2 Canadians in Top 3 OPOY

In the February 13, 2008 issue of Card Player magazine, there is an article about the Online Player of the Year final standings for 2007. Matt "ch0ppy" Kay, a 19-year old from the poker capital of the world (Waterloo), was #1 for the longest time, but was edged out with 10 days left by Isaac "westmenloAA" Baron. The 20-year old had total OPOY winnings of U$1,036,452, while Kay had U$823,067.

Below are the Canadians I noticed from the OPOY database:
3. Sorel "Imper1um" Mizzi, a 21-year old from Toronto - U$615,419
29. Ryan "eatschips" Fisler, Waterloo - U$333,755
107. Mike "Timex" McDonald, 18-year old from Waterloo - U$164,035
107. Owen "ocrowe" Crowe, Halifax - U$181,719
120. Russell "rdcrsn" Carson, Toronto - U$224,669
231. Casey "bigdogpckt5s" Jarzabek, St. Catharines - U$138,972
241. "SirWatts", Waterloo - U$186,288

Comments

• rdcrsn is killing it this year so far
  • who is Ryan Fisler...I've never heard of him before?
  • Him and his partners run the website

http://www.realpokertraining.com

They were featured in the KW Record just before Christmas
  • it will be interesting to see whether the tax authorities start to go after the online pros for taxes in Canada (from online earnings and live tournament winnings). Too bad the online sites don't let you change your username as it might be easier to stay under the radar and diversify your earnings. There are probably some online players doing this to avoid attention.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    it will be interesting to see whether the tax authorities start to go after the online pros for taxes in Canada (from online earnings and live tournament winnings). Too bad the online sites don't let you change your username as it might be easier to stay under the radar and diversify your earnings. There are probably some online players doing this to avoid attention.

Geez JAH, you are becoming the rain cloud of CPF all of a sudden.

Yer harshin' my buzz man.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Geez JAH, you are becoming the rain cloud of CPF all of a sudden.

Yer harshin' my buzz man.

I try to help a guy fund his education or help keep the taxman away and I get ragged on; Maybe its the lack of sun these days. I will try to come up with a positive post :):)
  • I believe, technically, if your poker winnings are your only source of income, you are considered a professional and are required to disclose your winnings. I remember a guy several years back who was making his money with ProLine betting. They tried to make him pay taxes because they said it was his "profession." Don't exactly know how it turned out in the end.
    Bottom line is, lottery or gambling winnings will never be taxed in Canada, as long as you have a regular job. When gambling is your job, they might try to make you pay, if you have a high profile.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    I believe, technically, if your poker winnings are your only source of income, you are considered a professional and are required to disclose your winnings. I remember a guy several years back who was making his money with ProLine betting. They tried to make him pay taxes because they said it was his "profession." Don't exactly know how it turned out in the end.
    Bottom line is, lottery or gambling winnings will never be taxed in Canada, as long as you have a regular job. When gambling is your job, they might try to make you pay, if you have a high profile.

That's my point; why go around telling all the local newspapers, posting on poker sites, etc. that you took a year off school to play poker full-time; nice way to lose 45% of your winnings without trying. Moral of the story, if you are going to play poker full-time, keep it to yourself!
  • seriously, did Mike stand you up for senior prom or something?

I'm sure he meant to call....