When it's time to go get up from the table.

Seneca 1/2 NL 100Max.
8 hours

Started getting tired at the end. I think my limit of good poker is about 6 hours.
I made my first ever squeeze play all in for about $230.
I played great for the first 6 hours and sort of ran into a wall.
Have you ever found yourself in a game and found that your reads aren't working.

One thing I need to do is learn how to get up from the table when it's time to go.
Finished okay still up $430, but I need to learn when to quit when I'm tired.

Do you guys have tips on leaving when you need to?

Comments

• Never go for a pee. Then you will know.
  • When the game stops being profitable. That could be 1 hour or 24 hours. You'll just know that you're done.

Since you left +400, I think you picked a good time:)
  • when you start making stupid mistakes or the wife keeps calling you on the cellphone. I usually play until a pre-determined time or if I am up a certain amount, but I know this is not suggested. If the table is really wild, I may stay longer or if I find the table really tough, I may leave earlier or try another table.
  • When you start noticing that you are tired and start feeling like you want to go home.

Mind you, Live poker's pretty boring. Most people always feel tired and like leaving. Are you associating two independent events (tired + losing)?
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    When you start noticing that you are tired and start feeling like you want to go home.

Mind you, Live poker's pretty boring. Most people always feel tired and like leaving. Are you associating two independent events (tired + losing)?

I don't find myself bored at live poker too often yet. I find lots to occupy my time with when I'm at the table. I talk with my neighbour and I play a little game with myself when I'm not in the hand.
    I call it, Over Under Call the hand.
    For each person in the hand I guess what their hole cards are and if I'm over that guess, I add one chip to the left pile. If I'm under I add a chip to the right pile. This also lets me know if I'm consistently guessing too high or too low.

Towards the end I did two costly plays. I three bet an UTG loose aggressive short stack player's raise with AQo. And I bet the ace high flush and ran into a straight flush (not even considering the 578s board.)
  • I play a little game with myself when I'm not in the hand.

This is why Drtyore doesn't wear pants :D
  • And I bet the ace high flush and ran into a straight flush (not even considering the 578s board.)

Irrelevant to the thread, but are you saying you would've checked down/check call with the second nuts when only one hand beat you?
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Irrelevant to the thread, but are you saying you would've checked down/check call with the second nuts when only one hand beat you?

I'm nowhere near good enough at reading to avoid doubling him up in this situation.... what's bugging me is I didn't even consider the board to see that a straight flush was out there... I just saw I had the A-high flush and bet the unpaired board. Fortunately he wasn't very deep.
  • I'm nowhere near good enough at reading to avoid doubling him up in this situation.... what's bugging me is I didn't even consider the board to see that a straight flush was out there... I just saw I had the A-high flush and bet the unpaired board. Fortunately he wasn't very deep.

Ahh..gotcha. Just wanted clarification...
  • i think you pick a goob time to leave,but for me want i begin to make some mistake, i get out.
  • i've never found myself stuck playing for that long but i havent played much outside of home games.. hopefully i can take some advise out of this topic tho
  • My advice, if your there so long you can't stand your own stink, go home.

2nd piece, if the young hottie wants you to go home with her, it's time to go. She'll kick yer sorry ass out once she's done with you but wtf, it's all good. (only happened to me once but that's fine too).
  • Forget where I read it, but when you start to wonder what time it is, that is usually an indicator. YMMV, of course.