Poker Research Essay

Currently I am in a first year English class at my local university, and we are about to start working on a research essay. The assignment is worth 35% of my final mark and I wish to do well on it. I didnt like any of the topics provided so I asked the prof if I could do it on poker. She agreed, and now I just need to decide on a specific aspect of poker for my topic.

Unfortunately it is not a how to essay, so I cant just explain strategy.

I was thinking something a long the lines of Poker in Canada.

any suggestions or opinions would be much appreciated.

cheers,

Irah

Comments

• I think that a paper on one of these two things would be fun for you to write:

a) What seperates a long-term winning player from a long-term losing player? (If you can't get into strategy/how-to stuff, there are still a number of ways to answer this question.)

b) Why is poker so popular? What do people like about it?

You could easily give both of these topics a 'Poker in Canada' spin. Writing an essay specifically about poker in Canada may prove to be difficult, because really, poker in Canada is pretty much the same as poker anywhere IMHO. If people want to play poker, they will find a way to do so, regardless of where they live.

Sounds like an interesting project. Let me know how it turns out!

Cheers,
    all_aces
  • talk about the poker "boom" in the last few years, expecially with all the TV stuff and HUGE tourneys going on
  • If you are of a psychological nature, you could do a paper on why people prefer poker to the other table games on offer at a b&m.
  • wow!

thanks for the quick respnses everyone.

I think every suggestion is do able. However, I agree with aces that simply "canadian" may be more difficult.

My initial proposal to my prof was the "Constitant winner/looser". However as I sat down to brainstorm, it was really difficult to not delve into a "how to" format.

I still really want to investigate this topic so...

She asked us to propose several questions regarding our topic.
    Here are two I came up with:

1) Why do loosing players keep playing?

2) Although it is skill, why do winning players still have loosing sessions?

I dont want this post to be too long, so I will leave it at that. I am currently off to brainstorm the other topic of "the poker boom" ( which may be easier to write on simply due to the wsop/wpt/CPT )

thanks again for the awesome replys
    pokerforum.ca rocks!

cheers,

Irah
  • number 2 there is kinda self evident isn't it? there is a little bit of luck involved with poker, even really good players get unlucky sometimes. even really really unlucky sometimes. i speak from experience... being really really unlucky, not a good player. ;)

cheers