose t/sweat shirt" people. Kinda makes me think that they're more aware of themselves, in control a bit more.
    On the other hand, if you're playing a big tournament that will last a long time, wearing comfortable clothing might make it easier 8 hours into the day than wearing a suit... Style is nice, but in the end I don't think that "edge" is greater than just being comfortable at the table.

hork.
  • I've had a guy tell me that if he ever plays in my home game he's going to wear a full motorcycle helmet with the visor down. :)

I occasionally play in very small buy-in single-table tournaments with friends of friends, etc... to teach them how to play. The players are either new or very new. The first thing that everyone seems to have learned, however, is that it's important to wear dark sunglasses, baseball caps, and jewellery, and to chew on toothpicks, in order to be a good poker player. I've never once said that the money they've spent on these accessories would be better used buying a basic texas hold'em strategy book, but believe me, I always think it. ;)
    Do you tend to stare straight ahead when you've made a move and are waiting for the next person to act or do you stare at them or just look around?
    I usually just click over to the other game I'm playing in while I'm waiting for my opponent to make a decision, or if I'm all-in. Oh, you mean in a LIVE game? ;) I think it's best to just stare at the board. More specifically, don't stare at any one card in particular... go from one card to the next to the next and then back again. That's what I did in my most terrifying poker moment ever--enduring a long Devilfish stare-down--and it worked.

Cheers,
    all_aces
  • Do you tend to stare straight ahead when you've made a move and are waiting for the next person to act or do you stare at them or just look around?
    I remember playing my first live tournament (it was actually Zithal's Pokerforum member tournament) and I had a hard time with some of the staredowns that I was being faced with.

There was an article in one of the CPP mags where the writer will pick the chip in the pot that is closest to him and pretend that it starts to glow and spin and play "It's a small world" at a very very slow rate... He'll focus on this until his opponent is done. I've tried it a couple of times and it seems to keep me from giving anything away.

hork.
  • I thought of a possible way to unnerve an opponent when I'm waiting for them to make their move after me. I'm pretty sure it should work.

What I will do is after pushing my chips in I'll stare right at them, kinda with a blank look on my face then I'll start moving my hips like a retriever on a friendly leg. I think the combination of the stare and the thrusting of the hips should distract just about anybody.

What do you think?
  • I've never once said that the money they've spent on these accessories would be better used buying a basic texas hold'em strategy book, but believe me, I always think it.

This reminds me.... all_aces, I still have your Elvis sunglasses sitting safely on a shelf for whenever you'd like to pick them up.

:D
  • Hey, those are for driving!!! Lol, seriously there's nothing wrong with wearing sunglasses at the table, and I do it sometimes (though more often, I don't). Thanks for keeping them safe for me... sorry I haven't been to K/W yet but next time I'm in the area I'll be contacting you.

Cheers,
    all_aces
  • Dick Hertz can vouche for this.

I usually wear a Panama Hat and Sunglasses at a Tourney. I get a lot of comments at first but that's about it.

Here's what a Panama Hat looks like:

capri.jpg
  • All I wear is a hat, and that's only if I don't gel my hair. Otherwise, I don't need anything to hide myself behind.