new 24" LCD, pro and con

i brought a new 24" LCD westinghouse brand monitor at boxing day.
it's a PAVN panel, 1920x1200. very sharp.
of course i took this out of my bankroll. cost $379 tax included at best buy.
pro: definely easier multi-table with bigger screen.
con: only 6 table.
i was planning to do 9 table on this monitor plus 4 from my 17" notebook.
but this tile mode goes 1,2,3,4,6,12.......no 8 or 10....disappoint.
i cannot use the monitor with my notebook monitor due to different resolution.....
but over all, 6 tabling is better then 4 table.
i write this to others who may be in the market for new LCD.
if you planning to do more then 6 table. don't be cheap like me. get a 27" or 30" LCD.
i original thinking to purchase 27" for 659 or 30" for 850. because 24" cost 450-550. but when i went to bestbuy, it was onsale for $329. i just can't justify spending extra $300-500bux for 3"-6"bigger.
overall, i'm very happy with quality and size of westinghouse.

Comments

• i brought a new 24" LCD westinghouse brand monitor at boxing day.
    it's a PAVN panel, 1920x1200. very sharp.
    of course i took this out of my bankroll. cost $379 tax included at best buy.
    pro: definely easier multi-table with bigger screen.
    con: only 6 table.
    i was planning to do 9 table on this monitor plus 4 from my 17" notebook.
    but this tile mode goes 1,2,3,4,6,12.......no 8 or 10....disappoint.
    i cannot use the monitor with my notebook monitor due to different resolution.....
    but over all, 6 tabling is better then 4 table.
    i write this to others who may be in the market for new LCD.
    if you planning to do more then 6 table. don't be cheap like me. get a 27" or 30" LCD.
    i original thinking to purchase 27" for 659 or 30" for 850. because 24" cost 450-550. but when i went to bestbuy, it was onsale for $329. i just can't justify spending extra $300-500bux for 3"-6"bigger.
    overall, i'm very happy with quality and size of westinghouse.

Actually that's a very good deal!
    The next step up from 1920x1600 is 2560 x 1600.
    Last time I checked 30" 2560x1600 monitors were about $1800. (they might be cheaper now)

For that price you can buy a computer, graphics cards and 2 1920x1600 monitors.
  • Yeah dude. Resolution is different from screen size. Doesn't matter how big you go, it doesn't give you more room on the monitor, each table just gets bigger. Resolution is what counts.

Most laptop video cards won't drive a screen at a higher resolution than what the laptop screen is capable of.

Off a desktop it is much easier to multiscreen by adding a 2nd cheap card or a single card that has two outputs.
  • That particular Westinghouse doesn't have particular good reviews. Its not bad for the price but personally I feel you can definitely do better. Just my 2 cents.
  • Dell 24" WFP monitor is $369 today only. Scoop that up if you want a great monitor at a bargain price.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&sku=320-6095&dgc=AF&cid=3881&lid=77903
  • actyper wrote: »
    Dell 24" WFP monitor is $369 today only. Scoop that up if you want a great monitor at a bargain price.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&sku=320-6095&dgc=AF&cid=3881&lid=77903

I have one. It's good, but the base broke the day I got it.
  • I have one. It's good, but the base broke the day I got it.

Dude no matter how good the picture is, you still can't have sex with what you see on it.
  • Picked up a Samsung 22" LCD to go on my desk when I'm at home. Came with speakers and a webcam included as well, but that's just gravy since I got it b/c it was on sale and already have those on my laptop itself. I have a 12" Dell so it's hard to multi-task operations on different windows or multi-table. Got it for about $350 + tax from Best Buy as well. Didn't want to do the wait forever in line or risk not picking up this deal, b/c it was about $130 off. Ordered it online Christmas night. Paid a premium to have it shipped to me though to avoid the line, but picked up some gift cards for Christmas from family so it sort-of cancelled it out.

Not sure if there's been reviews (for good or bad) on this one either though.
  • moose wrote: »
    Dude no matter how good the picture is, you still can't have sex with what you see on it.

lol funny stuff.