Call or Fold

$0.5/1 LHE 6 max Pokerstars

I am UTG with AJo and raise, it gets re-raised and then capped by the next two players. The re-raiser has played a lot of hands, so I'm not overly concerned about him, it's the next raiser that concerns me. He's shown down a few good hands and seems to be playing well. Anyway, blinds fold. What do you do here? Is this an easy fold or should I be thinking that its LLHE and call to see a flop?

My thinking was that I was probably dominated and I ended up folding.

Comments

• $0.5/1 LHE 6 max Pokerstars

I am UTG with AJo and raise, it gets re-raised and then capped by the next two players. The re-raiser has played a lot of hands, so I'm not overly concerned about him, it's the next raiser that concerns me. He's shown down a few good hands and seems to be playing well. Anyway, blinds fold. What do you do here? Is this an easy fold or should I be thinking that its LLHE and call to see a flop?

My thinking was that I was probably dominated and I ended up folding.

Tough one. You are pretty much looking at a $6.75 pot preflop since the 2 raisers are going to come along, but you are OOP.

What is your table image here?
    Have you been showing down hands similar to what the player that you are concerned with has?
    Have capped preflops been common?

All in all, I think I fold.
    Unless I hit 2pr or better on the flop (or atleast a good draw) I don't like where I'll be in the hand.
  • Yeah, sorry for leaving out details, I was posting at work quickly. I've been pretty tight with only 22% of hands played and 10.5 %PFR That was the first capped round I'd seen in my time at the table.
  • Two thoughts:

A: You're behind... fold

B: You have AJ, and got raised / re-raised.... but, the good news is.. you have implied odds. Call.

Question:

Are you a better post-flop player?

Act accordingly.

But, FWIW, I don't love AJo UTG for a raise in limit poker... limp? Yea, fold? Maybe. Raise? Depends on the table.

Mark
  • I like both Mark's and Hobbes' advice. I like to fold here as it doesn't seem you are too committed.
  • Autofold.
    Despite the nice pot odds and the weak re-raiser, you're way behind the solid capper.

I'd consider calling with at least TT, AJs, KQs, AK, but I wouldn't like it.
    I'd feel a whole lot better about calling with at least JJ or AQs...

But AQ or less?? No way.

AJo is an autofold to a cap here especially in early position.

I'm much more likely to call with 76s than I am with AJo here.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    But, FWIW, I don't love AJo UTG for a raise in limit poker... limp? Yea, fold? Maybe. Raise? Depends on the table.

Mark

Hi Mark!

This is 6max.
    I open raise with AT UTG, and sometimes A9.

For Full Ring I only open raise with AJo UTG on a really weak table.
  • I almost always raise with AJo at a 6 max table. Is this a huge leak? I show a profit on PT for that hand.

Anyway, for the results:

flop comes A24 rainbow betting is capped

turn is another deuce betting is capped

river is an 8 bet-raise-call

"solid" capper rolls over A9o and takes the pot.

At first I was pissed about that hand but then the more I thought about it the more I know I did the right thing. 90-something percent of the time I will be dominated and lose to AK or AQ.

Thanks.
  • I will always open AJ utg for a raise on a 6max table.
  • Anyway, for the results:
    flop comes A24 rainbow betting is capped
    turn is another deuce betting is capped
    river is an 8 bet-raise-call
    "solid" capper rolls over A9o and takes the pot.

Just out of curiosity, what did the other people left in the hand at the end have? Did the original raiser stay in, what about the original capper? What'd they end up with?

I'm just curious as to why it got capped flop and turn.
  • I was the original raiser and folded.
    It ended up the original re-raiser and capper to the river. The original raiser didn't show his hand (is there any way I can find this out?) and the capper had the A9.
    It ended up the original re-raiser and capper to the river. The original raiser didn't show his hand (is there any way I can find this out?) and the capper had the A9.

Depends on the action on the river. Did the orig re-raiser fold to a bet or just not show. If just not show, then it will be in the HH for stars.

Open hand history, under summary, it will you what the player had even if they mucked their hand.
  • Cool,

Thanks!
  • At these stakes, call.
  • Mark says:
    Are you a better post flop player?

I cannot express in words the level of joy and lolaments directly related to this crazy sentence.

Ok, this is limit..so I accept that I maybe way off base but question: Is there such a thing as a worse post flop player that would be relevant here? We've established that he would be calling two bets for two pr. or better.

Please explain in small words.