vegas so far...

Its late and Im exhausted but here goes;

Got in Late last night. Staying at the Platinum behind Bally's. Incredible deal, two minutes from the mono and $1500 for the week in a two room suite with full kitchen and amazing bathroom. Yes Mark and Mario could both fit in the spa tub.

Christmas eve and everything is in full swing thought it might be slow but it seems to be in full motion.

I went for a 3 mile jog this morning to the grocery store.. lets say organic is something they realy dont believe in down here. $40 bucks in cab rides later I ended up a store only 5 blocks from the hotel with everything I needed... google maps is plus EV... if you remember to use it!!!

So here is the poker; I am able to play the evenings, but will try and swing a $540 at the Bellagio. As for today I played the MGM $125 plus alternates. Had 43 runners, including my 2 rebuys (alternates but there was no waiting list).

I ran into a set on a AA vs QQ commited preflop and a two pair AK vs KT so I had to rebuy. There was NO tourney pros, so I rebought as I was able to steal at will and most times take down pots with 3 bets on a flop.

Then the deck hit me across the face. I made a comeback from the 100/200 level with 2800 and in 4 orbits was at 27k about 8k+ average stack. Then this hand came up.

Final table. Me on the Cutoff with QQ, big stack on button has about 54K. Blinds 600/1200 with 100 ante. I made it 3800 to go and the Button flat called. Pretty much a NIT so I gave him an underpair to my queens with his FC.

Flop 682, I check he pots and I push. He insta calls and I get up to go as I figure he has a set. He flips jacks and doesn't get any help and I am chip leader.

Blinds go up to 800/1600 with 200 ante and the table becomes mega weak tight. For example the button limped into me with an M3 and KJ.
With 8 players left, someone suggests that we take a buy in back $125 each and play for the remainder and almost the whole table agrees. I say pound salt as I pretty much need to win to get back my three buy ins (not quite as the prize pool is 4300 and it pays top four) the TD says pound salt and me and the monkey give them all the finger.

I am able to steal at will and finally two micro stacks push for about 2600 each, with the blinds 800/1600 with 300 ante, I make it 3900 with 88 on the button and get a caller in the BB, the guy I doubled up on when he was big stack. I offer to check it down and he says no way...

Flop 288 with two hearts, he checks, i check. Then the turn brings another heart and he pushed for about 7K I ofcourse call with my quads and the monkey says you shoulda checked it down!

With 5 left, they offer me first and want to chop the remainder, me and the monkey want to play it out for shits and bananas but figure what the hell it's christmas and I take down my first tourny here for $1720 and a fancy button that says I am a daily tourny winner. Woohoo...

So heres where it gets funny. I asked one of my good clients if I should lay a bet for them when I am here. She said sure, put $20 on red 00 in roulette. Well I have never played before and as I get there told the roulette spinner what I wanted to do. The only problem is there is no 00red just 00green. So I figure what the hell, maybe she had it wrong and place the bet.

Sure enough it hits, the monkey shits all over my shoulder and I dont even know how much it pays ... the dealer laughs and days $100 and I look figuring that doesnt make sense as it is a 20-1 shot at least! Actually it is a 35-1 shot and he give me $700... I tip him $20 and me and the monkey laugh all the way home on the mono rail.

Merry Fricken Christmas!

More to come later.

Comments

• Redington wrote: »
    google maps is plus EV... if you remember to use it!!!
    Great trip report, as usual. Does anybody know which Las Vegas hotels have easy Internet access, i.e., Internet PC available in the room or in their business centre?
    will try and swing a $540 at the Bellagio. As for today I played the MGM $125 plus alternates. Had 43 runners, including my 2 rebuys (alternates but there was no waiting list).
    Do other Vegas freezeout tournaments allow you to rebuy if there is no waiting list? Note that the Bellagio $540 (Skill Level 5) has a lot more poker play than the MGM $125 (SL 3), but not as much as the Wynn $530/$230 or Venetian $550/$150 (SL 6).
    I am chip leader...
    With 8 players left, someone suggests that we take a buy in back $125 each and play for the remainder and almost the whole table agrees...
    :
    With 5 left, they offer me first and want to chop the remainder
    Neither of their offers makes sense. If players in Vegas are that clueless about equity, then I'm going to whip out my slide rule ;) when I go there soon and get a deal where I get more than first place money! Congrats on the $1,720 unchallenged win. Was 30% tax withheld?
    She said sure, put $20 on red 00 in roulette.
    The 0 and 00 are green, and the numbers 1-36 are half red and half black. The house edge in roulette is a whopping 5.26%, so as with any -EV game of chance, your best strategy is to quit while you're ahead the $700. "cheers:
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Great trip report, as usual. Does anybody know which Las Vegas hotels have easy Internet access, i.e., Internet PC available in the room or in their business centre?

Most do, but you have to pay for it. The access in the platinum is $12 a day for wireless.

BlondeFish wrote: »
    Do other Vegas freezeout tournaments allow you to rebuy if there is no waiting list? Note that the Bellagio $540 (Skill Level 5) has a lot more poker play than the MGM $125 (SL 3), but not as much as the Wynn $530/$230 or Venetian $550/$150 (SL 6).

If there is an alternate list you can relist as an alternate. In this case the list was small after the first blind level and I was able to rebuy right to my seat.
    BlondeFish wrote: »
    Neither of their offers makes sense. If players in Vegas are that clueless about equity, then I'm going to whip out my slide rule ;) when I go there soon and get a deal where I get more than first place money! Congrats on the $1,720 unchallenged win. Was 30% tax withheld?

Exactly, they were all so worried about getting something rather then nothing I was able to control the table. (Well and the fact I had a huge stack but even without it it would have been easy to build - I saw AQ layed down when effective M4 was an average stack)

No no taxes withheld, I was paid in chips! :)

BTW what mags did you want me to pick up for you?
  • Keep it up Tyson!

Merry Christmas to you and yours! (and the monkey of course!)
  • Redington wrote: »
    BTW what mags did you want me to pick up for you?
    The hooker flyers! >:D Just the "What's On" or other visitor's magazine would be great.
    How do the cash game players compare to those at Seneca 1/2?
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    How do the cash game players compare to those at Seneca 1/2?
    I can answer that, much worse, at least in general... See you should be going with us on the 11th...