Laptop USB question

Ok guys, now I am pretty computer proficient but I have no (cheap) solution for this one. I've got an older Dell D600 laptop that I resurrected from a scrap heap, ie free, and have been using for testing purposes for about a year. Just recently the 2 USB ports on it have failed, primarily due to physical abuse. I took it apart but these USB ports are physically part of the system board so forget fixing them. Now other than that it works well with the touch pad etc but I really prefer an external mouse. Anyone know if there is an adapter to either turn the serial port into a USB port or perhaps a PCMCIA card that has a USB output? Lots of USB to serial adapters but nothing the other way that I am aware of..

Comments

• Probably not since none of the other ports carry power. How about a serial mouse?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Ok guys, now I am pretty computer proficient but I have no (cheap) solution for this one. I've got an older Dell D600 laptop that I resurrected from a scrap heap, ie free, and have been using for testing purposes for about a year. Just recently the 2 USB ports on it have failed, primarily due to physical abuse. I took it apart but these USB ports are physically part of the system board so forget fixing them. Now other than that it works well with the touch pad etc but I really prefer an external mouse. Anyone know if there is an adapter to either turn the serial port into a USB port or perhaps a PCMCIA card that has a USB output? Lots of USB to serial adapters but nothing the other way that I am aware of..

Yes a serial mouse will work.
    If it's older it will have a PS/2 style mouse/keyboard interface.